Ebay Receiver question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
I am thinking about getting DirecTV in the next week or so. If I buy the $99 SD DVR box for the install. Can I later get a HD Tivo off of Ebay or somewhere else and have it work? I know I will need the bigger dish but is that all that would prevent it from working?

You can order a 18x20 dish and a SD DVR with your new subscription to DIRECTV so your system will be HD ready to accommodate your HD DVR addition. SatelliteGuys members get a special discount and free shipping.

Call me if I can be of any help.

-Robert

dnyce said:
I am thinking about getting DirecTV in the next week or so. If I buy the $99 SD DVR box for the install. Can I later get a HD Tivo off of Ebay or somewhere else and have it work? I know I will need the bigger dish but is that all that would prevent it from working?

I've bought several receivers from Ebay and/or Overstock auctions. I've had no problem having D* activate them. You will have to buy an access card from D* ($20) unless the receiver come with a unopened "virgin" card. Many sellers include a previously used card, but those are worthless to you.

.... and unless DirecTV has changed their policy, the $20 is credited back to your account if your activate the new card within the stated time limit. I would get the to verify that up front.

I activated a used Hughes Executive Director, which I purchased off Ebay. Like Charper1 said, it cost me $20, and Directv sent it to me FedEx delivery. I did not receive a credit, however, even though I activated it the same day that it was delivered. I'd definitely ask about a credit upfront, yet I didn't mind paying the fee, as this receiver is MUCH better than the Philips I'd previously used. j c

There are reports they will no longer issue cards for non-RID receivers (aka older DTiVos).

So be careful on buying a non-RID older receiver and expecting to ADD it to your account (apparently you can generally swap cards if it replaces an existing unit).

I read on here some time ago, that it is a good practice to get the seller to give you the receiver ids before payment, so you can call directv to make sure there is no outstanding balance.

had been planning my D* jump from comcast for sometime. bought a ts160 used w/ access card. when the time came to move on my D* setup, i called and asked for install w/ a regular SD unit with the intention to get D* to swap cards after install.

installer came and balked at the install, claiming LOS issues with the trees. didn't even try to get a signal.

so i bought my own dish and installed it and got 90-100% on all 3 birds (which i could test on my unactivated TS160). BUT time was of the essence since i was signing up for NFL:ST and my receiver wouldn't come in time. so the CSR talked to her supervisor and took down my IRD SN# and the card ID and within 3 minutes I had TC Premiere and was watching the SuperFan shortcuts.

It CAN be done w/o getting a new card, but you pretty much have to have a special case or them over the barrel. I had legitimate grips with their service so they rolled over for me.

Just FYI.

colebert said:
It CAN be done w/o getting a new card, but you pretty much have to have a special case or them over the barrel. I had legitimate grips with their service so they rolled over for me. Just FYI.

That statement is somewhat correct, BUT the card that you have must still be a CURRENTLY SUPPORTED series of their access card. If you have one of the older generations of access card (P3 and older), no way, no how will it work even if they said you can keep it. The codes in the signal are no longer compatible with those cards. So a P4/P5 is the only option.

That being said, I too have got them to activate a used, no balance, P4 and P5. One in a added standard IRD and one in my 2nd HD receiver. Both were done over 2 years ago and things do change.

Even so if they pre-bill you for $20 to FedEX a new one, you can get the amount credited back within 14 days (I think it was 14) so why not just get the most current cards?

they just activated my p3 card from 2004 with no problems what so ever. The lady was super nice to me as well and apologized for the guy that told me i had to buy a new card.

What does it face and back look like? These cards are supposed to be no longer compatible with the DirecTV signal stream.

it has directv across the front with grey going across the top and bottom and it's blue with stripes behind the directv word and logo. It's horizontal.

mikedz4 said:
they just activated my p3 card from 2004 with no problems what so ever. The lady was super nice to me as well and apologized for the guy that told me i had to buy a new card.
thats called a p5/d1 not a p3, p3 is old hu football player card

mikedz4 said:
it has directv across the front with grey going across the top and bottom and it's blue with stripes behind the directv word and logo. It's horizontal.

Just as I said; P3 and older access cards for sure will no longer work, nor will they be authorized for any reason. I have read that P4 cards are now being replaced as well, in favor of a new P5.

Post a photo (or give a very detailed description) of the top/face of one of your suspected P3 cards and we will tell you. DirecTV did a mandatory P3 card swapout a long time ago as well as removing the actual codes that allows the P3 cards to decode the signals. A bigger expert can give you some details but I can't see any P3's still operating, at least fully and correctly.

I was told last month they stopped reactivating used receivers

I was going to get DTV, but the CSR told me that they had stopped activating used equipment completely. He said I would have to either do the 2 year promotion or purchase a new DVR with a 1 year commitment. Maybe he was wrong.

Very happy with my E* 721; no DVR fee.

It sounds like csr's just say whatever they want and there is no real policy. I just bought 2 receivers with a dish off ebay and they look like new. There are no cards in the box. I called D*tv and they took info from receivers and said they could send card for 20, I said I would call back. I had another receiver that I gave to a friend because I upgraded to Tivo and they needed one. It was last year and I had no problem deactivating the box on my account and activating it on thiers. No new card was needed. Now I've moved and want to put a tv in my workshop so I got the dish/receivers. only paid 15 bucks with shiping for it all. From the responce I got I assume there is no problem as they were going to sell me a new card and activate. If activated should they refund the 20 bucks? Is geting a card from them the same as new equipment. I no I have a commitment with them for the system, tivo and the move, but I don't want to add more time to it. I know I can get a unopened p-5 card cheaper than 20 bucks, but the real question is how getting a new one from them effects my account. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should ask for from them specificly when ordering to get best option. Thanks

miguelaqui said:
I was going to get DTV, but the CSR told me that they had stopped activating used equipment completely. He said I would have to either do the 2 year promotion or purchase a new DVR with a 1 year commitment. Maybe he was wrong.

Very happy with my E* 721; no DVR fee.

That's not necessarily true in every case.

My Son and Dtr-in-Law just activated a used SD receiver and a used Hughes DVR that I gave them and were able to use the old cards (blue with diagonal stripes if my memory is correct).

The units didn't have any balances due on them and I'm sure that helped.

A lot depends on which CSR you get!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts