Eastern Arc Signal strength?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
So I had EA installed yesterday, here in Northeast Mass. Anyone in the area care to let me know what they get for signal strength? 61.5 and 72.7 seem to be good, although lower than what I remember on my 110/119 setup. I checked 77.
Strongest Tp I could find was a 42. Most are in the mid to high 30s.

The 1K4 dish will not show signal strenghs as the 119/110 dish. If you had a 61.5 wing dish you can make the comparison other wise the 1k4 is it's own animal. This has change since it introduction, so who knows what the signal should be.

The 1K4 dish will not show signal strenghs as the 119/110 dish. If you had a 61.5 wing dish you can make the comparison other wise the 1k4 is it's own animal. This has change since it introduction, so who knows what the signal should be.

I did have a wing 61.5. Signal seems to be better on 61.5 with the EA. Not too concerned. Just curious what others are getting. If rain fade is a big problem, Dish will get another call. Doesn't look like there's much programming I'm getting off 77, so maybe it's a non issue.

When they installed mine yesterday, I asked because it seemed like signal strengths were low compared to 110/119. I was told that this is normal.

The lady had a sheet (that I photocopied ) that showed what transponders they go off of in each of the 3 local counties and what those strengths are supposed to be. None were above 65 or so at the highest. I am getting high 60's and even a few low 70's.

There were approximately 4 transponders measured for each satellite.

When they installed mine yesterday, I asked because it seemed like signal strengths were low compared to 110/119. I was told that this is normal.

The lady had a sheet (that I photocopied ) that showed what transponders they go off of in each of the 3 local counties and what those strengths are supposed to be. None were above 65 or so at the highest. I am getting high 60's and even a few low 70's.

Good to know. I also asked about them being lower than my Dish 500 setup. Was also told "this is normal".

So I had EA installed yesterday, here in Northeast Mass. Anyone in the area care to let me know what they get for signal strength? 61.5 and 72.7 seem to be good, although lower than what I remember on my 110/119 setup. I checked 77.
Strongest Tp I could find was a 42. Most are in the mid to high 30s.
Thanks for the update. I had to push my EA upgrade back a couple weeks due to my availability. How did the install go?? Were they able to use your 61.5 mast or did they have to install a new one??

Thanks for the update. I had to push my EA upgrade back a couple weeks due to my availability. How did the install go?? Were they able to use your 61.5 mast or did they have to install a new one??

He used my 61.5 footing, which is good. Didn't want any new holes in my roof. He did say he could use the existing mast. Wasn't out there when he put the Dish up, but it looks like the same mast. Was a little concerned, but I checked out the 1000.4 install manual and it looks like a standard Dish 500 mast.

When I installed my eastern arc dish in 2008 AGAIN after Hurricane Ike, I had to really work to get good signals on the 77 sat in southeast Texas. But I now have the following strengths:

72.7 - 60-70
77 - 50 -56
61.5 - 45- 70

Thanks for the reminder. I've got a 24-inch at 61.5 now, will note the readings before the 1k4 goes up.

He used my 61.5 footing, which is good. Didn't want any new holes in my roof. He did say he could use the existing mast. Wasn't out there when he put the Dish up, but it looks like the same mast. Was a little concerned, but I checked out the 1000.4 install manual and it looks like a standard Dish 500 mast.

With a 1000.4 dish, struts were required to be used due to the weight of the dish.
Although Dish recently came out with a new mast that is a thicker guage steel that will support the weight of the 1000.4 dish. It looks just like a 500 mast, with the exception that by the bottom holes of the foot plate it is marked "W4" which designates it as a mast to be used for a E.A. Dish. Struts are not needed with this mast.
If the installer used the existing 61.5 mast, chances are without struts that dish is going to begin to sag after awhile. If possible, I would check the mast to see if he changed the mast or not. If he did not, I would make a call to Dish and have them come back out to put struts on the mast.

With a 1000.4 dish, struts were required to be used due to the weight of the dish.
Although Dish recently came out with a new mast that is a thicker guage steel that will support the weight of the 1000.4 dish. It looks just like a 500 mast, with the exception that by the bottom holes of the foot plate it is marked "W4" which designates it as a mast to be used for a E.A. Dish. Struts are not needed with this mast.
If the installer used the existing 61.5 mast, chances are without struts that dish is going to begin to sag after awhile. If possible, I would check the mast to see if he changed the mast or not. If he did not, I would make a call to Dish and have them come back out to put struts on the mast.

Here is my dish setup. The installer put it on a different chimney and left the other two dishes on the other chimney. It is a new mast.
Picture029.jpg

Guy came today to bury the pole and mount the dish...

All of my signals are down by at least 5 points. Some are not even at the minimum listed on the sheet.