EchoStar: We Have 48 National HD Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
OMG here we go again with numbers being thrown around and what channels you count as HD which ones you don't. Heck when its all said and done most all of the TV Service Providers will carry about the same.

EchoStar: We Have 48 National HD Channels

The satcaster adds one channel, but increases its count by nine.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 8, 2007) -- EchoStar's Dish Network last Friday added TBS HD to its high-def lineup.
And today, it issued a press release saying the addition now gives it 48 national High-Definition channels.

That's an impressive number of channels, more than any other TV provider. But what's even more impressive is that EchoStar said it had 39 national HD channels prior to the launch of TBS HD.

That's right. EchoStar jumped from 39 to 48 with a single new channel.

How did the satcaster perform this mathematical miracle?

Starting today, EchoStar is counting its eight HD PPV movie channels as national channels. So with the addition of TBS HD -- and the eight HD PPV channels -- the company says it has 48 national HD channels.

The switch in accounting methods is likely driven by the fact that rival satcaster DIRECTV now offers 37 national HD channels, but is expected to pass the 40 mark in the next week.

But now that EchoStar says it has 48 national HD channels, it will be able to continue to boast that it has more national high-def channels than anyone else until DIRECTV passes that mark.

(DIRECTV has only one channel devoted to HD PPV; so by EchoStar's accounting standard, DIRECTV now could only claim 38 national HD channels.)

That is, unless DIRECTV changes what it calls a "national HD channel."

That is how advertising hype goes.

This Swanni guy does not do any homework and writes stuff with so many mistakes on almost every subject he writes about. The dateline says from Washington, Dish Network statements come out of Littleton, CO. There are no direct quotes, no source given and no statement of the company which is ALWAYS included at the end of the release. Very shotty work for any real journalist.

This Swanni guy does not do any homework and writes stuff with so many mistakes on almost every subject he writes about. The dateline says from Washington, Dish Network statements come out of Littleton, CO. There are no direct quotes, no source given and no statement of the company which is ALWAYS included at the end of the release. Very shotty work for any real journalist.

Well of course you will not see any comments from either provider because they will question thier marketing as far what would be considered a "national HD channel" and what is not. It's the continuing marketing war between the two companies, plain and simple. I doubt and offical from either side will stick out his/her neck unless it is some kind of "official announcement" like the adding of a bunch of channels....then someone will come out and state that they are winning the 'my daddy can beat-up your daddy' contest....LOL

Apparently Dish Network continues to assess the viewing public's intelligence on a par with that of their executive marketing staff.

Who else would be so stupid as to set themselves up for such and easy competitive retort:

"Direct TV now has "X" HD channels and we DON'T count HD PPV".

I mean really.....who OKs this stuff? You'd think Charlie was still peddling dishes out of his station wagon.

Hey Dish, I could freakin' care less about the HD PPV channels (more money in your pocket right?). I pay a large chunk each month as do many other people. Do us a favor and make us proud and be a real leader in HD.

Who the hell is Dish trying to fool??? When they make a statement like this about counting hdppv. Its almost getting to a point when someone ask who your tv provider is you want to cover your mouth or cough when you say it so that person will not understand what you said. Dish. Please stop embarrasing yourself and us!!!!

actually swanni is right!!!

EchoStar Communications Corporation - DISH Network Launches TBS in HD

The leader in high definition, DISH Network offers more than 70 HD channels including 48 national HD channels -- the most in the industry -- as well as HD local channels available in more than 50 percent of U.S. households, 22 Regional Sports Networks in HD and eight HD Pay-Per-View channels. DishHD is available free for six months to new customers, and new DISH Network subscribers may also receive a free upgrade to the company's industry-leading and award-winning HD DVR receivers. Through Jan. 31, 2008, both current and new qualifying DISH Network DishHD customers may also enjoy up to $800 of instant savings on a variety of Sharp's most popular line of flat panel HDTVs.

40 + 8 HD PPV + 22 HD Regional sports =70

I was just about to point at that same article Juan (different site than yours, but same press release).

Are the PPV available nationally at anytime?

Then technically they are "National" channels, even if you have to pay for them.

I think D* is doing similar things with their #'s, upconverting channels to call them HD, etc.

Its all marketing. At least the one claiming 70 channels gives a nice, clear breakdown.

Just more marketing baloney.......are the NHL HD channels counted ??.....nope. Then why the PPV HD channels ?

I suppose E* could also claim more NHL Center Ice channels than D* because E* shows both the home and away feeds. ;)

Let both satellite providers race for more HD channels because then its a win win situation for the subscribers.

Are the PPV available nationally at anytime?

Then technically they are "National" channels, even if you have to pay for them.

I think D* is doing similar things with their #'s, upconverting channels to call them HD, etc.

Its all marketing. At least the one claiming 70 channels gives a nice, clear breakdown.
What the two companies are doing TODAY are not even remotely the same when it comes to counting channels. Sure there is some upconvert on those channels, but most primetime is in HD. PPV is a totally different thing. They would never think of counting them if D* had not added alot lately

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)