eBay for recievers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thestaton

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
I have noticed that DTV will charge you an additional 5 dollars a month if you decide to go with standard sd receivers. these go for around 10 dollars on eBay with a card, remote etc.

i've also considered picking up the new HD-DVR on eBay as well. are there any cons to going this route?

I understand that if I choose to take D* receivers then I would have to pay 5 dollars a month in insurance to get them replaced in case one failed.

thanks for the help.

mike

Directv is going to nail you that $5 fee no matter what, if it is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th reciever no matter what. If you own the box they will call it a mirror fee, if you lease it from them they will call it a lease fee. If you buy a box from ebay you need to be aware that you probably are going to need to invest in a new access card, if your lucky you might not have to. These go for a $20. One pro is your going to actually own the box but alot of the boxes on ebay are legacy models and wont allow access to the new interactive features that directv now offers. If you want the best service you might try looking for a directv branded receiver, these are the best choice for the current services offered.

You are much better off leasing the additional receiver from D*. Receivers off Ebay may have an outstanding balance,that you will have to pay off before it can be activated. They also can be leased receivers that were not returned to Directv by a customer who thought he could sell it to make some money at D* expense. If they are new receivers that a dealer is "selling" on Ebay they will be leased by you when you activate them, not owned. Get the RID# of the receiver and call D* to find out the status of that receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.