EchoStar: We Have 48 National HD Channels

No - they don't have 70 national channels...................YET. I'm thinking that commercial aired a week too early. Oh well.

But I will tell you this, and I know for a fact. You will be seeing LOTS of DirecTV HD commercials in the upcoming months. This is the PEAK television buying season - now thru Super Bowl. They are going to be ALL OVER IT.

I amend my prior post to A DAY TOO EARLY!

As seen in todays Wall Street Journal - they are BLITZING (as seen in NFL-ST SF). And I assure you all again - this is just the BEGINNING. They are not going to back down, they are in ATTACK MODE.

Stay Tuned!

"They are not going to back down, they are in ATTACK MODE."

and it looks like they're going for the kill. I just hope E* can get their act together and do something about it but like I said in another thread, all we hear is silence from E*.

Can you please provide a list of what channels you think D* is upconvering channels on their own just so they can call them HD? Folks, including Scott, have been saying this but when asked for something to backup statements like this all you get is silence.

Speed is upconverted. They just announced that they were going to go HD Feb 7, 2008. I'm sure this is not the only one.

SPEEDtv.com - The Online Motorsports Authority | Nextel Cup | SPEED Goes High Definition | by Erik Arneson | Automotive Industry headlines, governmental issues, policy, investment, mergers, Detroit, and more. | GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, BMW,

All this arguing back and forth about who has more is pure BS. Today it's one, tomorrow it will be the other, until eventually all channels will be mpeg4 on both and none of this will matter. At that point it will then be all down to price, which, I think will be to E* favor, eventually. D* has to subsidize the premium sports packages by letting everyone else foot the bill. You can thank that dumbass Rupert Murdoch for getting D* in the shape it is in, now that he is gone, they seem to be fairing better.

Can you please provide a list of what channels you think D* is upconvering channels on their own just so they can call them HD? Folks, including Scott, have been saying this but when asked for something to backup statements like this all you get is silence.

Well since you asked I just going to complete Cyber's Answer;)
SPEED will make its move to High Definition in 2008, beginning Feb. 7 with 100 hours of NASCAR on SPEED HD from Daytona Speedweeks.

“With the Gatorade Duel 150’s on SPEED, the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race, NASCAR RaceDay and all of the other programming SPEED will deliver surrounding the 50th Anniversary of the Daytona 500, this is one of our most visible times of the year for the network and the perfect time to launch our move to HD,” said SPEED President Hunter Nickell. “SPEED already offers some of the most action-filled programming on television and the move to HD in 2008 enhances all of it exponentially.”

Topping the 70-million U.S. household mark and coming off four consecutive years of ratings growth in 2007, the move to High Definition is the next step in the evolution of a network that has added more than 30 million homes since being fully acquired byFox Cable Networks in 2001.

“SPEED is now one of the most important and popular of all the national cable sports networks, so it’s somewhat inevitable that we provide our many partners and their customers with this HD companion,” said Michael Biard, Senior Vice President of Affiliate Sales and Marketing for Fox Cable Networks.

In addition to its season-long, at-track coverage of NASCAR, with programs including NASCAR RaceDay, Trackside, NASCAR Victory Lane, Tradin’ Paint, NASCAR Live!, NASCAR Performance and Go or Go Home, SPEED also will explore opportunities to bring other racing series and special events to viewers in HD in 2008.

“Over the course of the 2008 season, SPEED will be transitioning all of its event programming to HD,” said Rick Miner, SPEED Senior VP of Production and Network Operations, who is shepherding the project. “We already are in discussions to design and commission the development of remote HD production facilities that will be in full use in 2008.”

In addition to its HD programming surrounding the 50th Anniversary of The Great American Race from Daytona, SPEED also will be ready to launch new seasons of its popular automotive and motorcycle lifestyle programming in HD, including PINKS, PINKS All Out and Super Bikes!

