EchoStar to Acquire Sling Media

Echostar to purchase Sling Media

EchoStar Announces Agreement to Acquire Sling Media, Inc.

Combination Will Create Industry-Leading Digital Media Solutions Provider

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and FOSTER CITY, Calif., September 24, 2007 – EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today that it has agreed to acquire Sling Media, Inc., a privately-held digital lifestyle products company. EchoStar, through its DISH Network®, is the third largest pay-TV provider in the United States. The transaction values Sling Media at approximately $380 million and is payable in cash and EchoStar options. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, and is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2007.

Established in 2004, Sling Media has been a leading innovator in the digital lifestyle space through the introduction of the internationally-acclaimed, Emmy award-winning Slingbox™ and SlingPlayer™ software. Sling Media’s product line is distributed in over 5,000 retail stores in 11 countries.

In 2006, Sling Media created the Sling Entertainment Group with the mission of developing entertainment experiences and business models that reach beyond the Slingbox. The group also fosters and manages relationships with content creators and owners. Its first initiative, Clip+Sling™, dramatically changes the way consumers socialize around TV by enabling users to clip and share limited segments of their favorite television programming.

“As an early investor in Sling Media, EchoStar has been pleased with the progress and commitment the company has made establishing Sling Media and the Slingbox as powerful and beloved digital media brands,” said Charlie Ergen, CEO and co-founder of EchoStar. “With today’s increasingly mobile lifestyle, EchoStar’s acquisition of Sling Media will allow us to offer innovative and convenient ways for our customers to enjoy their programming on more displays and locations, including TVs, computers and mobile phones, both inside and outside of the home. This combination paves the way for the development of a host of new innovative products and services for our subscribers, new digital media consumers and strategic partners.”

“We are psyched to make this announcement. We have worked closely with EchoStar for more than two years, and have come to realize that both companies have similar entrepreneurial cultures and mutual dedication and passion for creating empowering experiences that benefit the consumer and the media industry,” said Blake Krikorian, co-founder, chairman and CEO of Sling Media. “By combining strategies, resources and technologies with EchoStar, Sling Media will be able to rapidly expand our open multi-platform product offerings, not only for DISH Network subscribers, but for digital media enthusiasts around the globe.”

# # #

About EchoStar Communications Corporation

EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) has been a leader for more than 26 years in satellite TV equipment sales and support worldwide. The Company’s DISH Network® is the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in the country since 2000 and currently serves more than 13.585 million satellite TV customers. DISH Network® offers a premier line of industry-leading Digital Video Recorders (DVRs) and hundreds of video and audio channels as well as the most national HD and International channels in the U.S., Interactive TV, Latino and sports programming. DISH Network also provides a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America and the DishDVR Advantage Package. EchoStar is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.echostar.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.

About Sling Media, Inc.
Sling Media, Inc. is a leading digital lifestyle company offering consumer services and products that are a natural extension of today’s digital way of life. Sling Media's product family includes the internationally-acclaimed, Emmy award-winning Slingbox™ that allows consumers to watch and control their living room television shows at any time, from any location, using PCs, Macs, PDAs and smartphones. For more information on Sling Media or the Slingbox, visit www.slingmedia.com.

This is good news certainly.. I'd love to see Echostar add Sling software to the 622/722 so you could sling remotely without additional hardware.. :)

You consider this good news?!?!?!

I say "good bye" slingbox!! Now that Dish has it, I would expect them to make it go away. Dish's big push is to make you pay for extra places you view your programming. Unless they start charging a monthly fee for the sling service, they stand to gain nothing by continuing to provide this type of device.

Imagine, you could put a sling on a 'friends' receiver in a completly different DMA from the one you live in. Then you could watch programming you aren't 'entitled' too. Oh NO!! You know very well the FCC won't like that, and Dish will have to put a stop to it. Nobody cared when it was a niche market. But now???

Echostar owns a pretty large stake in Archos and hasn't suddenly killed Archos. Archos allows people to take their content with them, much like the Slingbox. It's likely the big picture is to be able to have your Dish content 'anywhere'.

Echostar has to respond to shareholders. Acquiring a company for 380 million (part of it in stock) to tank it, would definitely create an awful lot of scrutiny.

Also - I think you have Dish Network confused with Tivo.. On an online blog, someone suggested Tivo should've acquired Sling. That'd be great, Tivo could inject their own ads and charge a monthly fee for using a Slingbox.

