Echostar 23 Relocates to 110W

Who holds the license for the 129 slot? Dish or CSG that they lease it from.
The slot itself? I’m pretty sure Dish since E5, although SES and Intelsat have a few Galaxy birds up there so no idea who is licensing who, if at all.

Once the lease is over I’m guessing CSG will either retire the bird or lease it again to another company/slot for the few remaining years it has left.

Who holds the license for the 129 slot? Dish or CSG that they lease it from.
A Canadian satellite company called Ciel . DISH leases on that satellite but I suspect they won't be much longer since there is only some spotbeams and some XM music channels. But they need to find a way to push the locals on the 129 satellite to either 110 or 119 if they want to stop using it entirely.

A Canadian satellite company called Ciel . DISH leases on that satellite but I suspect they won't be much longer since there is only some spotbeams and some XM music channels. But they need to find a way to push the locals on the 129 satellite to either 110 or 119 if they want to stop using it entirely.
I knew Dish leases the satellite from CSG, but I wasn't sure which one had the slot license. If 129 is a Canadian designated slot, then CSG would be the obvious licensee. They could I guess, sub-license the slot to Dish for an Echostar bird to move in.

I knew Dish leases the satellite from CSG, but I wasn't sure which one had the slot license. If 129 is a Canadian designated slot, then CSG would be the obvious licensee. They could I guess, sub-license the slot to Dish for an Echostar bird to move in.
Dish has an FCC "Earth Station" license for transmissions with a foreign satellite - Ceil 2 at 129W as compared to the "Space Station" licenses issued for the US slots.

Oddly, I'm seeing a lot of cities bouncing their locals off of 61.5, even for the Dish Outdoors peeps who technically use WA.

Oddly, I'm seeing a lot of cities bouncing their locals off of 61.5, even for the Dish Outdoors peeps who technically use WA.
Dish Outdoors doesn't restrict us to one arc or the other. I switch arcs regularly depending on which has the best LOS where I'm located at the time.

They've already figured it out and will be done in July.

I looked up the status of the Directv satellite at 110w (Transponders 28,30 and 32) and not only is it not being used for Directv service, it has a large, increasing offset (close to 2 degrees N/S today) which significantly limits its use for other services.

Then I looked up the license which they renewed in Feb 22 and see that while they had asked for a 10 year license, the FCC said no, and issued a 5 year license ending in Feb 27 -

Since Directv went private, it would not be surprising to see their money men do a deal to get some cash out of a dormant asset.

1684003860940.png

That is odd. IF they are moving them to 61.5 that would mean another dish would be needed if you had western arc. My local stations used to be on both 129 sat and 61.5 sat depending on which arc I used.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That is odd. IF they are moving them to 61.5 that would mean another dish would be needed if you had western arc. My local stations used to be on both 129 sat and 61.5 sat depending on which arc I used.
Not really. Many of the portable dishes like the Playmaker and the newer Tailgaters will bring in 110, 119, and 129 or 61.5. They just need to change the settings in the mobile antenna setup screen to hybrid for this.

Not really. Many of the portable dishes like the Playmaker and the newer Tailgaters will bring in 110, 119, and 129 or 61.5. They just need to change the settings in the mobile antenna setup screen to hybrid for this.
Or even better, buy a Winegard Pathway X2 that receives the full eastern arc as well as the western arc. Personally, I use a manually aimed 1000.4 tripod mounted dish with the appropriate LNBF installed for the desired arc. None of the dome style portables like the Playmaker, Pathway, or Tailgaters work with the Dish Hopper series receivers of course, only the Wally and some VIP's.

Or even better, buy a Winegard Pathway X2 that receives the full eastern arc as well as the western arc. Personally, I use a manually aimed 1000.4 tripod mounted dish with the appropriate LNBF installed for the desired arc. None of the dome style portables like the Playmaker, Pathway, or Tailgaters work with the Dish Hopper series receivers of course, only the Wally and some VIP's.
The only downside to the X2 is that if you have 2 receivers hooked up, it'll only get satellite 72.

Also, I hate the manual dish...cause I SUCK at hooking them up!
I can aim a manual Dish almost blindfolded at this point (not joking, you almost have to if you only go by the tone emited by the receiver while on the point Dish screen). But as I understand it you do support via phone for Dish and well… trying to do that over the phone sounds terrifying.

My typical setup and aiming time from start to running the "Test Installation" is 10-15 minutes. If I have to run more than 50 feet of coax or switch LNBF's, add another ~5 minutes.
When I did that, my dish was in the bed of my truck on a non-penetration mount, I parked facing north I was watching TV as fast as an automatic dish! For the Western Arc the Tailgater is worthless takes forever and never gets 129!

When I did that, my dish was in the bed of my truck on a non-penetration mount, I parked facing north I was watching TV as fast as an automatic dish! For the Western Arc the Tailgater is worthless takes forever and never gets 129!
We stay on a lot of campsites where the best or only sat LOS is not close enough to our motorhome to use a roof mount. And a Tailgater won't work with our Hopper anyway. On a good day, I can set our 1000.4 up in about the same time it takes a Trav'ler roof mount to deploy and auto aim.