Ebay

Just trying to understand. I been a paying customer since before the little dishes even came out. I actually have a summer home and a winter home that I pay full price for all year round.

Thanks kg40zx for adding that. I was going to but I was called out to fix a problem here at work.

Since the "water co" messed up the water they can try to get me to pay for their water fixer device. But since I figured how to fix the water myself they can't do a thing about it. I mean this. There is nothing they can do about it. As long as I am not selling the fixed water to somebody else. As long as I don't sell the water fixer to somebody else. There is NO way that the "water co" can tell that I am getting good water. Since they are not being impacted by my usage, they can't claim theft of service, or theft of use. They can't even claim copyright or patent infringment, since I'm not profiting from it.
It might be unethical but it isn't illeagel.

There is NO way that the "water co" can tell that I am getting good water. Since they are not being impacted by my usage, they can't claim theft of service, or theft of use. They can't even claim copyright or patent infringment, since I'm not profiting from it.
It might be unethical but it isn't illeagel.

I'm glad you're not my lawyer.

Interesting analogy:
- mess up with molecules/scramble signal
-> distribute for free for everyone
-> sell unscrambler/"molecule's straightener" for profit for those ppl who want use it.

So, the question to those who like DIY. Are they thieves ? :confused:

Adding to original question - any government treats any signal coming to their property as own and do what they want - you know what on a roof of any embassy in each country, right ?
And how many deciphering equipment running 24/7/365 everywhere ?

Who paid for that ?! YOU !!!

Last edited:
The OP would not be stealing. Possibly the person they sell the receiver to might intend to do that, but it's not the OP doing the stealing.

It becomes a personal judgment call whether anyone thinks it is ethical or not for the OP to provide the requested information. One one hand, the OP has no legal responsibility to protect Dish from potential theft. On the other hand, the OP may not wish to give out the information because they think it is wrong. Everybody can judge whether it's wrong or not for themselves. It's a gray area, subject to interpretation.

If find it hypocritical that Iceberg says the OP would be doing the wrong thing by giving out the info, calling the OP a thief basically (or at minimum, "assisting a thief"), but then goes on to say this:

...I've "moved" numerous times. In the 7 years I had Dish, I don't think my address on file ever matched where I actually lived :)

Iceberg, I think what you did was the wrong thing there. But that's my opinion, and evidently not yours. So I wouldn't chastise you about you did. Although I do wonder what would be the purpose of giving false address information to Dish. Maybe Dish would consider such a thing as "theft", but you wouldn't, so then it's OK. Right?

Minor issues. Gray areas. Subject to individual interpretations. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong. If everybody saw every issue in the same way this planet would be a very boring place to live.

If find it hypocritical that Iceberg says the OP would be doing the wrong thing by giving out the info, calling the OP a thief basically (or at minimum, "assisting a thief"), but then goes on to say this:
never said the OP was a thief so lets not put words in people's mouth's ;)

Iceberg, I think what you did was the wrong thing there. But that's my opinion, and evidently not yours. So I wouldn't chastise you about you did. Although I do wonder what would be the purpose of giving false address information to Dish. Maybe Dish would consider such a thing as "theft", but you wouldn't, so then it's OK. Right?
totally different thing. I PAID for my service. In fact, orignally I had given Dish MORE money (the first time I moved was because my local area didnt have locals on Dish but the neighboring DMA did)

If you use it to steal, then you're not paying anything to Dish

I don't have a dog in this fight, so I really don't care one way or the other, but some folks could certainly say (and do say) that "moving" is in fact stealing from your true local market and its advertisers, as mandated by the almighty FCC.

never said the OP was a thief so lets not put words in people's mouth's ;)
Point taken. I didn't intend to put words in your mouth, but now I see I did. I think you "implied" theft without saying it. So I was wrong for me to say "...calling the OP a thief". I apologize. Poor choice of words. It is of course debatable if my thinking you "implied" theft is even a reasonable thought on my part, but my intent isn't to argue. My mind was trying to present a point, and I freely admit that I might have mis-attributed a thought/concept to you. I'd have to reread this entire thread to see where I felt you implied theft, and I don't have time for that right now (I have to go practice piano now, so I won't bomb at my next lesson like I did this week!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)