Eastern Arc Problems in Maine?

atvman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
My brother inlaw is thinking of getting Dish Network installed. When he talked with the retail owner he was told they are having problems with the single dish solution (eastern arc 1000.4) and would be installing 2 dishes like I have. Has anyone heard of problems with eastern arch in Maine, or is the retailer trying to use up his supply of 2 dish install?:rolleyes:

Since the satellites at 77 and 72.7 were designed for other locations, the footprint isn't quite perfect. The signal drops off pretty dramatically in the northern part of Maine, particularly on 77W.

Dish makes a "1000.5" EA antenna that is essentially a Dish 1000+ repoint kit that is supposed to offer improved reception over the 1000.4

Not sure if this will work, but Nelson61 made maps showing the footprints

E8 at 77:
attachment.php

E6 at 72.7:
attachment.php

Go to...

dishpointer(dot)com and enter his address. Pick the 1000.4 way down the list of sats and check the elevation, direction, etc.. I don't think it should be a problem in Maine.
Ger

Sorry, thought you replied well after me. Misread the time indexes.

It says noting about LOS as that is not the issue. Satellite footprint is.

Thanks for the replies. The location is Auburn,Maine which is southern Maine. This makes me wonder also how well 1000.4 dish would work in Rangeley area at my camp:rolleyes:.

I talked to a local retailer and he said that the signal for the sat at 77 degrees has a week signal which only has HD PPV. Even if you were not watching 77 degrees programming if the signal get too low, the lost sat screen comes up. He said if this is a proplem that it is best to block the 77 lnb, do a check switch and this will elliminate the problem but also the PPV programming on 77. :)

I had an customer that was on a dish 500. He quit and went to cable for a year and wanted to come back to dish. When i signed him back up, I installed eastern arc 1000.4 antenna. After 3 rainy days here in Detroit , ( he called me every day telling me of loss of sig.) i Finally put up a 2 dish solution. 110/119/61.5. have not herd from him sence.

Defenitly lower sigs on eastern arc.

I had an customer that was on a dish 500. He quit and went to cable for a year and wanted to come back to dish. When i signed him back up, I installed eastern arc 1000.4 antenna. After 3 rainy days here in Detroit , ( he called me every day telling me of loss of sig.) i Finally put up a 2 dish solution. 110/119/61.5. have not herd from him sence.

Defenitly lower sigs on eastern arc.
First, EA is operating with 2/3 slots with sats designed for WA locations. However, in the next few years (including 1 this summer), new sats will be launched to each slot.

I also think that Dish uses more 8PSK on the EA, which is more likely to have to signal loss.

I put a 1000.4 at my brothers here in Central Maine and I ultimately switched to a DPP 500 and a DP 500 attached to the LNB IN today.

A couple of things about the DISH 1000.4 made it not worthwhile, namely the signal strength and the fact it's almost impossible to get a strong 77W with it. I say almost because I tried hard (but not too hard). I can get 50s-70s with the two dish solution (110/119, 61.5), I never saw above a 40 with the 1000.4. On average I saw 30's and high 20's.

My 2 dish setup rarely goes out except for huge downpour and usually only then does my 61.5 dish go out, the 110/119 seems to basically survive weather in general.

Basically I had a 100$ learning experience with the 1000.4.. I'm sure I can use it for something, maybe a motorized FTA dish later in time. It's rather heavy though.

I'm glad I read this post. I've had an existing 500 for 110 and 119 on a pole in the yard for some years. Moved to HD and the installer added a second dish for 61.5 on the house saying that they hadn't been trained for 1000.4 installs yet. This was last summer. I too am getting dropouts due to rain on 61.5 only. I've re-peaked it once already. SE lower Michigan. I've been wanting a single dish solution just to tidy everything up, but I think I should stay with what I have.

I'm in the 40s here on both 72.7 & 77 sats here in southeast Texas too. I think we are on the outskirts of the footprint. In Connecticut , where Scott lives, he gets better signal strengths of high 50s and low 60s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts