EchoStar Chief Says Satellite Deal Will Move Forward

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
gutter said:
Bruce this is not a flame but a question. I read the Charlie Chat and I did not read that he said an deliberate and emphatic no to VOOM programming. What I read was he said that the deal was only for the bird and that his desire was to put HD on that bird once he owns it. (Hard to tell with all the ummm and Huhs in his song and dance."

Sincerly, Can you quote from the Chat that VOOM HD or any original programming he said no too? I will have to admit, I may have missed or misread it a few days ago.

Thanks

Charles Ergen - CEO Dish Network on Charlie Chat

We did enter into an agreement with Cablevision on the "Voom" satellite to aquire that satellite at the 61 and 1/2 degree location. We already have a satellite there ourselves as well. We also aquired capacity there.

We did not aquire the Voom programing assets, they have about 21 channels of of high definition television - we did not aquire that, and they have indicated that they may continue to broadcast at a different location or something.

We certainly hope from a HDTV perspective that we have more HDTV than any cable company or any available satellite. We view it as the wave of the future, there are so many things with the DVR and the UHF remote controls and the two tuners in a box we have been a leader, and we will also be a leader in HDTV.

Stand by to more Charlie Chats, and (we won't get into a lot of details here but) we're going to wait on new satellites that we have in process, we have to wait on MPEG-4 technology which is a technology we are testing today - but the product isn't out until late this fall.

Jim interjects: "And that's how it relates to any real volume of HD programming, is there a chance that we will have anything before the fall?

We may add a few channels before this fall - The industry is still evolving, I saw where Starz! is going to take down their HDTV movie channel "Encore" - I don't believe we put that one up, now they are going to take it down - so we didn't confuse people with that. There are a lot of people who are going to enter the HDTV programming business, a lot of it is going to be late this year - a lot of it next year.

I can only say that if you like HDTV and you are a Dish Network subscriber I think that you are going to like a lot of the things that we do. We put those plans in place to be able to do that. We are just not ready to announce every single thing we are going to do there until we are ready. There will probably be a Charlie Chat several months from now when we do that.

And again, if Charlie was going to add more HD, why Voom instead of Universal-HD or ESPN 2 or even InHD and of course the premium movie channels.

Charles Ergen - CEO Dish Network on Charlie Chat

We did enter into an agreement with Cablevision on the "Voom" satellite to aquire that satellite at the 61 and 1/2 degree location. We already have a satellite there ourselves as well. We also aquired capacity there.

We did not aquire the Voom programing assets, they have about 21 channels of of high definition television - we did not aquire that, and they have indicated that they may continue to broadcast at a different location or something.

We certainly hope from a HDTV perspective that we have more HDTV than any cable company or any available satellite. We view it as the wave of the future, there are so many things with the DVR and the UHF remote controls and the two tuners in a box we have been a leader, and we will also be a leader in HDTV.

Stand by to more Charlie Chats, and (we won't get into a lot of details here but) we're going to wait on new satellites that we have in process, we have to wait on MPEG-4 technology which is a technology we are testing today - but the product isn't out until late this fall.

Jim interjects: "And that's how it relates to any real volume of HD programming, is there a chance that we will have anything before the fall?

We may add a few channels before this fall - The industry is still evolving, I saw where Starz! is going to take down their HDTV movie channel "Encore" - I don't believe we put that one up, now they are going to take it down - so we didn't confuse people with that. There are a lot of people who are going to enter the HDTV programming business, a lot of it is going to be late this year - a lot of it next year.

I can only say that if you like HDTV and you are a Dish Network subscriber I think that you are going to like a lot of the things that we do. We put those plans in place to be able to do that. We are just not ready to announce every single thing we are going to do there until we are ready. There will probably be a Charlie Chat several months from now when we do that.
I wonder who took the time to type all of that? :D Credit would be nice ...

BTW: This thread was about comments Charlie made in the earnings conference call, which was after the Chat. But that quote does support the idea that Charlie doesn't want Voom, just give him the bird! :)

JL

bruce said:
And again, if Charlie was going to add more HD, why Voom instead of Universal-HD or ESPN 2 or even InHD and of course the premium movie channels.

Thanks Bruce...It is what I read. Again there was a lot of dance but he didn't actually come out and say emphatically "NO VOOM Programing." He may have meant it but I have a feeling as a successful business person he chooses his words wisely. At least he didn't come out the way Malone said that he would not invest his own money. Now that is very emphatic and leaves no doubt.

Eyes getting heavy...can't...stay...awake :sleeo Sorry, but if this thread reminds me of a Nascar race...it goes around in circles and, in the end, it's right back where it started. Seems to me everyone has been saying ye same ole thing the past 6 weeks. Wake me when there is some real news. Ok, back to sleep now... :sleeo

gutter said:
He may have meant it but I have a feeling as a successful business person he chooses his words wisely.
:eek:
Those were wisely chosen words? Wow.

Charlie seems down to earth. Wealthy but not elite. As noted in the E* thread where that comment was posted, he probably should have said less about it. That would have been more wise use of words.

But he said what he said, and he said more in the earnings call. He's seems very open to me.

JL

riffjim4069 said:
Wake me when there is some real news. Ok, back to sleep now... :sleeo
Yep. No real news except another reminder that Voom is in trouble and despite the popularity amongst customers, C & T Dolan don't seem to be lining up a lot of support as they approach the next "deadline".

JL

If the satellite sale goes through, that means Chuck Dolan not only has to rescue Voom with truckloads of cash, and expand the HD and SD channels to attract more Voomers, and get out the DVR to attract more Voomers, he also has to pay for the complete replacement of 40,000 dishes for Rainbow 2 within the next 3 or 4 months -- before Voom programming ends on Rainbow 1.

