Echostar X NOW IN ORBIT! AND AQUIRED!

RVD420 said:
If Dish were to move the core off of 119 and move it to 110, then 119 would make a great Shared National Lil Delivery slot. But for that to ever happen both providers would have to agree on a format to use.
That format is MPEG-4.

Considering D* and E* are actually talking to each other about another joint project, maybe, just maybe, we WILL see some bandwidth sharing down the road.

mera said:
You know Direct actually rents some satellites from Echostar

hehe echostar should just take the locals they got on them and use them as a direct/dish satellite and broadcast the ones they have on that sat to cust in the dma's dish doesn't have covered on their satellites ... but i bet that more rules than they are willing to break ......

would it be pirating if your stealing satellite signal from a satellite you own ? LOL

DirecTV does not rent any satellites from Echostar. I don't know where you obtained this information but is unbelievably incorrect.

By the way DirecTV is currently battling with Dish through the FCC approval process regarding potential E-10 spotbeam interference with DirecTV5 satellite at 110 W. I don't expect any satellite bandwidth sharing. Besides DirecTV has invested a great deal in their Ka band satellites while Dish will be trying to increase their bandwidth efficiency at 110/119/129 with spotbeam satellites such as E-10.

The development of a wireless terrestrial broadband network is something completely different. It will be very expensive but it would not involve any satellite resources especially if it is expected to be used for voice services because the latency problems with satellite. If DirecTV/Dish were to develop this network, they would be competing with not only the cable companies but also with the telephone companies especially those with FIOS plans. One company that has a nationwide DSL network that is also developing wireless broadband is Covad Communications. They would be a great fit with DirecTV/Dish on this network.

Both using MPEG-4 is not the whole story. Does D* use 8PSK? Can their STBs recognize it?

RVD420 said:
That would not be a good idea.

Dish has 29 TPs at 110
Dish has 21 TPs at 119

Dish would be giving up more TPs in a shared 110 for National Lil Delivery.

If Dish were to move the core off of 119 and move it to 110, then 119 would make a great Shared National Lil Delivery slot. But for that to ever happen both providers would have to agree on a format to use.

That would be true if they were to share transmission capacity within the same markets on the same frequencies. What I am talking about is reusing spotbeams in different markets. For example, Dish could use TP3 in Los Angeles and DirecTV could use TP4 in Los Angeles. Meanwhile, DirecTV could use TP3 in Dallas and Dish could use TP4 in Dallas. Assuming all of the uplink centers for the two providers are adequately separated from one another, there could be sufficient capacity on maybe four spotbeam satellites between them to cover all markets in the US from one orbital slot. Subscribers to each service would only see transmissions from their own provider in their own local market, so it wouldn't matter what format the transmissions were in.

Or maybe I am overlooking something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)