Echo II gone?! (CONFIRMED) (Echostar 2)

DISHN3TWORK

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
It appears there were some anomalies with Echo II in the 148 orbital last night. I heard all services had to be moved to Echo I satellite. Anyone hear what happened?

Last edited:
I was aware of the move to the 77W but I heard that they are now unable to control E2 due to some issues last night. Luckily it only affected some smaller markets and only their local channels. The source I heard this from is legit.

I was aware of the move to the 77W but I heard that they are now unable to control E2 due to some issues last night. Luckily it only affected some smaller markets and only their local channels. The source I heard this from is legit.

If it's legit then Echostar will file an 8-K disclosure with the SEC.

True but that might take awhile. They have four days to file for most financial events but the rules are fuzzier fros omething liek this.

Last edited:
Photoman took a look and nothing can be seen from this satellite.

Things are not adding up. This might be legit problem. Stay tuned. Let's see if Scott can verify from his sources.

Well, this will certainly put a crimp in plans if they don't recover control.

If indeed E2 is broken in some way that they cannot recover from, it would mean they would have to run E8 all alone and would just have lower power. E1 would be the last remaining semi spare, but I bet they do not want to move it because of possible 129 use if they had something happen to/delay Ceil-2.

In the past satellites have had failures that knock them out for a while, then they get a backup system online and recover (or as in the case of E5 they come up with a workaround). So, it is too early to declare it dead.

There's been talk, Dish/Echostar are both riding, quite precariously, on the very edge of operations, at present.

Their SAT fleet is, by no means, healthy. If there are anymore failures, eastern arch, 110 (NEW E11 if successful), 119, and those able to see 61.5, will be the only options until contracts, construction, and replacements can be put into place.

At present, it's a dance of musical chairs, in regard to their SAT fleet.

Quite an amazing over-reaction by some!!! If one had reviewed the FCC filing related to using E-2 at 77 W and its downlink signal strength pattern, it is obvious that the plan for E-2 for its use for satellite servcie in Mexico with the possibility of provide HD locals in a few southern U.S. cities. Now if indeed there is a problem with E-2, it could impact what Dish can do with E-8 at 77 W based on the agreements with the Mexican government/companies. In the FCC filing for E-8 at 77 W, it appeared its use would be to provide HD locals not CONUS programming in the Eastern Arc.

So far no one at Dish knows anything about this... however thats to say that their isn't anything wrong, just they they have not heard anything.

Guys,

Rumors are just that...Don't worry until you get confirmation. Even if it is true, I wouldn't worry about it. It hasn't effected your service yet and I don't think it will have much (if any) impact on the future or future plans.

Here guys - lemme burst your bubble... E2 is toast, cause it toasted itself like a 'good' series 7000 does... Unofficial (but a good bet cause) - Power subs catastrophic fail. Ergans PR folks will drop the bomb later on...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)