Echostar 11 Earth Camera?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gdavisloop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Has anyone seen Dishnet's new Earthcam? Apparently there is a cheap camera on Echostar 11 showing 24 hour/day views of the west cost of the Americas.

Does anyone know if this channel is available FTA and if so, the coordinates?
(If scrambled - DON'T TELL ME where it is!)

thanks
--Gary

Channel 212...

Okay, tried some searching, came up with Dish channel 212.
(Gee that's right under NASA at 213, I guess Dish thinks they're the new space agency).
Anyway, didn't find anything on the FTA status, or the possibility that the satellite downlinks the pictures to Englewood in FTA mode and then Dish re-ups them for channel 212. (I can't imagine there would be a conditional-access scrambler aboard the satellite, but I suppose anything is possible!)

Although the picture quality is variable, the pictures are interesting because they show a "whole Earth," like the famous picture taken on the way to the moon. Most Earth-observation satellites (and the ISS/Shuttle) are much closer (for more detail) and can't show a whole Earth. Also, this camera always shows the same part of Earth and with a natural 24 hour day-night cycle.

thanks again
--Gary

There are a few threads dedicated to the poor quality channel, include status of encrypting.
[You will get more attention if you will continue posting in main thread dedicated to the subject.]

why would he? He asked if it was free to air/unencrypted....last I checked this was the FTA area ;)

Dish has it scrambled so unless you have Dish Network you can' t view it FTA

Not available FTA

Thanks, I guess that answers my question.
Suppose it was too much to hope for!
--Gary

Would it be cool

I wish someone would put up a live quality cam in orbit, that would be cool if FTA..

The geostationary weather satellites used to transmit an analog signal (fax, not TV) so a dedicated amateur could receive them, but I think they've all gone digital. Although at least some of the data should be public domain, I don't know if anyone is producing affordable decoding equipment yet. The polar-orbiting weather satellites are still partially analog.

OK, that channel is Dish sub channel, encrypted and do not belong to FTA forum ;).

There are Dish and Bell channels that are free to air. That is why he asked. Nothing wrong with that. He asked in the right area.

Take your "search" somewhere else. We like to help people here and not say "do a search" :)

Here we go again.....:rolleyes:

yep. I guess he doesn't like when people ask questions. As I've said numerous times here, the free to air area is different and in my mind a good different. :)

We actually are a "family" here and welcome newbie questions with open arms. Remember...we were all once newbies. :)

I do kinda wish it was in the clear though...

If thread starter would learn how to use Search, then the thread wouldn't be open at all.

Cut the thread starter a little slack, he is a new guy man! :D

When I started at 9 posts in (like this guy) I never thought of using the search feature, not that new!

We all can't know everything about the site being new. :)

I post sometimes in the wrong place. Tony can tell you that!

Give him some time, he will fit right in!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

For what it's worth, I did try search, on Google and within SatGuys, before starting this thread. I didn't find the answer, sorry.
--Gary

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)