Echostar XIX launch on 12/18 on channel 89 in HD

I dont believe that DSL lines are truly dedicated like people believe.
DSL is not dedicated. It all gets lumpted together with everyone else in your 'exchange', just like with cable internet (although it gets lumped together with your neighbors closer, but with fewer people).

In the grand scheme of things, remember, the entire internet is 'shared'.

DSL is not dedicated. It all gets lumpted together with everyone else in your 'exchange', just like with cable internet (although it gets lumped together with your neighbors closer, but with fewer people).

In the grand scheme of things, remember, the entire internet is 'shared'.
It depends if it gets lumped into a t-1 or an OC3..on what your speed will be

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

I was watching it while it was on hold and then had to leave for the airport to pick up my daughter. By the time I got to the airport, 25 minutes, it was up in the sky. I used Dish Anywhere from the parking lot at the airport to find that out! :)

Reactions: KE4EST
I was watching it while it was on hold and then had to leave for the airport to pick up my daughter. By the time I got to the airport, 25 minutes, it was up in the sky. I used Dish Anywhere from the parking lot at the airport to find that out! :)
I set a timer with 90 minutes end late in case needed.

Where can I learn more about satellite internet service? My daughter lives out in the country and she was asking me about it. Does the DISH TV technicians install the Hughes satellite dishes too? Is this new satellite that was just launched going to help improve things? She lives in Texas and has a Hopper 3 and bunch of Joeys service now.

Does she have internet service currently and if so, who is it with ? In many cases, satellite internet is only feasible if there are zero other options.

If her family has even medium internet usage (Netflix-type streaming, Youtube, etc), they need to be very aware of the rather low data caps per month. I think on the high side of a cap, they allow up to 50 gb per month. At my house, we use 400+ gb per month, just as an example. Satellite does have unrestricted data usage but only between the hours of like 2am and 5am or something but that's pretty silly. How many can, or even know how, to schedule downloads for later times ?

Does she have internet service currently and if so, who is it with ? In many cases, satellite internet is only feasible if there are zero other options.

If her family has even medium internet usage (Netflix-type streaming, Youtube, etc), they need to be very aware of the rather low data caps per month. I think on the high side of a cap, they allow up to 50 gb per month. At my house, we use 400+ gb per month, just as an example. Satellite does have unrestricted data usage but only between the hours of like 2am and 5am or something but that's pretty silly. How many can, or even know how, to schedule downloads for later times ?
I am not sure Hall. Here is the company they are with. http://www.wcc.net/internet in San Angelo Texas. I know they have a little antenna of some kind on their roof and I think the internet comes in from a tower. They are tired of the poor service.

If that's who/what they're using, there's a good chance that they have no cable internet or DSL. But, they probably don't have data caps.

Ask her about satellite internet. I suspect she's already aware of it and has looked into it.

If that's who/what they're using, there's a good chance that they have no cable internet or DSL. But, they probably don't have data caps.

Ask her about satellite internet. I suspect she's already aware of it and has looked into it.
You are correct, no cable and no DSL. What kind of service is that place in San Angelo? She hasn't looked in to satellite service yet except for asking me about it. I Googled it the other day and came up with the top three, HughsNet, Exede, and dishNet. What is the difference between HughsNet and dishNet? Are they two separate companies?

I think what she has is wireless or microwave internet service. It's not that uncommon - I think you see it a lot in areas near cities but not too rural, if that makes any sense. It's hard to get inside cities because it needs line-of-sight and without having a really tall tower for the antenna, there's too much potential for obstruction. There's also a distance limit with microwave, so you can't be 50+ miles away either.

I think what she has is wireless or microwave internet service. It's not that uncommon - I think you see it a lot in areas near cities but not too rural, if that makes any sense. It's hard to get inside cities because it needs line-of-sight and without having a really tall tower for the antenna, there's too much potential for obstruction. There's also a distance limit with microwave, so you can't be 50+ miles away either.
IC, thanks for info. I think I will have her check out that top three satellite list and see what she comes up with.

If she's going to try it, at least talk her into running both services for a while. Especially if there's a back out period on the satellite service.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts