echostar TR-50 finalist- best of CES at CNet

This pretty much sums it all up...

"But if it's affordable--and lacks TiVo's monthly fee--the TR-50 may be the perfect fit for TV viewers without satellite or cable who still want to enjoy HD programming on their own schedule."

Echostar is the developer of the TR50. Notice that it has the exact menus, guide scroll, etc. It also has name based recording and the ability to record two ota channels at the same time. It also has the external hard drive support right out of the box. THis is all echostar technology. Slingblade is a recent purchase and hasn't had time to effect the software yet. Although there will be sling blade branded versions in the summer.

Last edited:
So no DVR fee for FTA folks, but we get stuck with one if we have Dish programming? Not sure I get that, especially if the FTA DVR has the same functionality of the 622, i.e., 30 second skip, timers set from guide, etc.

I would imagine that this is a strike at the heart of TIVO. It only has an OTA input. I know the USB & ethernet connections are for IPTV related stuff. I'm sure Charlie has factored in a way for it to be fair to all DVR subs, even at the expense of dropping the fee for subs.

So no DVR fee for FTA folks, but we get stuck with one if we have Dish programming? Not sure I get that, especially if the FTA DVR has the same functionality of the 622, i.e., 30 second skip, timers set from guide, etc.

That is a good point!

This pretty much sums it all up...

"But if it's affordable--and lacks TiVo's monthly fee--the TR-50 may be the perfect fit for TV viewers without satellite or cable who still want to enjoy HD programming on their own schedule."

Charlie said it would be aggressively priced.

Rocky I have seen pictures in detail of the Tr 50 on the Dbstalk website of both front and back of the unit. It has hdmi, component , rca jacks and coax. IT also has usb and ethernet connections. THis is for vod from DISH. THis is a 622/722 box without satellite. Everything else is just like my 722 , the menus, the guides , hell it even has DISH in the corner of the menus. IT has external hard drive support right out of the box. THIs is a must have for anyone who want the best dvr you can have for ota without the FEES.

I wonder who their target audience for this box is? Is there anyone in the US that has broadband but receives TV OTA only? I suppose there may be someone, but would they be interested in the current overpriced offerings from Dish online? Those one or two people probably also know what Bittorrent is.

IF any one wants to see it in action you need to go to the CNET website and they have a video and it clearly shows hdmi , component, rca jacks, coax , usb, and ethernet ports. THis is a cool receiver for ota needs with the potential for video on demand from Echostar through the ethernet ports.

IF any one wants to see it in action you need to go to the CNET website and they have a video and it clearly shows hdmi , component, rca jacks, coax , usb, and ethernet ports. THis is a cool receiver for ota needs with the potential for video on demand from Echostar through the ethernet ports.
Funny, Scott, rockymtnhigh and others at CES report that it doesn't have HDMI outputs.

See here.

IF you will check out the cnet website for the ces 2008 show the article clearly says that the tr 50" if it is affordable and lacks the monthly dvr fee like Tivo - the tr50 may be a perfect fit for tv viewers who are without satellite and cable who still want to enjoy HD programming on their own schedule." So the big word is IF. So will see on the dvr fee.

This article was posted to the Cnet website on January 7th 2008 at 11:00 am pacific time by John P. Falcone.

Last edited:
Funny, Scott, rockymtnhigh and others at CES report that it doesn't have HDMI or component outputs.

See here.

I watched the video again from the CNET website and it clearly shows the entire back of the machine several times and you can pause and look for your self. I can't produce the exact website page but you can search for it on the home page . Do a GOOGLE search for ces.cnet.com and it will take you to the home page and from their you can select winners of the ces show and you can then watch the video your self. Or you can hit the link listed in the first post on this thread and then select the TR50 dvr and from there read for yourself about it and watch the video.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)