Echostar 6 to be moved to 72.7wl

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well they technically have E1 in reserve still if they got really, really desparate. It is not a complete solution since they are using 23 TPs and E1 only does 16. But, they could probably squeeze it out since some markets like Atlanta are on both 129/61.5 and they could drop the duplicates on 129 and get them a 61.5 antenna pronto. They should have a pretty accurate read on when they willl run out of fuel, giving them time to rush EA antennas out to the needed markets.

Q: Is Echostar XI still going to 110 (as what I'm reading are potential actions through your conversations)?

Q: Is it capable of picking up and/or supplementing 129's duties?

Q: Where is the existing 110 going (perhaps 129, for temporary measure)?

Thanks...

Q: Is Echostar XI still going to 110 (as what I'm reading are potential actions through your conversations)?

Q: Is it capable of picking up and/or supplementing 129's duties?

Q: Where is the existing 110 going (perhaps 129, for temporary measure)?

Thanks...

FCom,

Dish has another upcoming launch late this year or early next year. That satellite is going to 129.

Since the next launch is going to 129 it wouldn't make much sense to more Echostar XI to 129. 129 is a leased slot and NOT really a orbital slot for service to the US. At some point after the new satellite is launched to 129 Dish will begin using the new satellite at 129 in Spot Beam mode for alot more HD local into local markets.

The Satellite freed up at 110 is moving to either 72.7 or 77 degrees as both of those two slots will be used for the Eastern Arc service. Once Eastern ARC is up and running almost all new Dish net subs will have one Dish pointed at 61.5, 72.7 and 77 degrees. This Three slot dish will allow Dish to serve Subscribers will all SD Core Channels, all HD Channels and at least 20-40 HD market locals and all the SD local into local market channels for all the Markets east of the Missisippi. The new Eastern Arc service will be using MPEG4 compression, and Turbo 8SPK modulation to maximize usable bandwidth. Using both of those technologies Dish should be able to carry about 30-40 SD Channels per transponder with at least the same PQ as they have now if not slightly better.

John

FCom,

Dish has another upcoming launch late this year or early next year. That satellite is going to 129...

John

John, thank you for the detailed explanation.... I still have to ask, will E11 still go to 110 as announce, and is its capacity capable to help, in part, to relieve some of 129's problems by moving some of the HD content over to it, temporarily?

Reading all of the options presented in this string, as mention, it seems to be a dance of musical chairs.

But if 129 (E5) does indeed fail prior to replacement, is there anything that can be done regarding its national HD content (even if there is partial transfer of some feeds)?

Secondly, are locals mandated as such, some of them may/could possibly be suspended, delayed — temporally in special cases to sustain nationals, or is that just a bad idea, period?

John, thank you for the detailed explanation.... I still have to ask, will E11 still go to 110 as announce, and is its capacity capable to help, in part, to relieve some of 129's problems by moving some of the HD content over to it, temporarily?

Reading all of the options presented in this string, as mention, it seems to be a dance of musical chairs.

But if 129 (E5) does indeed fail prior to replacement, is there anything that can be done regarding its national HD content (even if there is partial transfer of some feeds)?

Secondly, are locals mandated as such, some of them may/could possibly be suspended, delayed — temporally in special cases to sustain nationals, or is that just a bad idea, period?

First let me say it doesn't appear E11 will have a big capacity impact at 110. It has been speculated that due to its extremely high power, the error correction data that is sent could be cut pack, perhaps freeing up some space. But it will not have room to take much is any of the E5 load at 129.

Well to us it seem like they are risking a lot at 129, I think Dish nows its condition better than we do. Thinking about it further, I don't think they would be leaving it alone until Ciel-2 unless they had high confidence that it could last.

Ciel-2 will offer enough space to replace E5 and then some. If I read right, Dish has been guaranteed 16 CONUS transponders (maybe more). You might say "That's only half", but Dish should be able to use any Canadian transponders for the spotbeam payload, which will help out for locals. (In theory, at least. The question I still have is if the sat will have the power for 16 CONUS transponders, 16 Canadian transponders, and a good number of US Spots operating all at the same time.)

It also may seem a little like musical chairs, but the goofy order isn't Dish's fault. The Proton/Bitz issues have really put a crimp into Dish's plans. Ciel-2 was supposed to launch a lot sooner, while AMC-14 was supposed to be E-3's replacement.

Last edited:
First let me say it doesn't appear E11 will have a big capacity impact at 110. It has been speculated that due to its extremely high power, the error correction data that is sent could be cut pack, perhaps freeing up some space. But it will not have room to take much is any of the E5 load at 129.

Well to us it seem like they are risking a lot at 129, I think Dish nows its condition better than we do...

Thank you. Very insightful...

With the Eastern arc planned to cover subscribers east of the Mississippi, what are the plans for the 110/119 satellites?

With the Eastern arc planned to cover subscribers east of the Mississippi, what are the plans for the 110/119 satellites?

Paulus,

Eventually 119,110 and 129 will be Dish's Plan for the Western Arc. In other words 119, 110 and 129 will be for Dish Subs West of the Mississippi for SD Core Channels, SD Local into Local, HD Local into Local and HD National Channels.

John

I doubt that the Mississippi will be a firm dividing line. It will depend to some degree on Line Of Sight. And most of us won't be on any "arc" at least not for some years. So 110/119 can be expected to continue in their current roles for quite some time to come.

Most of TExas will be going eastern arc as well so the Mississippi river won't be the dividing line for eastern arc /western arc. I see Houston , Beaumont, Dallas on the 61.5 sat right now and on 110 as well. Besides I don't think they can convert the entire country to mpeg 4 receivers so they can do a western arc in mpeg 4 yet. They are still selling mpeg 2 sd receivers. They need to stop selling and installing mpeg 2 receivers if they want to ever transition the whole country to mpeg 4 .

Yes. I understand there are costs involved, but long term savings would seem to indicate they should have stopped sending out MPEG-2 receivers quite some time ago.

I just got off the phone with a senior CSR support tech, she says the new push at Dish appears to be all MPG4, but the vast majority of clients at present are MPG2. We're talking about replacing millions of STBs. I just can't imagine how anyone can knock that many STBs out in a reasonable time frame and the capitol expenditures... but she said they are moving in that direction. Letters are going out very soon, she said. Wow...

They can make some money back by selling the old MPEG2 boxes on the European FTA market or by selling them to BEV. DISH is one of the larger distributors of FTA equipment in Europe. It seems 301s are all over the place over there.

I have a few things to add. First E-6 should not be at 72.7 W permanently since Nimiq 5 is suppose to go there and be launched in the second half of 2009. In addition, Nimiq 4 is scheduled to launch later this year and perhaps Telesat will move another satellite to 72.7 W. So E-6 might be available in a few months to at worst perhaps 15 months for service elsewhere. Dish has stated in FCC filings that only 11 TPs will be used on E-6 initially and I would expect that 5 or 6 of them will be used for MPEG-4 SD national channels as part of the MPEG-4 only Eastern Arc service.

The Ciel-2 launch is now being reported as in the fourth quarter of 2008. As I have posted previously, the Ciel-2 power capability limits what it will be able to provide at 129 W. I expect initially it will use only a couple of TPs for HD locals on spotbeams for the larger western cities and the rest for HD national channels. The E-14 spotbeam satellite launch to 119 W in the second half of 2009 will allow Dish to provide HD locals to some of the smaller western markets.

Dish may gain capacity at 110 W with E-11 primarily by lowering the Forward Error Correction on the QPSK (SD) TPs. Dish could gain a couple of TPs from this to use for HD channels. The conversion of the 3 TPs currently providing MPEG-2 HD channels to MPEG-4 will also help with HD capacity at 110 W.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)