EchoStar's Dish Network Launches Nation's Largest HD Lineup by Adding Expanded ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
(cont)...Suite of Rainbow Media's VOOM HD Networks

New 15-channel Offering Reinforces VOOM's Role as the Leading Provider of Niche HD Content

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 5, 2006--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH - News) and Rainbow Media Holdings announced today that EchoStar's DISH Network will expand its offering of Rainbow's VOOM HD Networks from 10 to 15 channels. VOOM HD Networks provides the largest and most diverse suite of HD content in the nation, and today's announcement reinforces its commitment to fill the HD content void and to create programming that maximizes the HD experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
As part of its strategy to be the nation's leading provider of HD programming, DISH Network started distributing an initial lineup of 10 VOOM HD Networks in the spring of 2005. Telecast in 1080i with Dolby 5.1 surround sound, VOOM HD Networks provide 24 hours of high-definition, commercial-free, programming. The new suite of 15 VOOM HD channels will be available to consumers on February 1, as part of DISH Network's new DishHD package, which was also introduced today at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show.

"VOOM's programming is created to maximize HD technology and to bring the power, clarity and beauty of this medium to the broadest possible audience. VOOM has become the premier television destination for high definition," said Greg Moyer, general manager of VOOM HD Networks. Mr. Moyer added, "Growth is an important marker for any brand's success. We are excited and encouraged by the support we are receiving, and look forward to continuing to infuse lively and original programming into the HD spectrum."

"With the addition of these five new VOOM HD channels, DISH Network solidifies its leadership position by providing the most HD channels and more hours of HD content than any other provider," said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming at DISH Network. "Millions of households are expected to purchase HDTV sets in 2006: With nearly twice as many channels as most other providers, DishHD will be the package of choice for new HD viewers."

Following is the VOOM HD Networks channel line-up that will be available on EchoStar's DISH Network:

* HDNews - The only HD source for 24/7 news, sports and weather.
* Equator HD - The most extraordinary places and people on the planet.
* Gallery HD -- Stunning imagery and stories from the frontline of the art world.
* Rush HD - Life on the edge with adrenaline junkies of adventure sports.
* Rave HD - Live music as a whole new experience in HD and 5.1 surround sound.
* Ultra HD - The hottest fashion, the coolest styles and insight into the 'luxe life from around the world.
* Animania HD - Eye-popping HD animation from the groundbreaking to the classic.
* Monsters HD - The masters of movie horror in terrifying HD clarity.
* Gameplay HD - Enter the virtual worlds of video gaming for the first time in HD.
* Treasure HD -- Live auctions and original series for and about people with a passion for collecting.
* Worldsport HD -- Live sports coverage from premier arenas around the globe.
* Family Room HD -- Movies and entertainment for the whole family.
* Film Fest HD -- A non-stop film festival for movie fans, remastered in HD.
* Kung Fu HD -- All martial arts action, all the time.
* World Cinema HD -- Award-winning and top-performing movies without borders.

Since its launch in early 2005, VOOM has gone on to produce compelling original HD content for a wide variety of consumer interests including: the largest collection of HD horror films; a live auction of one-of-a-kind memorabilia; animation for kids of all ages and action-adventure sporting events.

The five newly added VOOM HD channels will be available to DISH Network customers who obtain DISH Network's new MPEG4 satellite receivers capable of receiving the new HD channels. Customers with MPEG2 equipment can view the current 10 VOOM HD channels as well as other previously offered DISH Network HD programming.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH - News) serves more than 12 million satellite TV customers through it s DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last six years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

About VOOM HD Networks

VOOM HD Networks is the largest suite of high definition channels available anywhere, produced exclusively in high definition for distribution in the U.S. through satellite and cable operators. The VOOM HD Networks carry programming in categories as diverse as sports, movies, fashion, music and art. Today, the VOOM HD Networks are available nationally on Echostar's DISH Network. The VOOM HD Networks were developed by Rainbow Media to meet the growing demand for quality high definition programming, building on Rainbow Media's history of original programming innovation.

About Rainbow Media Holdings LLC

A leader in the entertainment industry, Rainbow Media Holdings LLC is a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC - News). Rainbow creates and manages some of the country's most compelling and dynamic programming with linear networks including national networks - AMC, fuse, IFC (The Independent Film Channel) and WE: Women's Entertainment; its regional programming service - Rainbow Sports Networks; on-demand networks including Mag Rack and sportskool; and the largest suite of high definition channels available anywhere - the VOOM HD Networks. Rainbow's other businesses include its film distribution, production and exhibition division - IFC Entertainment; in addition to its advertising sales division - Rainbow Advertising Sales Corporation - and its full service network programming origination and distribution company - Rainbow Network Communications.

Rainbow Media / VOOM HD Networks
Lisa Rogen, 917-716-9628
or
EchoStar / DISH Network
720-514-5351
press@echostar.com

Source: Rainbow Media Holdings LLC

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060105/20060105005991.html?.v=1

If I am currently not subscribed to Voom, do I need to put another dish on my roof to receive these channels? If so, is it free (as it should be)? My guess is no....

Technically, what Dish states in this announcement is not entirely true.

They are labeling the VOOM channels as being HD 1080i. As the present VOOM channels are being broadcast in 1280x1080, and given that 1280x1080 is not an official HD format, they cannot claim that these channels are true high definition.

To do so is fraudulent advertising.

well the guys from this site who are at CES need to step up and say something to these screwballs. I think we need to make our voices heard and calling them or writing won't do any good. The big wigs are in Vegas so tell them face to face....if I could've gone I would be all over them at VOOM/Dish

Hey where are those pictures from the CES Show that show the city's that are being added??

I thought the whole point of making it 15 HD channels instead of 21 HD channels was to have more room on the satellite to make all of the VoOm channels full resolution? What in the world is going on here? This is so screwed up. Who threw the monkey wrench?

Stargazer said:
I thought the whole point of making it 15 HD channels instead of 21 HD channels was to have more room on the satellite to make all of the VoOm channels full resolution? What in the world is going on here? This is so screwed up. Who threw the monkey wrench?
If I was there I would hold charlie down and give him a good tea bagging. If anyone don't know what tea bagging is, its when someone dips there nuts on someones head like its a tea bag:eek: Sad thing, is that fag would probably like it.

BrettTRay said:
If I was there I would hold charlie down and give him a good tea bagging. If anyone don't know what tea bagging is, its when someone dips there nuts on someones head like its a tea bag:eek: Sad thing, is that fag would probably like it.
It's a good thing I decided to drink coffee this morning instead of green tea...:eek:

Stargazer said:

Hey you got the double bonus. Adding garbage channels and downrezing them. I think we should all jump ship. If anyone has a chance you can get a sneak peak of your hd cable in most areas if you do the following. Make sure you have a tv with a hd tuner or a hd tuner box with qam capability.

Split your cable internet with a 5-1000mhz splitter or above. Take the one without the power pass and feed to your tv. Do a scan. You will most likely get a crappload of channels. MOst of them will be blank and some will not. Legally the local high def channels have to be free and clear. Also many of the other 480i channels will be clear as well. I checked the quality and all of my channels comming from cable are way better than the dish ones. I am lucky to be in an area that has good cable. It is a good way to check out what you would expect before you jump ship.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts