Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Is anyone else noticing that ebay is ridiculously slow lately? It takes over four minutes for My Ebay to finish loading and over a minute to display a simple listing, this is on a business class dsl connected to a 45mbps backbone. What gives?

Well after some consultation with my isp it appears that for some reason routing between my IP block and the akamai pop (where ebay's images are served from) is nonfunctional at some point between the isp and akamai.net. Since each ebay page contains a few dozen images, it was taking several minutes for all the requests to time out.

Weird, because any other address from the same isp gets through just fine. I have worked around the issue by adding a static route for the akamai address block to the vpn connection to my office. The isp is still researching the issue.

Pepper said:
Well after some consultation with my isp it appears that for some reason routing between my IP block and the akamai pop (where ebay's images are served from) is nonfunctional at some point between the isp and akamai.net. Since each ebay page contains a few dozen images, it was taking several minutes for all the requests to time out.

Weird, because any other address from the same isp gets through just fine. I have worked around the issue by adding a static route for the akamai address block to the vpn connection to my office. The isp is still researching the issue.
Is your block in a very different supernet from the ISP's? (do you own it?)?

If so, Akamai may need to update their tables.

(does your ISP announce the blocks to Akamai with BGP or a static update?)?

(I'm a former ISP network Engineer, and the ISP I was at had an Akamai cluster in the data center :) )

Oh, and it matters what NAMESERVER(s) you are using. (the ISP's or your own).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts