Echostar 12 reception in Europe

dotmarcel

Original poster
May 2, 2010
bcn
Hi there,

I am moving to Europe and would love to take my dish network with me.
I found that one guy was able to connect to Echostar satellite.
http://www.tele-satellite.com/TELE-satellite-0907/eng/tenerifedxer.pdf
When checking out the conus footprint for echostar 12 here:
SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprint Galaxy 3C (G-3C, Galaxy 3C, PAS 9, Galaxy 13) / Spaceway 3 (Spaceway F3, Skyterra-1)
click on 61.5 degrees and you can choose Echostar 12 conus...
I found that I should be able to receive it. The guy from Tenerife had a 1.8m dish. What would I need in Barcelona? I live close to the shore and there a many kilometers just water ahead towards the satellite, little clouds or rain, so I hope it should be possible.

Any thoughts?

dotmarcel

61°W — Echostar 3Ku-band North America BeamDistance to satellite:40185.9kmLocation:40.45°N 0°Elevation angle:13.2°LNB Tilt (skew):-45.7°True azimuth:250.3°
empty.png
Magnetic azimuth:249.6°

Last edited:
Changes at 61.5 are coming.

1) Echostar 15 is scheduled to launch this summer. Since it's a conus-only sat, all conus Echostar 12 transponders will probably go dark. Echostar 15, being brand new, will probably have a tighter beam.

2) More HD channels are supposedly moving off 61.5 to 72.7. Depending upon what channels you're trying to get, and looking at your 13 deg elevation angle, 72 might be a better bet, if you can get that. Of course putting a dish on both would be best.

Use sling with a friend's DISH dual tuner here in the U.S. and you could watch DISH over in Europe just like at home , as long as you have broadband at both setups. Or put your receiver & dish at a friends house and hook up sling to it and change your phone number to his house and you pay the bill , and then you could share the programming via sling.

sling

For sling you need 600kbit upload minimum,right?
Can it stream only or could I download entire recordings?

dotmarcel

Stream, only. If you get a Hava, rather than a Sling, you can record the stream easily. This includes playback of a recording if the input device is a DVR.

Most Hava and Sling devices have no local storage, so you can't download recordings faster than real time since there aren't any. An exception is the Hava Titanium which will record to a local USB drive. But then it can't play that USB recording remotely. :(

Possibly a Tivo will do this. But I know next to nothing about Tivo used as a place-shifting device.

Last edited:
Use sling with a friend's DISH dual tuner here in the U.S. and you could watch DISH over in Europe just like at home , as long as you have broadband at both setups. Or put your receiver & dish at a friends house and hook up sling to it and change your phone number to his house and you pay the bill , and then you could share the programming via sling.

Check the pricing policy at your location in Europe. I think much of Europe still uses metered billing, where you pay more for higher volume of use. I hope, for your sake, this info is outdated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)