Eastern Arc LNB Drift?

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I had a EA install about 2 months ago with a 44 switch going to a 722, 612, and 2 211k's. about a week ago I started to notice a lot of drop outs and signal losses the same way as rain fade. I checked the system info and it said lnb drift -22 on 77 and 61.5 and on the 612 it had a red X for the 77 sat. I had a service call and the tech replaced the lnb but after he left it still had a lnb drift message on the 722 and 612 but not on the 211k's. the signals on the transponders went up to the normal range so I don't have as many drop outs as before now , but for how long. anybody have this happen to them or does anybody now why the difference between receivers, for the lnb drift message? Today I still have lnb drift -18 on all 3 sats but only on the 722 and 612 not the 211k's:confused: I also have a side dish for 110 for sd locals ,it's a 500 with a dish pro lnb with a line to the 44 switch.

I don't know why you don't see it on the 211, but an LNB drift of -18 is unacceptable. The limit for LNB drift was about 8; anything over that and Dish would replace the LNBs. The new receivers can compensate for a certain amount of drift, but -18 is excessive.

When I had the LNB drift problem it would vary with the outside temperature. The hotter it got, the drift would increase and I would lose the signal. As the temperature increased, more and more channels would drop out. Then at night, when it cooled off, the drift would decrease and the channels would come back on. Normally, the LNB drift is zero!

Last edited:
That's what I thought since I had this problem before with a lnb and temp. The tech installed a new lnb and it still shows the same drift even at night ,now it's at -21 again. Do you think he installed another bad one or could something else be going on. I have all the stuff to go back to 119,110 and 61 or 129, so I will try to get 1 more lnb set for EA and if that doesn't work I'll just go back to that. The tech also said they were having a lot problems with .4 and they haven't been installing them anymore unless it's the only option.

That's what I thought since I had this problem before with a lnb and temp. The tech installed a new lnb and it still shows the same drift even at night ,now it's at -21 again. Do you think he installed another bad one or could something else be going on. I have all the stuff to go back to 119,110 and 61 or 129, so I will try to get 1 more lnb set for EA and if that doesn't work I'll just go back to that. The tech also said they were having a lot problems with .4 and they haven't been installing them anymore unless it's the only option.

First of your installer is a (insert insult here), there are few problems with the 1K.4's IF you know how to in install them correctly (Dish made some changes to the 1K.4's that if you are not paying attention will mess you up, like the skew counting in the opposite direction). Second you need the rerun check switch to clear the drift number(s) set in memory. Third if the drift is 12 or more and still working the drift number is an error and some thing else is the problem. Forth the drift should be the same for all the receivers I suspect that the cable or one of the fitting is bad.

Last edited:
First of your installer is a (insert insult here), there are few problems with the 1K.4's IF you know how to in install them correctly (Dish made some changes to the 1K.4's that if you are not paying attention will mess you up, like the skew counting in the opposite direction). Second you need the rerun check switch to clear the drift number(s) set in memory. Third if the drift is 12 or more and still working the drift number is an error and some thing else is the problem. Forth the drift should be the same for all the receivers I suspect that the cable or one of the fitting is bad.

I have done a few resets and it still will show -18 to -21 on the 612 and still work. the 211k's show "good" no issues, it will even show a -26 on 110. when the tech got here the lnb drift was -21 and I was having a lot of drop outs, the transponders were in the 10 to 30 range, after a new lnb the signals were 50 to 60 but it still read "lnb drift" on the 612 and 722 but the 211k's said "good". I was able to bypass the 44 switch and still got the same. Does the order of the inputs matter ? right now I have 1-72, 2-77, 3-61.5, 4-110.

The tech that came out the other day was not the original installer, he just saw a low signal with the drift and replaced the lnb to get it back to normal, he didn't check the skew or aim. If the skew and aim was off would it burn out the lnb over a couple months? I just did another check switch and now it says lnb drift 72 (e-22) 77 (e-22) (61.5 (e + 68) 110 (e-18) that's just messed up.

I looked at the at the skew and it's at the 67.8 just like it say's at dishpointer , is that correct or should it be opposite of that or at something else?

I looked at the at the skew and it's at the 67.8 just like it say's at dishpointer , is that correct or should it be opposite of that or at something else?

What I meant was that on most of dishnetwork dishes the skew marking are on the right side and count up (increasing above decreasing below) while on the 1000.4 they're on the left and count down (decreasing above and increasing bellow). As I said before if the drift is more than 12 and you are receiving signal from that satellite at all it is an error. You said that the signal is low try repeaking the dish, I have had receivers give me false drift readings from low signal.

The tech will be back tomorrow so I'll let him make any adjustments. right now the elavation is at about 43 but the dishpointer says it should be 51.4. I'll see what happens after the visit, thanks

the skew and elevation are not the issue. if the signal is good, then its good. as for the drift, if the lnb was replaced twice, you do not have drift and never did. have the receiver replaced, and have the tech check the cable and ALL fittings connections to it.
just my opinion.

I'm suspecting a cable issue. Tight bends, crimps, water in the line, unshielded, or under rated cable.
However I have seen multiple plus family LNB's die off because they were connected to a switch.
Aim doesn't seem to be the issue at all as the signal levels jumped when the old LNB was replaced.

It's weird that its the 2 dvr's and not the 211k's that have the drift. I'm still getting drop outs even with higher signals. what should my signals be for N.W. Florida?

211's only use half the frequency range that the dual tuners do.
If the tech shows up with a Super Sat Buddy have him turn on frequency deviation
(menu, options, freq dev on, it will be located where the lnb type label was when he has a locked signal)
and check the lines going to the dual tuners at the switch, then at the rcvr.
If the deviation is racing or is over 1200 he needs to focus on that portion of the lines.

I've decided to go back to my 110 119 61.5 set-up with the option to add either 129 or 72 if needed, I don't need them now but I will still have the 44 switch for a 4th sat. I was able to cut down some tree's and get a good LOS to 110 and 119 "80+"" for most transponders, but not 129 unless I do a roof mount. I have a clear LOS to 61.5 and I have a dish 500,1000 or a super dish to choose from to add the 61.5. I want the strongest signal possible for the spotbeam for my area, which is "3". My question is which size dish will get the best and strongest signal for 61.5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)