EchoStar Loses Distant Network Appeal

Let me explain using the picture below. The Sword of Damocles hangs by a court ordered horsehair over the head of EchoStar. Although Charlie loves his pretty DNS fanboys, the great tyrant, NAB, is making things very uncomfortable. Charlie must appease the great tyrant by meeting all stated terms & conditions (it's all about money & power) or risk the falling of the sword.;)

Attachments

• westall-med.jpg
    westall-med.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
andrews777 said:
I could substitue money too, but that is a different argument. Though I suppose someone should be getting a royalty anytime I sing "Happy Birthday to You...." :)

The idea that information can be owned is ludicrous. Though that is outside the scope of this argument. However, if we had a more rational approach to such things, issues about "distant networks" would never come up.

Brad

There are many factors in copyright law that go into determining whether infringement has occurred. Your singing the occasional birthday wish squarely falls in the fair use category.

Again, it depends what you mean by "information." What do you mean by information? Common facts cannot be protected by copyright. Artistic performances can.

What is a rational approach in your view? Anybody can use anybody else's work anytime for any reason?

I canceled my distant nets, which I use for my RV, when Dish added HD for NY, but refused to let those getting distant nets get the HD NY stations. I do not want SD nets and wil not pay for SD nets, when HD are available.

micklewhite said:
Could you summarize the position?

Perhaps in another thread, but we have been told to keep it in scope, so I will leave it with the link, and this final post on the matter. :)

Brad

When this lawsuit started the nets had a stranglehold on programming which now is often available thru many sources like cell phones and the nets. I think theres a settlement coming and shutoffs wouldnt occur. This would explain the low profile E has taken on the matter.

The nets and locals want watchers, E wants to sell programming.

A master feed of net shows may be coming at possibly a inflated price for anyone who wants them, possibly a day delay basis. that and some news would probably accomodate everyone.

stay tuned:)

Bob Haller said:
A master feed of net shows may be coming at possibly a inflated price for anyone who wants them, possibly a day delay basis. that and some news would probably accomodate everyone.
Ala PBS XD with it's 1 day delay.

I agree that a settlement is in the making, otherwise both sides would not have asked the courts to hold off until September.

Bob Haller said:
When this lawsuit started the nets had a stranglehold on programming which now is often available thru many sources like cell phones and the nets. I think theres a settlement coming and shutoffs wouldnt occur. This would explain the low profile E has taken on the matter.
Not really.

A representative in Congress asked the sides in the matter to negotiate for 45 days.
Bob Haller said:
The nets and locals want watchers, E wants to sell programming.

Understand the parties left in the suit.

You have the FOX network and the affiliate boards of the big four networks. The affiliate boards would like nothing better than to have everyone cut-off.

It would then be up to the networks to create a master feed, a la PBS XD. That would come from a separate negotiation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)