Echostar to buy Satmex

My outrage began with the new receiver fees leaked around end of last year.

Previous to that I was mostly a lurker, with exception of some tech problems, and VERY useful info on OTHER SUBJECTS, people here know a LOT about a wide variety of subjects:)

If it werent for the receiver fee increase I wouldnt be complaining.

Bob what about last year.. and the year before that... and the... well you get the idea...

I don't care if you cancel DISH or not, it makes no difference to me. But stop saying you are going to do it without ever doing it.

if you want to keep DISH then fine thats your choice but stop saying your going to cancel.

you mean all those years I griped about price increases?

I do admit occasional frustration with software bugs.

But my perception of ME, was not one complaining of prices. Of I did I invite anyone to find the links:)

I did complaion loudly about my FIOS hell but was under contract and couldnt cancel:( maybe thats what everyone remembers?

Fios contract ended, and I am making big changes on FIOS in june, during a quiet time for my business. When school ends I get NO CALLS AT ALL for a couple weeks. So dropping lines wouldnt be noticed by my customers!

I dont want them getting ANY that number is no longer in service messages. I think verizon does that intentially to discourage changes.....

Scott what did you do about your increase? With what 6 DVRs?

Most of my Texas friends who winter in Mexico bring their E* receivers with them . They use larger dishes to bring in their channels. With the recent changes in Satellites at 119/110 many have/will lose their channels unless they get even larger dishes. I hope E* realizes that there is a market in Mexico for English based packages similar to their E* international packages they have in the USA. With their pending purchase of SATMEX, they should negotiate in the capability to offer such English based packages in Mexico.

Most of my Texas friends who winter in Mexico bring their E* receivers with them . They use larger dishes to bring in their channels. With the recent changes in Satellites at 119/110 many have/will lose their channels unless they get even larger dishes. I hope E* realizes that there is a market in Mexico for English based packages similar to their E* international packages they have in the USA. With their pending purchase of SATMEX, they should negotiate in the capability to offer such English based packages in Mexico.

They have only been in business a year and have a multiweek backlog for installations for their initial package. Little red dish about 18 inches in diameter using 8 transponders at 77W. I'd speculate you will see English language programming added as they launch the new 17 Ghz satellites in the next few years.

Dish Mexico

They have only been in business a year and have a multiweek backlog for installations for their initial package. Little red dish about 18 inches in diameter using 8 transponders at 77W. I'd speculate you will see English language programming added as they launch the new 17 Ghz satellites in the next few years.

Dish Mexico
I sure hope you're right, but in comparison to their competition, you know SKy Mexico and the local cable companies like Megacable and Telecable, they offer very little; perhaps 1/3rd the number of channels. Their basic package offers, what, 36 channels. And how many channels do they offer all-together? 3 or 400? NO. 100? No, only 66, a small fraction of that offered by the competition in not only the US but Mexico.

Don't believe me? Check out DISH Network Mexico on EchoStar 4 at 77.0°W - LyngSat

I sure hope you're right, but in comparison to their competition, you know SKy Mexico and the local cable companies like Megacable and Telecable, they offer very little; perhaps 1/3rd the number of channels. Their basic package offers, what, 36 channels. And how many channels do they offer all-together? 3 or 400? NO. 100? No, only 66, a small fraction of that offered by the competition in not only the US but Mexico.

Don't believe me? Check out DISH Network Mexico on EchoStar 4 at 77.0°W - LyngSat

Their Mexican capacity will be able to be number 1 within 5 years for the Mexican Market if they want to do it. Three of the new 17 ghz BSS satellites will each have 8 transponders dedicated to Mexico and the other two will each have 32 transponders coverage of both the US and Mexico. A total of 96 high capacity DBS/BSS transponders (including the 8 existing tranponders). And this does not include the SatMex FSS satellites nor the leased capacity they control on the Intelsat satellites

There seems to be a new story out on satnews reconfirming the potential purchase. At least it has a few more details not shown in post #1.

Once again, the adquisition was cancelled.

Article in spanish and google translation:

----------------------------------------------------

Se cebó venta de Satmex
Marco A. Mares

La noticia es que ahora sí se cayó la venta de Satmex a EchoStar. La oferta por cerca de 370 millones de dólares, se frustró por mezquindades de los participantes.

La operación no se concretó por la ínfima e irrisoria cantidad -respecto del tamaño de la oferta total- de 3 millones de dólares de diferencia entre las posiciones.

Ahora, el gobierno mexicano, a través de la Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes (SCT), que encabeza Juan Molinar Horcasitas, le dará un plazo razonable a Satmex para que presente un plan viable.

De no hacerlo, la SCT optará por una de tres alternativas: 1. La requisa; 2. La recuperación de activos, y 3. La extinción de la concesión.

La requisa sería tal vez la más difícil de ejecutar.

Satmex y sus accionistas podrían demandar al gobierno mexicano, y lo colocaría en una situación de marcada exposición.

La recuperación de activos, podría ser por causas de utilidad pública y seguridad nacional. Y la más violenta para los intereses de la empresa, sería la extinción de la concesión.

Dicen los que observaron de cerca el frustrado proceso de compra-venta que fue prácticamente una comedia de mezquindades.

Hubo mezquindad por parte de la compradora EchoStar, pero también hubo mezquindad por los tenedores de bonos y mezquindad en los accionistas de Satmex.

Los rumores en los corrillos oficiales es que el presupuesto para la compra-venta preveía alrededor de 30 millones de dólares para el pago de abogados, asesores financieros y administración.

El directorio de Satmex -dicen los críticos- exigía entre 3 y 6 millones de dólares. O sea que prácticamente fue un duelo de mezquindades lo que derribó la operación de compra-venta.

El anuncio oficial se hará en breve.

Satmex sale was baited
Marco A. Seas

The news is that now fell Satmex selling to EchoStar. The offer for about $ 370 million, was frustrated by pettiness of the participants.

The operation did not materialize in the tiny and insignificant amount-about the size of the total supply of 3 million-dollar difference between the positions.

Now, the Mexican government, through the Ministry of Communications and Transport (SCT), which leads Juan Molinar Horcasitas, given a reasonable time Satmex to present a viable plan.

Otherwise, the SCT will choose one of three options: 1. The requisition, 2. Asset recovery, and 3. The termination of the concession.

The requisition would be perhaps the most difficult to execute.

Satmex and its shareholders could sue the Mexican government, and would place him in a situation marked exposure.

The recovery of assets, could be for reasons of public interest and national security. And the most violent to the interests of the company, the extinction of the concession.

They say those who closely observed the attempted purchase and sale process that was almost a comedy of pettiness.

There pettiness by the buyer EchoStar, but there was also pettiness by bondholders and shareholders meanness in Satmex.

Rumors in the official cliques is that the budget for the purchase and sale provided about $ 30 million to pay lawyers, financial advisors and management.

Satmex directory, say the critics, required between 3 and 6 million dollars. So it was almost a duel of pettiness that toppled the purchase and sale.

The official announcement will be made shortly.

----------------------------------------------------

No guys, no old news, it happened again.

Deal off again

And now the mystery ... AKA the SatMex/EchoStar Who-Done-It: The Mexican press says the deal – wherein EchoStar would buy SatMex – is off again (after being on-again, for a brief period, in May.) EchoStar sources say the deal officially ended on March 16, and they haven't commented on any speculation since. Mexico's E! Economista is miffed blaming the latest stopage (if, indeed, there every was a 'startage') on "participants' stinginess." So ... Will EchoStar ever buy SatMex with its three satellites (one in dire shape) and one under order with Space Systems/Loral? Only the shadow knows .... •
From SkyReport.