This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Eastern ark quality signal Verses Wetern ark

DK_Sat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
MD
I just install a eastern ark dish 61,72,77 the signal quality on eastern ark satellites is lower then the western ark satellites 110,119,129. The quality i am getting on the eastern ark satellites is from 55 to 62, on the western ark satellites i am getting 68 to 72 with the International dish 110, 118, 119, 129

Does the fact that Eastern Arc broadcasts in MPEG 4 supposed to make up for the lower signals versus the higher signals of MPEG 2 Western Arc?

It just means they are different broadcasts. Eastern ARC is broadcast from different satellites with a MPEG 4 encryption. Comparison is apples to oranges just accept them and unless you are having problems enjoy the programming. That I hope is why you bought the system.

Not exactly. It's because all Dish HD signals are modulated using turbo 8PSK, while most of the SD on the Western Arc is still using QPSK. QPSK will show a higher signal quality, but also has fewer error correction bits, than 8PSK. After all is said and done, 8PSK gets more data through, and that is why Dish is going to 8PSK everywhere as soon as they can.

It's ARC as in a shape that is part of circle. Not ARK as in a boat.

Sorry about the misspelling, i was out in the cold and wind for about 4 hours trying to install this eastern arc dish, the problem was the signal quality was in the 50s on 61,72,77 satellites and 70s on the western arc using a International 110,18,119,129 satellite dish.

Looking at the video from both Eastern and Western arc the video quality on the western arc looks to me better using a 211k and Samsung 55 LCD.

Last edited:
You're still comparing apples to oranges The dish 1000+ is still a bigger dish than the 1000.4 the western arc on the whole is newer satellites using MPEG2. Picture quality has no relation to signal strength except that if signal is too low there is no picture.

QPSK will show a higher signal quality,
a good test to show that is on 129
go through transponders 17-32 and they're all in the 50's except 21 which is QPSK (for the few SD channels)...that reads upper 70's low 80's on the meter
(1-16 are spotbeams)

AFAIK, none of the Dish HD satellites use MPEG-2, all are MPEG-4 based on recording sizes.
-Ken

You will never get the same signal levels on EA that you see on WA. WA still has as Ice has said QPSK on it. IOW's SD MPEG 2 channels. Those will always read a large amt higher. I have 70's on EA but I have over size dishes 61.5 has a .9m, 72.7 has .7m only 77 has a dish 500 and it is in the 40's. That is normal with standard size dish on it.

Storms come out of the SW (like every one) here in Kansas, i have service during bad weather about 15 to 25 mins longer than WA costumers.

In this case YES. Things like that really get my goat. You can't float in an arc and you can't track the sky with an ark.
This thread started to go off on an arc tangent.

nyuk nyuk