I don't view this as an 'Echostar will kill Sling', but furthermore my Slingbox is bought and paid for. If I don't want a new firmware on it, I don't have to install one, it'll still do what it always has, Echostar be damned. You could do exactly as you describe to get around DMA restriction (as well as probably get around the 'receivers must be in the same domicile' issue) as it sits now. If you want to do that, go buy a Slingbox now, today even.

Echostar knows they have a sizable install base that won't go away. Many of those customers use the Slingbox with Dish Network (such as myself).

Also - I'm sure that Sling had many questions about how this would enrich their product (or if it would) before signing on the dotted line. No-one wants to see their product be destroyed, I don't believe that Sling's financial future was in jeopardy without Echostar.

Why would E* dish out $380 million and then just kill the product? What kind of ROI is that?

They see there is a market for this type of product and using their (E*) already established name, probably reach more of that market.

But what I really think they want is to somehow combine their receivers and the slingbox so we could see our content anywhere.

I can see them building in the Sling capabilities in a future DVR / Receiver. Also wouldn't surprise me if they charged for it monthly as well.

I had greater faith in the original company innovating, I think that will get lost now.

I find this interesting on a number of points...

1) Sling is the provider of the NFL Sunday Ticket Online for DirecTV.

2) In the past I talked to Charlie about Sling and asked him why he didn't build the Sling Technology into their receivers and charge a small monthly fee to access the Slingbox feature in the receiver. He looked at me and said it was an interesting concept.

3) What does thi mean for the upcoming Slingcatcher?

I am not sure if this is good news or bad news for Sling. Lets hope they consider running Sling as a seperate company.

Now Dish just needs to buy TIVO.

Seems like a waste of money to me. The Sling Box is a great idea, but how many people actually use it? If I am away on business or vacation, why would I want to watch Green Acres in my room on a tiny computer screen, when I could be at a sports bar watching WWE on a jumbo widescreen!? :D

I have 3 Slingboxes and I love them. :)

Anywhere I am at I can watch and control the following:
My Dish Network 622 Receiver
My DirecTV HR-20 Receiver
My Fortec Mercury II Reeiver
My ITVN Box
My Home Cable TV
My Office Cable TV

I can watch on a laptop, but most of the time when news breaks I am quickly tuned in on my cell phone, no matter where I am I am connected and in control of my system at home.

In addition when you have young kids like me, the SLingbox and a cell phone is a godsend (especially when you are out at a resturant) Just take out your phone, connect to your Slingbox and your screaming kid is now watching Noggin. :)

I am sorry but I don't see a practical reason for this item for me and mine at all. We don't travel and at work - the state prison, we are not allowed to carry any electronics , cell phones at all, so why would I ever need this?

I see another monthly fee coming with this. I can't see Charlie just being happy with selling the hardware when he can get recurring fees. Especially when Slingcatcher comes out and you can hook it directly to a TV.

Seems like a waste of money to me. The Sling Box is a great idea, but how many people actually use it? If I am away on business or vacation, why would I want to watch Green Acres in my room on a tiny computer screen, when I could be at a sports bar watching WWE on a jumbo widescreen!? :D
Seems like a good idea. Now they will redisgn it so it will not function with Dish equipment without paying a fee. LOL

I don't view this as an 'Echostar will kill Sling', but furthermore my Slingbox is bought and paid for. If I don't want a new firmware on it, I don't have to install one, it'll still do what it always has, Echostar be damned. r.

I agree, but since you need the sling finder id to use your slingbox, echostar can easily diable you box to a pay use whether you upgrade your firmware or not.:mad:
Dish charged $40 to "enable" the USB HD option, what makes you think they are not going to charge something for sling?
I imagine they will wait until they can quote integrate it with DISH somehow, and then charge use for the "new" capabilities.
I knew sling was too good to be true.:cool:
Now, if I can get an iPhone slingplayer, then sign me up!:up

I agree, but since you need the sling finder id to use your slingbox, echostar can easily diable you box to a pay use whether you upgrade your firmware or not.:mad:

I only recently became a user of a Slingbox Classic. The sling finder service is just a dynamic DNS setup that sling provides for free. I have 2 other computers at home that run no-ip software 24/7. So instead of using the free service from Sling I can just input my DNS entry that is updated within 5 min of my IP address changing.

Any idear if this is a way to get around distants? Want to get your New York locals? Live in Binghamton where DISH doesn't provide? Just hook up a sling at your friends house in NYC DMA.

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts