Eastern Arc signal levels

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I just installed my 1000.4 dish system. Once I finally found the satellites and completed a switch check I peaked with my signal meter on 72.7. When I checked the signal strengths on the "Point Dish" screen the signals are at least half of what I had when I had my system setup with a Dish 500/300 for 110/119/129.

The new system is showing signal strengths of around 22 - 23 vrs. 55 - 60 on the older system.

This can be right. When I had my Dish 300 still on 61.5 it had a signal strength of about 55.:(

Edit 1: My receivers, all though I just have 1 connected, are VIP211K with software level L459.

Edit 2: These signal levels aren't right. I am going to put the system back to 110/119/129 in the AM. Once I get everything setup and peaked, I'm going to test the cables I made. I don't think there is anything wrong with them, I've building cables longer than I want to remember, but you never know. So when everything is up and running, I will substitute the cables in line and see what happens. I wish I brought home my handheld spectrum analyzer from work, I could sweep them.

Last edited:
Well I went back to my 10/119/129 configuration. No problems good signal strengths, 110 - 70. 119 - 75 and 129 - 65. After I got the Dish 300 aligned, I tested the cables from my1K.4 system. the three cables tested good with about a 2 point drop max, 65 to 63.

Now the only thing I didn't check was that on Port 3 I had a cable but it stead of going to a receiver I had a 75 ohm termination on it. Could this termination caused my problem? I don't like to leave connectors just hanging.

I keep reading that the 1000.4 is one tricky beast to aim.

It definitely is one pain in the butt to aim and peak properly. It took me a couple of days and trips back and forth from the house, to the dish and to the house and to the dish, till I got good signals. The elevation rod is another one you can adjust it up and down and check each time to see if your signals come up or go down. Then the azimuth cam is the worst thing to have to try to aim. You move it a little to the left or right and it can make the signal go up or crash. It is a very touchy dish to aim and peak. Not like the 1000.2 dish ,where you set elevation and skew , aim and peak on 119 and you are all set. Maybe once they replace the old sat at 61.5 and next year the 77 sat, the 1000.4 sat dish won't be as hard to aim and peak. You know stronger new satellites make a difference. The 72.7 sat is up to the 60s now and before it was replaced last year , it was in the mid 40s to low 50s .

What satellite should I be looking at when aiming? The manual states I should be looking at 72.7 since 77.0 may not be in service yet. Obviously that part of the manual is out of date. I was originally going to look at 61.5 and 77.0 at the same time, my meter has 2 channels, and have both receivers in the "Point Dish" mode but 1 set on 61.5 and the other set on 77.0 and get the best peak between the 2.

I would think with this method 72.7 would fall in just right.

the 1K4 dish is at best hard to peak. I usually use 61.5 with my meter. then check the signal on the TV and fine tune with 61.5 Tp 14 to 66 or above then check 72 to make sure it is as high as I can get it while maintaining 61.5 above 66. The mast MUST BE RIDGED it cannot move use support arms!!! the dish is +- 1/2 degree. 77 will follow If all this is done corectly and there is signal from the satillite.

Do what the manual says and Peak on transponder 19 or 21 on the 72.7 sat. IF you get that sat to come in and you have the skew right on your dish , 77 and 61.5 will come in too.

Mu mast is ridged. It is the mast I used for my C band dish which was about 9' in diameter. The mount for the 1K.4 dish I am using is the mount I used for my Dish 300 dish. The only difference between that mount and the 1 supplied with the 1K.4 is length of the arm where the dish mounts to and the "wall mount" are attached.

Like I stated before, I had about 50 - 60 on 61.5 before moving the mount and dish to receiver 129 on the western arc. I guess I will play around with it a bit more to see if I can tweak it in.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I have found that the elevation for the 1000.4 should be about 4 points higher than listed. Once you have 61.5 and 72.7, adjust your elevation upwards then peak the azimuth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)