EchoStar Introduces New High-Definition DVR Receiver for the HD Enthusiast

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Eva Greczkowski

The Prize Goddess
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 8, 2004
Connecticut
EchoStar Introduces New High-Definition DVR Receiver for the HD Enthusiast

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan 7, 2008 (PrimeNewswire via COMTEX News Network) -- EchoStar Holding Corporation today announced the launch of a new high definition (HD) DVR receiver to complement its premier line of ViP set-top boxes. The ViP612 is an advanced MPEG-4, dual-tuner, DVR receiver with integrated digital over-the-air tuner, and offers the visual clarity and superior surround sound of HD. The receiver will be available to customers in February.

"EchoStar continues to expand its suite of award-winning high definition receivers to meet and exceed the demands of DISH Network subscribers," said Mark Jackson, president of EchoStar Holding Corporation. "With the recent holiday boom in HDTV sales, the ViP612 is the perfect solution for customers who have purchased an HDTV, and desire the ability to record HD content."

The ViP612 -- which is similar to the award-winning ViP622, but powers one TV -- can record up to 30 hours of high definition content and 200 hours of standard definition content. It also features on-screen caller ID, a nine-day electronic programming guide (EPG), seamless access to both satellite and broadband delivered content, a host of interactive services through DishHOME Interactive TV, parental locks and more. ViP612 customers also have access to the most free national HD channels in the industry with more than 75, plus local channels where available.

The ViP612 is available for lease to new and existing DISH Network customers through DISH Network's popular Digital Home Advantage (DHA) plan. For more information about DHA, DISH Network or the ViP612, call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), visit DISH Network -- Home, or visit your local DISH Network retailer.

What does this bring that the 622 doesn't? Unless it will do HD VOD, but VOD is a crock, and satellite VOD even more so, so the answer appears to be nothing. So why not give everyone a 622? There's no telling when someone might want to add a second TV.

Point is that it saves DISH money. Customers who want an HD DVR but only have one TV to install on. This receiver is, I'm sure of it, probably cheaper than the 622/722. All in the cost savings....Any photos of this one yet? If I recall from earlier photos last year, I think it was black as well, with a 942ish look...

Point is that it saves DISH money. Customers who want an HD DVR but only have one TV to install on. This receiver is, I'm sure of it, probably cheaper than the 622/722. All in the cost savings....Any photos of this one yet? If I recall from earlier photos last year, I think it was black as well, with a 942ish look...

From a CONSUMER pt of view, this is pretty irrelevant. I can see how this benefits E* tho.

I can see more and more where people will have only HDTV's in their homes and no need for the NTSC output. So come out with another STB that doesn't have this feature and save a few dollars in the cost of the box.

I can see more and more where people will have only HDTV's in their homes and no need for the NTSC output. So come out with another STB that doesn't have this feature and save a few dollars in the cost of the box.

I doubt DISH would pass the savings on to the consumer....

I doubt DISH would pass the savings on to the consumer....

Never said they would, D* has done the same thing with the H21/HR21 STB's remove the ATSC tuner(s) but not lower the price. Corporations just love to find ways to take more money from our wallets.

I'm sure it will make sense to some customer out there... would have made sense to me a few years back when I was unmarried, alone in a 1 bedroom apartment, with only one TV... now, I can see a use as I have 3 TV's in the house, with a 211 powering the HD set in the bedroom... if they weren't bringing out the external DVR for the 211, I'd consider upgrading...

Why this receiver? Think about it:

The 622 and 722 have a whole bunch of circuitry for:

1) Down-res of HDTV to SD for output to TV2 RF analog. Not a simple matter
2) Once those signals are in SD, they are output simultaneously in composite RF, Composite line-out and S-Video.
3) There is a lot of code in the software to control use of the device in single mode or dual mode.

So in the end, the 612 is single mode only, and only has ONE set of HDTV outlets. For all we know, it may well be HDMI-only, in which case there would be no need at all for Digital-to-Analog conversion.

This would be greatly simplified and could allow Dish to undercut the 722 by $100 or more, or even allow them to give the 612 away. That would make their cost of entry for HDTV w/DVR much lower than D*.

Who would be interested? I would. I have one 622 driving one HDTV and one SD TV. I have a 508 driving another SD Tv. If I replace that 508-SD TV (under consideration at the moment) with a HDTV a 722 would be way overkill, but a 612 would be a fine choice. It would also be a fine choice for someone with just one TV, though I know damn few of those.

Looks like to me if your going to get a DVR/HD receiver you would just go a head and get the VIP 622/722 as a stand-alone receiver that way when you get your second HD TV you would not have to sign up for another contract with "E"!

the 622/722 only sends SD to a second TV so you would still have to get a 2nd reciever for 2 TV's. the apeal of this reciever to Dish is that it has all of the features of a 622/722 but without the cost of whatever it costs for the tv2 output (though i honestly can't imagine that component to be very expensive). It makes sense for Dish on a user lease basis which i'm sure makes up the majority of the reiceivers out there.

Why are they making this receiver?

This is exactly what I could use instead of my 2 622s. TV2 for me is a total waste. I use each 622 to drive 1 TV in single mode. I use the PnP and swap all the time, especially for multiple sporting events. I also have no desire to ever drive a TV off the RF output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)