I am really hoping Dolan finds enough billionaires out there like himself who believe that such an enormous :eek: investment will pay off handsomely in the end. It is getting to be a very tall order.

justalurker said:
I wonder who took the time to type all of that? :D Credit would be nice ...

BTW: This thread was about comments Charlie made in the earnings conference call, which was after the Chat. But that quote does support the idea that Charlie doesn't want Voom, just give him the bird! :)

JL

I just can't take you man, you are just a smug *******, with so much ego you must be compensating for wearing tightie whities or something.
In reading a few of your posts responding to Sean Mota over at the E* forums and I am amazed at the dis-respect you had, answering him in your posts, this nah nah attitude that E* makes a profit and V* does not, he could have banned your ass a while ago but he seems to be the better person, maybe as you sit at your computer snarfing down your second box of Little Debbie Nutty Bars, you will think about why so many people here have such a negative feeling about you.

Originally Posted by Sean Mota
Not going to hear from me about it once more. But I will be here in the Fall of 2005 and if there's no light at the end of tunel and E* failed to deliver once more, I will laugh out loud in a corner.

justalurker said:
Feel free to come back and laugh really loud at the end of December. If there are any real new program provider entrants into HD and E* doesn't get caught up and in position to lead your laughter will be especially valid.

Then again, I wonder if E* will make 12 million or 13 million subs by the end of the year.

JL

Originally Posted by Sean Mota
In other words, if you buy and HDTV or you own an HDTV, go somewhere else to get HD (DirecTv, Cable, VOOM or elsewhere) if you want it.

justalurker said:
If you are going to be snotty about it, let me put it this way ...
If you want to subscribe to a service that is time tested and will be available to customers at the end of April the "somewhere else" will be a smaller list. E* will be there in December. Perhaps they will (finally) get their HD going, perhaps not. But at least E* won't be a memory.

That is a prediction. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. :D

JL

mdonnelly said:
You know, Congress doesn't give a hoot about HDTV. What they ARE interested in is DIGITAL TV. They want to recover the analog spectrum and auction it off. They couldn't care less if broadcasters want to put HD on their digital signal or not.

Well I won't argue that fact... They are only interested in re-gaining the spectrum to auction it off, but it would be nice to have some support for general public from the FCC. HDTV content will grow, but IMO it will take a few years for consumer demand for HDTV programming to put a big enough demand on cable and satellite companies to grow their HD content. In the end, consumer demand will be the driving force for HDTV programming. C. Dolan knows that the future is HDTV, and IMHO if he can keep V* alive for 3 or 4 more years, the company will eventually reap the benfits of the market.

If we need to re-aim our dishes to Rainbow-2, then that is Ok with me... I just hope that V* survives!!

justalurker said:
Boo
Whatever is happening in the E* forums is happening there IN CONTEXT.
Let's talk about Voom, and possibly their deal with Echostar - not each other. OK?

JL

No, I am talking about what a **** you are both here and there.
Have you not yet figured out why people are so negative about you, I don't have Voom and I don't believe in its business plan, just ask Sean or vurbano, no, forget that, don't ask vurbano, but even I can see what your really are, someone who seeks attention no matter if it is positive or negative, get a life instead of trying to prove to a bunch of posters how smart you think you are.

phoenix,

hi, i lived in beautiful scottsdale and my brother still lives in chandler, beautiful state and a red one too!!!!

dude, the fcc mandated digital transmission of tv signals

they said NOTHING about hi def, NOTHING

that is why the fcc is saying NOTHING about hdtv

what dont the people that want hdtv get, it will grow as it is supposed to , driven by the market, not forced upon us by the government.

again , digital is NOT hi def and HDTV was NEVER MANDATED by the fcc

dragon

dragon002 said:
phoenix,

hi, i lived in beautiful scottsdale and my brother still lives in chandler, beautiful state and a red one too!!!!

dude, the fcc mandated digital transmission of tv signals

they said NOTHING about hi def, NOTHING

that is why the fcc is saying NOTHING about hdtv

what dont the people that want hdtv get, it will grow as it is supposed to , driven by the market, not forced upon us by the government.

again , digital is NOT hi def and HDTV was NEVER MANDATED by the fcc

dragon

And this has nothing to do what we are talking about, you are thinking of OTA rules, this thread is about E* buying V*'s bird.

bruce,

it is everything you are talking about!!

directv, dish and even voom are under no obligation to broadcast hd AT ALL

the FCC NEVER mandated HD only digital!!

the gov isnt going to stop the sale of vooms sat because there is no reason to stop it! directv has 500,000 hd cx without even trying, charlie has im told 380,000 with trying some, voom has SAY 46,000, SO?

and the fcc doesnt CARE about hd and neither does 95% of the population at this point.

dragon

dragon002 said:
bruce,

it is everything you are talking about!!

directv, dish and even voom are under no obligation to broadcast hd AT ALL

the FCC NEVER mandated HD only digital!!

the gov isnt going to stop the sale of vooms sat because there is no reason to stop it! directv has 500,000 hd cx without even trying, charlie has im told 380,000 with trying some, voom has SAY 46,000, SO?

and the fcc doesnt CARE about hd and neither does 95% of the population at this point.

dragon

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

dragon002 said:
what was the response??

you quoted and that was it???

dragon

Flaming a troll.

bruce,

whatever a troll is!!??

is that someone who happens to think the fcc should not force 95% of us to buy new tvs and home theateres to make 50,000 people happy. i dont hear a lot of rumblings on the directv site considering there are HALF A MILLION of them subscribing to hd , and spaceway one is sitting on sea launch!! but i guess all of us that subscribe to directv are the great un washed, just un informed stupid JOE SIX PACKS.

bruce, go get a life , and quit watching s. park, its rotting what little grey matter you have left

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts