Eastern Arc - No Guide Data

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I just setup a 1000.4 dish for the first tonight yesterday and none of my shows recorded. I get all signals on 77, 72 and 61.5 in the 50's and 60's just fine. The Guide only shows around an hour or two worth of data. It said it was downloading Guide Data but it still only gives me an hour or two's worth of data.

I am also curious, if someone switches from Western Arc to Eastern Arc, do you have to reprogram your timers (particularly for the local channels) as they are channel mapped to a different channel even though you told it to record to the mapped channel such as 3, 8, 11,13 ?

I am wondering if I should just stay on Western Arc. What is the advantage of Eastern Arc over Western Arc anyways other than someone not having line of site to Western Arc?

You should be able to go ahead in the guide, to where there is no information, and it will tell you it needs to update, that usually works well.

There is no difference as far as the receiver is concerned. If the show slated to record is there, it will record, regardless of how it got there. I know for a fact, I have both ARC's (parts of) and most times the channel comes from the EA, but every once in awhile a channel will be from the WA, and never a problem recording.

What made you switch to the EA since apparently you were on and get the WA ok? There is no real advantage in either ARC assuming you have new equipment.

The differences just off the top of my head;
WA gives you SD locals, EA does not
JVJapan during the free news is only on the EA (and 118)
KBS I believe is only on the EA (and 118)

Last edited:
You should be able to go ahead in the guide, to where there is no information, and it will tell you it needs to update, that usually works well.

There is no difference as far as the receiver is concerned. If the show slated to record is there, it will record, regardless of how it got there. I know for a fact, I have both ARC's (parts of) and most times the channel comes from the EA, but every once in awhile a channel will be from the WA, and never a problem recording.

What made you switch to the EA since apparently you were on and get the WA ok? There is no real advantage in either ARC assuming you have new equipment.

The differences just off the top of my head;
WA gives you SD locals, EA does not
JVJapan during the free news is only on the EA (and 118)
KBS I believe is only on the EA (and 118)

I went forward in the Guide and it did not ask to download the data like it normally does with other receivers. That is what got me stumped at first. I unplugged it for ten seconds like it said to do then plugged it back in with no luck. It did not record some of my shows yesterday as a result even when the show was on the guide in the next hour. I finally read something on here where it said to unplug it for ten seconds and do a check switch and that done the trick.

I bought an Eastern Arc dish off of a guy yesterday for cheap in case someone else around here needed one and I did not notice the reflector was bent until he already left. I then decided that I needed to try to bend it back into place to see if I can still get a decent signal with it so I went ahead and set the dish up and got a decent signal on all the satellites.

I have already switched back to my original setup of Western Arc with 77 add on since there were funky stuff going on like it trying to record shows that I did not tell it to record and it showing the existing show as Info Not Available but the title of the show correctly as well after the Guide Data got complete when I went to the program schedule of what was going to record. It was back to normal when I returned to my Western Arc + 77 setup. I did not want to lose anymore recordings and did not want to have to redo all of my timers.

I hope Dish Network, in the future, will address this issue of timers being out of whack when switching arcs so that people do not have to redo a lot if not all of their timers.

I have both ARC's, as I stated. No problem with timers or the guide. This Winter (There is a post here about it somewhere) as a test I disconnected the EA, rebooted, and with no problem at all everything was fine. Went back to both ARC's, and all ok to this day. After reading your post earlier, I went to just the WA again, and any channels on 119/110 that I already have on 61.5/72.7 are in the guide, with correct timers, correct guide, as it was this Winter. I then went to just the EA, again with no problem.
I don't know why in your case your receiver had a hard time but I don't think it is a common Dish problem.

We have channels on both arc for the simple reason of LOS. Whatever the reason someone is not able to receive certain satellites, we have the option of the other arc. The programming, times, dates, etc. would be the same for either arc. I don't believe the satellite plays any part in the timers since the information would be the same for either arc. A check switch is the best manner to force a download of the program guide if a hard reset doesn't work.

The reason why I have mixed arc is due to the fact that I want HD locals which is on 77 for my MPEG-4 receiver and have to keep 110/119/129 for an MPEG-2 receiver.

I have a eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish with a side sat for 110 sat. I had it setup for AAD distants from L.A. ,till they dropped Hd versions. I also get some locals I didn't get from my locals pack on eastern arc and the west coast time zone version of ION.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts