EchoStar-Rainbow

Ray S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Central NJ
It is day 179 of the 180 days it usually takes for the FCC (Docket no. 05-72) to come to a decision on an application. "EchoStar Satellite L.L.C. (assignor) and Rainbow DVS Company LLC (Assignee) Seek Appoval for the Assignment of FCC Licenses and Authhorizions Held by Rainbow DVS company LLC to EchoStar Satellite L.L.C."

What is going on? Does anyone have any more information. This could mean more channels.

I guess it is safe to say that the FCC didn't think much of Dish's request for an expedited approval. It would be a huge shock if the sale and transfer does not get approved but one item that may be in doubt is the licenses for the two temporary TPs 23 and 24. I would also would expect some coordinated programming additions and/or relocations with R-1 at 61.5 W and E-5 at 129 W.

Ray S said:
It is day 179 of the 180 days it usually takes for the FCC (Docket no. 05-72) to come to a decision on an application. "EchoStar Satellite L.L.C. (assignor) and Rainbow DVS Company LLC (Assignee) Seek Appoval for the Assignment of FCC Licenses and Authhorizions Held by Rainbow DVS company LLC to EchoStar Satellite L.L.C."

What is going on? Does anyone have any more information. This could mean more channels.
I was wondering that same question yesterday morning so I called the Satellite Division. I am supposed to receive a return call from a Ms. (XXXXX) this morning between the hours of 9-10am. We shall see...

I accidentally dialed Ms. XXXXX a couple nights ago... a costly mistake, but I learned a few things. ;)

But on topic, though, it's hard to believe that it's been 6 months since the proposed purchase of R-1. :)

Dang tux, I thought you had blocked those 900 numbers. :D

(Do they still have 900 numbers?) :)

Hopefully we hear something today. I have heard some things which Dish is planning on doing the the spectrum (which we have talked about a bit in the pub area) so I do hope it gets approved by the FCC.

If you click on some of their other completed cases, there are several that went on days or weeks beyond the 180 day deadline. Given how much Washington seems to hate E* (given their "creative" two dish solution which infuriated the NAB and all those they have in their pocket, and their refusal to pay off, er contribute to congressional campaigns in a manner the distinguished senators/representatives expect...), and how much the Republican majority love the right leaning Murdoch at D* (who may have helped win them their jobs with the unapologetic cheerleading at FoxNews), anything can happen, although there are no other serious suitors out there that could effectively use the satellite slot as well as E* with dishes already pointed at that position.

TuxCoder said:
I accidentally dialed Ms. XXXXX a couple nights ago... a costly mistake, but I learned a few things. ;)
Too funny! If my wife found out I was on the phone with Ms. XXXXX, it would indeed be a costly mistake. :D Anyway, I received a call a short while ago and was told, "We are well aware of the Timeclock and all I will say as that, as of 10:45am, a decision has not been released." Ms. XXXXX repeated this twice. Anyway, I got the feeling the decision has already been made and that their decision would be posted later today. But what do I know. :p

TuxCoder said:
Too funny! If my wife found out I was on the phone with Ms. XXXXX, it would indeed be a costly mistake. :D Anyway, I received a call a short while ago and was told, "We are well aware of the Timeclock and all I will say as that, as of 10:45am, a decision has not been released." Ms. XXXXX repeated this twice. Anyway, I got the feeling a decision has already been made and that it will be posted later today. But what do I know. :p

BobMurdoch said:
If you click on some of their other completed cases, there are several that went on days or weeks beyond the 180 day deadline. Given how much Washington seems to hate E* (given their "creative" two dish solution which infuriated the NAB and all those they have in their pocket, and their refusal to pay off, er contribute to congressional campaigns in a manner the distinguished senators/representatives expect...), and how much the Republican majority love the right leaning Murdoch at D* (who may have helped win them their jobs with the unapologetic cheerleading at FoxNews), anything can happen, although there are no other serious suitors out there that could effectively use the satellite slot as well as E* with dishes already pointed at that position.

Yes, I was clicking on some of thoses cases before I came back to this thread. Interesting background and insight that you give on this matter, particularly the politics. I had forgotten Murdoch's "right leaning" to put in mildly. If approved this could help lead the way to the local HD you have been awaiting, particularly because of the football season. I noticed that you haven't gone the Cablevision rout for them. I have their Scientific Atlanta 8300 and their basic HD package along with the family pack. I have really been spoiled by watching last years football games in HD. If it wasn't for my wife being home all day and needing all of Dish Networks channels, I would just be interested in Dish Network's HD.

The quality of the analog channels on the Cablevision system here is seriously lacking. (I cringe when I watch things like the Weather Channel at the neighbor's house with the ghosting and softness of the picture)

I'd also miss out on the Superstations, my distant networks (I've got waivers for a bunch), Sirius, Voom, and my PVRs (it would cost me a bundle to swap out my 921, 510, 2 508s, and a lowly 4900 in the basement). I don't know if Cablevisions's PVR is HD capable, whether it is dual tuner, or whether their remotes are RF capable (I love changing Sirius channels from my pool area). I also don't trust their pricing history as they have raised prices early and often.

In 2000 when I switched from Cablevision, they only had about 60 channels. They are much better now and they do have many more movie channels than E*, as well as HD feeds of the networks and FoxSports. It hasn't been enough to sway me yet though........ It was also fun when the blackout hit a few years back and all the neighbors came over to my house to see what was happening (Our town was spared the blackout, but the next town over wasn't which took the cable signal with it... It was a rip watching WNBC try and broadcast on backup power in a dimmed newsroom..... They were joking about whether ANYONE was watching them....)

I have have the everything pack and all of the HD channels that Dish Network offers as well a basic cable with the beginning HD package. I have the 921, 501, 301, 811 and 311. The reception with the Scientific Atlata on the HD is just as good as Dish. It is a PVR but the guide is much better on all of the Dish equipment. I have a lot of duplication with the none HD channels however and it is not very cost effective which is probably why you don't have both.

justalurker said:
The sale was announced on January 20th ... over seven months ago. It took a while for the FCC to start the clock.

JL

Dish had to get all the appropriate applications submitted for the clock to start.

True - The point being that the proposed purchase has been public for more than seven months.

January 20th was the day that Voom as a satellite service provided its first major indicator that they would not be in business much longer, the first day that we could speculate on what E* would do with the satellite and the first day that it mattered just how well designed (or not) Rainbow 1 was. The FCC start date was just another milestone on the rocky rollercoaster road to approval.

JL

BobMurdoch said:
They're busy waiting for Rupert to call them back and tell them what they should do......

It maybe extremely difficult if not impossible for the FCC to legally block the sale but they can delay it like the launch of the Spaceway 2 satellite. If you can't stop the competition you can at least slow it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts