EchoStar launching Sling Modem ?

The whole thing is kinda strange and still confusing. As hendrix said, why do you need to replace your cable modem with a Sling/modem box when all you need to do is hook up a Sling box to your existing cable modem?

THANKS Sean! So I guess you'll need a box on each end? I'm hoping you can watch on another TV and not just a computer . It does sound like SlingCatcher.

ME too. THis is the only reason why I would want one. My parents have a tv with no cable to the bedroom where it is. They have a 622 and are using a a/v sender but it doesn't work very well. The sling catcher is what I want so they can use the internet to send it to their tv.

The whole thing is kinda strange and still confusing. As hendrix said, why do you need to replace your cable modem with a Sling/modem box when all you need to do is hook up a Sling box to your existing cable modem?

The only thing I can think of is that the Slingbox would not require the cat5, wireless connections, etc. That is a problem with some folks so maybe with it connected thru a sling modem it will work or maybe work better. Hard to say right now till we get more on it.

The only thing I can think of is that the Slingbox would not require the cat5, wireless connections, etc. That is a problem with some folks so maybe with it connected thru a sling modem it will work or maybe work better. Hard to say right now till we get more on it.

But it's soooo much fun to make wild conjecture, don't you think? :)

I think the plan is for cable companies to offer this to their customers instead of say a motorola or uniden modem. Most of these will be sold by cable companies. Not at retail. ;)

I think the plan is for cable companies to offer this to their customers instead of say a motorola or uniden modem. Most of these will be sold by cable companies. Not at retail. ;)

Again kind of odd since cable companies are already trying to "throttle down" people's internet connections for using too much bandwidth for streaming (BitTorrent).

Fcc: FCC and NY Attorney General 'Bout to Stomp on Comcast for BitTorrent Throttling

Also, aren't cable companies and sat companies arch enemies?

If this works well as a cable modem it has potential but the problem is that no cable company will give you support for it if you call with problems. They will tell you to contact Echostart/Sling and Echostart/Sling will tell you to contact the cable company. I will wait very long before I change my cable modem for this one. No way in hell I will put myself in those type of headaches.

the device is intended to be marketed through cable companies not in retail outlets. I suspect that those MSOs that choose to provide it to their customers will support it.

If you already havea slingboz and a modem or wifi you don't need this. If you call XYZ cable company and ask them to install cable internet they may suggest this evice instead ofa DOCSIS router.

the device is intended to be marketed through cable companies not in retail outlets. I suspect that those MSOs that choose to provide it to their customers will support it.

If you already havea slingboz and a modem or wifi you don't need this. If you call XYZ cable company and ask them to install cable internet they may suggest this evice instead ofa DOCSIS router.

Thanks for the info

If this works well as a cable modem it has potential but the problem is that no cable company will give you support for it if you call with problems. They will tell you to contact Echostart/Sling and Echostart/Sling will tell you to contact the cable company. I will wait very long before I change my cable modem for this one. No way in hell I will put myself in those type of headaches.

I take it you don't have a cable modem that you purchased. The cable companies do not hassle you about owning your own (I do). They just will not warrenty the modem. They still troubleshoot issues to restore service. I own my cable modem because I did not want to rent one. I purchased a moto one at Wal-Mart. My cable company had no problem working with me to have it added to my account and getting me up and running.

Also, aren't cable companies and sat companies arch enemies?

Now we see why Charlie split E* into two companies: Echostar and Dish Network.

Dish Network, obviously, is the satellite TV network, which installs sat dishes, maintains the satellite fleet, and negotiates with TV providers.

But they don't make the STBs they use.

That would be Echostar who does that. And now it's obvious that the plan is for Echostar to be an MSO-agnostic hardware provider. In other words, they will make hardware for cable and satellite providers both inside and outside the United States.

Hence, their acquisition of Slingbox. A cable operator won't give a fig that it's Echostar making these; if they can make money by combining a modem with the Slingbox, it's all good.

How many of you actually have your cable modem and your Dish receiver in the same room?

I would Sean Mota that the cable company's may just give you more trouble then it's worth. Time Warner allows you to install your own modem but you have to take it to them so they can register the MAC address.

I do not see the point of this device. I have a Sling Box now.

How many of you actually have your cable modem and your Dish receiver in the same room?

I would Sean Mota that the cable company's may just give you more trouble then it's worth. Time Warner allows you to install your own modem but you have to take it to them so they can register the MAC address.

Many people do have the cable modem at the TV though. This is meant for cable customers not Dish customers. I can see cable companies selling these, when installing they hook the cable box up to this when they do the install.

It seems this gets more confusing as we talk about !

Here's a "simple" question: do you think those are inputs or outputs on the back of that unit ?

Again the cable comapny would sell this to you. They would have the MAC address. And it ---for the most part----is not for DISH subs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)