In a move that began earlier this summer, SPEED programming is now commissioned in true 16:9 HD.

In addition to the bold moves on the television side, SPEED’s interactive division will raise the bar as well, with a re-launch of a completely re-tooled SPEEDtv.com slated for early February. The new site will feature dramatic across the board improvements in depth and timeliness of motor sports news and information, delivered through a new wide-screen format that is optimized for easy navigation, interactivity with mobile and other applications, social networking and customization. Registered SPEED Insiders (SPEEDtv.com - The Online Motorsports Authority | Insider | Welcome to the most active motorsports message board forum on the web!) will get a sneak peek at the new SPEEDtv.com in early in January.

SPEED is the nation's first and foremost cable television network dedicated to motor sports and the passion for everything automotive. From racing to restoration, motorcycles to movies, SPEED delivers quality programming from the track to the garage. Now available in more than 77 million homes in North America, SPEED is among the fastest-growing sports cable networks in the country, the home to NASCAR on SPEED and an industry leader in interactive TV, video on demand, mobile initiatives and broadband services.
I hope you read the article,and you don't keep "silent".;)

Rupert is not gone YET. This is all happening ON HIS WATCH. So, I agree, Thank you Rupert.

So,apparently you agree, D* is a "turd bird"? I doubt he has anything to do with D* recent turnaround, if it indeed is turned. He certainly had a lot to do with the merger from happening, the FCC hates Murdoch. The cable companies took his comments and ran with it.

Anyways, that was just my opinion. I am not a Murdoch fan.

So,apparently you agree, D* is a "turd bird"? I doubt he has anything to do with D* recent turnaround, if it indeed is turned. He certainly had a lot to do with the merger from happening, the FCC hates Murdoch. The cable companies took his comments and ran with it.

Anyways, that was just my opinion. I am not a Murdoch fan.

I can give a rats a$$, which BILLIONAIRE owns DirecTV. Just was correcting what was totally incorrect info given by you regarding Rupert being gone from DirecTV - it hasn't happened yet.

I can give a rats a$$, which BILLIONAIRE owns DirecTV. Just was correcting what was totally incorrect info given by you regarding Rupert being gone from DirecTV - it hasn't happened yet.

Well completely off topic now, but I am pretty sure Rupert has been out since sometime around December 06. Here is at least 1 source:
DIRECTV’s Largest Stake Acquired by Liberty Media : Direct TV Satellite TV Blog

If you have verified information to the contrary, I apologize for insulting your favorite billionaire. Apparently, I hit a nerve. I was not trying to start an argument.

Well completely off topic now, but I am pretty sure Rupert has been out since sometime around December 06. Here is at least 1 source:
DIRECTV’s Largest Stake Acquired by Liberty Media : Direct TV Satellite TV Blog

If you have verified information to the contrary, I apologize for insulting your favorite billionaire. Apparently, I hit a nerve. I was not trying to start an argument.

Now that you have posted an article - you should read it. December 06 is when they announced the deal - it says that in your article. And the deal has NOT closed yet.

You have hit no nerve - incorrect info never does.

Definitive Proof:
DTV: Profile for THE DIRECTV GROUP I - Yahoo! Finance

Now that you have posted an article - you should read it. December 06 is when they announced the deal - it says that in your article. And the deal has NOT closed yet.

You have hit no nerve - incorrect info never does.

Definitive Proof:
DTV: Profile for THE DIRECTV GROUP I - Yahoo! Finance

I did read it, there was no indication that the deal would happen a year later. It sounded fairly immediate. I could find no credible source that has said when or if that deal had already taken place. As a follow up, Reuters says that the deal should happen second half of 07, again no date. If they have done this WITH Rupert, things will only get better WITHOUT. He left UK's SKY satellite service in shambles.

BTW, you could have just made the comment that he was still there and provided the link and it wouldn't have came across that you were perturbed with my response.

I think we have beat this thing to death. We are now way off topic. Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)