EchoStar: 6 More HDTV Channels In 2007

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/echo051107.htm

Satcaster surpasses DIRECTV in sub additions for five of last six quarters.

The satcaster releases its first quarter financial statement.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (May 11, 2007) -- EchoStar yesterday reported a 15 percent increase in first quarter revenue, saying it added 310,000 net subscribers.

That's a 38 percent increase in subs over the previous first quarter.

The satcaster credited the growth to the advance of High-Definition TV and the company's partnerships with third-party sellers, such as AT&T.

In an investors call with financial analysts, EchoStar also confirmed again that it plans to launch two satellites at year's end to expand its high-def programming capacity.

EchoStar's Dish Network now carries 32 national high-def channels, more than any other TV provider. However, the nation's second largest satcaster is under pressure from rival DIRECTV to expand HD capacity in the coming months. DIRECTV has said it will offer 100 national HD channels by year's end.

In the investors call, EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen also said the company might add roughly six more high-def channels this year.

The satcaster said it had 13.4 million subscribers at the end of the first quarter, an increase of roughly 9 percent over the end of the first quarter in 2006.

DIRECTV, the nation's largest satellite TV service, reported yesterday that it now has 16.2 million. But DIRECTV said it added only 235,000 subs overall in the first quarter, compared to EchoStar's 310,000.

Thomas Watts, an analyst for Cowen and Co., yesterday said EchoStar has added more net subscribers in five of the last six quarters.

EchoStar yesterday also said its average monthly revenue per subscriber was $64.17 in the first quarter, a 6.6 percent increase.

DIRECTV's average monthly revenue per customer increased 5.2 percent in the first quarter to $73.40.

Both companies credited the rise in revenue to an increase in high-def and Digital Video Recorder subs.

I hope that they wait for 6 good HD channels. I'm glad they haven't wasted the free TPs on WealthHD or MHD. With that whole load of HD channels that are to come into being later this year, I hope dish holds out for the biggies. CNN-HD (expected even if I don't watch their SD), History-HD, Weather Channel-HD, etc...

I would sure like to see Dish ditch the Voom channels if space becomes an issue. I would rather have 15 mainstream HD channels if the space become tight.

Last edited:
Voom is great and I dont think they will ever do away with Voom. Voom has things on their channels that you will not see many other places. In the long run I think we will see improvements on every where.

Voom is great and I dont think they will ever do away with Voom. Voom has things on their channels that you will not see many other places. In the long run I think we will see improvements on every where.

Agreed. I'd hate to lose Rave or Monsters HD just to get CNN HD.

adding six channels in 2007 AMY put us well behind the D* forecasts. of course that assumes that they will be the ONLY six provided by DISH and that D* can deliver enough channels to surpass DISH.

As for VOOM I think that when thsre are more cahnnels VOOM as we know it is toast. there is not enough original programming on VOOM. It is fine now since so little HD is out there. But if TW and Disney have HD channels who will watch Animania? With channels like Chiller are provided and if Sci Fi goes HD i think that the market for Monsters will dry up.

The other channels coming on lime may take years but when it does VOOM will either have to change or die.

Ah, Phillip, so close- yet no cigar.

- - - - -

And, I suspect most new HD will be in 2008 with very little in 2007. These companies starting into HD will no doubt experience delays.

I'd expect if anything happened with Voom they would just take the current channels and put them into 5-7 different channels. I think they would still be marketable at that point.

Let's just not forget, there are many articles out there where Directv has said they will use the standard feed of there '100' hd channels, and stretch it out into hd format (like TNTHD) until the actual hd channel becomes available, with this being said, they could make there whole line up into HD!?!?!? and the directv guru group will think its just the best thing in the world.

Not a directv fan here.

What are the 100 National HD channels Direct will have? I'm completely lost on this because I don't know of 100 National HD channels:confused:

Aaron

What are the 100 National HD channels Direct will have? I'm completely lost on this because I don't know of 100 National HD channels:confused:

Aaron
No, not 100. But the list of networks that say they will launch in HD this year is steadily growing. It might be past 40 by now.

I hope that they wait for 6 good HD channels. I'm glad they haven't wasted the free TPs on WealthHD or MHD. With that whole load of HD channels that are to come into being later this year, I hope dish holds out for the biggies. CNN-HD (expected even if I don't watch their SD), History-HD, Weather Channel-HD, etc...

I would sure like to see Dish ditch the Voom channels is space becomes an issue. I would rather have 15 mainstream HD channels if the space become tight.

I believe there is a long term contract in place for VOOM. 15 years if I recall properly.

Jeezzze! I'm sure that if E* adds the 6 HD channels (bringing their total to 38), there will STILL be folks here spouting "...yeah, but D* promises 100 (non-existant) HD channels soon...). They simply cannot broadcast non-existent stuff...

And while I'm here - keep your hands off-a my Voom! (Actually, you can get rid of a few....). We watch a lot of Rave, Rush, Family HD (just showed 50's version of Guys & Dolls!), Monster, & World....

HD channels do not mean HD programming !

Voom HD channels have far more HD programming than the nationally recognized "cable channel" names. For example, check out A&E HD and Natl Geographic HD. They are mostly upconverted versions of the SD channels.

Voom HD channels have real HD programming. Rave HD is one of the only actual music video channels out there.

While there is significant repetition on the Voom channels, it is because there is not much HD material out there - and this is also true for all the other HD channels.

I have to think that Weather Channel HD will be one of the first true HD channel versions of an SD cable channel, because their programming is mostly live. And, dramatic weather events would make very good use of the wide screen and high quality.

Cold Irons said:
Family HD (just showed 50's version of Guys & Dolls!)
Thanks for this reference - I was just about to rent this on DVD, because my teenage son just got a part in a local production of it - your post made my do a search, and they are showing it again tonight... featuring the most popular singer of all time... I've set a timer.

I think E* is being realistic here. There are probably going to be close to 6 HD channels avaliable. As it is now E* carries most of the national HD channels, more than many sysytems. If they add 6 more they'll have the majority of channels and with the new birds going up they should have no problem adding more as they become avaliable (provided that charlie wants to pay for them). Their stragety seems to be that they want to be the leader in HD and the future is HD.

I still hear/read D* 100 channel promise as a challenge to get more broadcasters to create HD streams. I don't think they expect that more than 10 channels will be avaliable by years end and they figure by making such a crazy statement they look good because if they had provided the channels we could've launched them. When in reality TurdBird doesn't have the capacity to keep up with that w/o overcompressing everything to crap.

For once I am happy Charlie has the Ace up his sleeve; launching two new birds to re-create E* as an All MPEG4 system is a smart move!

I believe there is a long term contract in place for VOOM. 15 years if I recall properly.

If the situation demanded it contracts can always be bought out. Expensive yes... unless the alternative is more profitable and makes the buyout the better choice.

Either that or they could buy out Voom and dump 6 of their channels. Add 6 new ones in their place... and voila... they can say that they added 6 *new* HD channels!

No, not 100. But the list of networks that say they will launch in HD this year is steadily growing. It might be past 40 by now.
I saw someone talley them up one day and actually if you consider off the wall things like RSN's in HD you get up there pretty high.

I saw someone talley them up one day and actually if you consider off the wall things like RSN's in HD you get up there pretty high.
Yeah, but I have a hard time counting any channel that calls itself "Regional" (as in Regional Sports Network) as a national channel.

Well I think when its all said done Dish will probably still have more HD Channels and I think Dish is closer to 100 channels of HD than Direct is. Either way before Direct or Dish can add some of these new HD Channels they both half to wait on the Network to get their HD Channel up and running first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts