Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
I received a call from "EchoVoOm" today. They asked about who I was with as my multichannel provider. I explained to them that I am with DirecTV, have HD and a TiVo. The offered me new service with a commitment and a $100 dish install for the 61.5 bird. More or less I gave them my own bird, well with tact. I told them if they would like me as a customer I am happy to sign up, but would require TWO 942's and a free install. As you would expect they said no. The moral of the story is Voom has poor service, and E* still has poor service ... heck if they would have countered with ONE 942 and one other dual tuner PVR with the HD Pack and DVR service for 55/mo (What I pay , now) I might have actually considered it if only to add more knowledge for helping folks on the forum. As I was laughing, half at the "offer" as they called it and half at what I asked for I felt the sudden need to remind them I was on the National DO NOT CALL list. Our conversation promptly ended.

Sorry Charlie ... tricks are for kids.

E* has always been weird,I got a call years ago about switching to thier service with this great offer,talked to them for a few minutes and said "What the hell I'll try it" give them the info that they need and they say I can't because of a credit problem.I say okay thanks,two days later a senior CSR calls and said they made a mistake and would I still be interested--------Hung up the phone and that is the last time I want to talk to them-VOOM -50 Hd channels will never help them--The FCC did not allow the merger of Echostar and Directv because they have Directv and did not want to have the service to go to hell

Slacker, my guess who be that your call came from a retailer using a call center and identifying themselves as EchoVoom. I get calls ALL the time from "DirecTV" and "Dish Network" when I get talking to them I always find out that it is just a retaler, like Direct4U or one of VMC's so called affiliate mebers. But hey, I always feel warm and fuzzy when they tell me they are my "LOCAL" satellite providor and one of thier "LOCAL" thechs will do my install.

wobbie said:
Slacker, my guess who be that your call came from a retailer using a call center and identifying themselves as EchoVoom. I get calls ALL the time from "DirecTV" and "Dish Network" when I get talking to them I always find out that it is just a retaler, like Direct4U or one of VMC's so called affiliate mebers. But hey, I always feel warm and fuzzy when they tell me they are my "LOCAL" satellite providor and one of thier "LOCAL" thechs will do my install.

That is pretty funny. The day an installer in NY can install my system in Florida will be the day hell freezes over.

It's been reported that Voom probably sold customer information to 3rd parties, so this third party knew you were once a Voom customer. Either that, or Charles Ergen is mad about guys in Colorado having D* (little joke).

With the demise of Voom, I switched to D* and I have to say that I'm glad I did. I have the HD Tivo and an H10. That HD Tivo is an amazing piece of equipment. Even though some Voom exclusives are being broadcast as part of E*'s HD package, I'm pleased to be disconnected from the Dolan soap opera. We (box owners) are still waiting for word on what Cablevision intends to do for us, as my Voom STB sits unplugged in the basement.

The Stone Man said:
With the demise of Voom, I switched to D* and I have to say that I'm glad I did. I have the HD Tivo and an H10. That HD Tivo is an amazing piece of equipment. Even though some Voom exclusives are being broadcast as part of E*'s HD package, I'm pleased to be disconnected from the Dolan soap opera.

You are absolutely correct Stone Man. I love the HD Tivo and I'm happy to be away from all of the VOOM drama.

I do love the "EchoVoom" moniker. That's what it is....that's what it should be called here.

I did used to have Voom ... but that does not mean they can solicit. I have Qwest phone service and they cannot even call to sell me new products, I have told them so :) Funny thing, 30 minutes after this post my wife starts talking about this growth her company will have ... turns out her company (right here in Ft Collins, CO) is the one making the calls. Humph. That too made me laugh. Had I gotten the agents name I would have had her apologize.

Very poor service I had to get rid of Dishnetwork, But voom did not merge with dish did they?

Not a merger, Gm2. Dish bought the Rainbow1 satellite and an uplink facility. They also purchased some broadcast rights for the Voom exclusive channels, known as Voom 21. Voom ceased broadcasting as a satellite provider on May 1, and E* picked up 10 of the 21 Voom exclusives, with the promise to broadcast all 21 of them in the future.

Yep. I loved my Voom, but when the time came for a new provider my handy dandy chainsaw cleared a path straight for the D* birds. You just cna't beat the HD-Tivo (at least I can't!). And with NFL season creeping up... yummy.

whatever, all I know is that I am enjoying 19 HD channels which don't include ota locals through the Dish/Voom deal

by next year they will have the complete voom content

shortly this year they will be allowing lease of the 942 for everyone. Eventually you will get a lease deal from DTV, but in the meantime if you want a HD DVR it will cost you

Right now Dish/Voom have the most HD content, and will have mpeg4 before the end of the year. If direct comes out with more compelling quantity and quality, I will re-evaluate, but currently it isn't there from my perspective

The Stone Man said:
Not a merger, Gm2. Dish bought the Rainbow1 satellite and an uplink facility. They also purchased some broadcast rights for the Voom exclusive channels, known as Voom 21. Voom ceased broadcasting as a satellite provider on May 1, and E* picked up 10 of the 21 Voom exclusives, with the promise to broadcast all 21 of them in the future.

Actually Ergen bought a small interest in the Voom channels and therefore would probably have access to the sub list.

jeslevine said:
whatever, all I know is that I am enjoying 19 HD channels which don't include ota locals through the Dish/Voom deal

shortly this year they will be allowing lease of the 942 for everyone. Eventually you will get a lease deal from DTV, but in the meantime if you want a HD DVR it will cost you

Right now Dish/Voom have the most HD content, and will have mpeg4 before the end of the year. If direct comes out with more compelling quantity and quality, I will re-evaluate, but currently it isn't there from my perspective
Enjoy! Like I've said in other threads, most of my HD viewing is OTA. Personally I think the 942 is a boat anchor (literally ... man that thing is HUGE!!!!), I'll bet you could moor an Iowa-Class battleship with that bad boy.

I think the HD lineup offered by E* & D* stinks. That's right I just bashed D* on the HD lineup. Speaking of "compelling" I was compelled to cancel Voom after just 3 weeks with 2 FREE months of service on the books, I cannot imagine its improved at all on Dish, but I have been wrong before. Dish I cancelled under contract ... so I am thinking my choice is limited. OTA ... or D*.

Just for the record ... D* has MPEG4 today, it debuted at CES, the new birds will just expand this ability (to actual broadcast, LOL).

Like I said ... enjoy.

jeslevine said:

You better keep your eyes open. Directv launched the first of 4 new satellites about 2 weeks ago and the second is scheduled for June. With the succesful launch and deployment Directv will be able to add 500 channels of MPEG4 HDTV. Yes DISH has a temporary lead in HD channels but in reality is way behind. :)

boba said:
You better keep your eyes open. Directv launched the first of 4 new satellites about 2 weeks ago and the second is scheduled for June. With the succesful launch and deployment Directv will be able to add 500 channels of MPEG4 HDTV. Yes DISH has a temporary lead in HD channels but in reality is way behind. :)
Well, Dish launched two satellites last year that aren't even being used yet, and are in the process of acquiring the VOOM satellite. They're in a good position to compete with D* for bandwidth for the forseeable future.

I am an Dish subscriber, my neighbor had direct TV, now he has switched to Dish. His comments, both have good/bad. Some channels are better on one than the other. Right now, Dish has the most in HD. As far as 500 HD from Direct, there are not but about 10 more channels if that of HD stuff broadcasting, who is going to create the other 490 ? Locals in HD, big woopee, if you can get CBS HD, PBS,NBC HD, ABC HD etc, I don't see why you would want locals in HD if they would allow access to to network feeds, or get them OTA. My neighbor says the guide is better on Dish and channel changing is faster. As far as Tivo, can't knock it, never had one, but the Dish DVR's I have work just fine.

I added the Voom 10 right after it was available, the picture quality is stunning, as with the rest of Dish's HD offerings.

No complaints from this Dish customer yet.

Which bring us full circle to everyone enjoy their providers. I mean dish was ranked best by JD Power, and Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup. This all proves that anyone can be the best for 8 months. :p, but over the long haul stong and steady wins the race. I would be interested to know if Dish is providing an equal amount of Misquito noise as voom. Any takers?

We all know DirecTV is the be HD Lite provider around. (Wake up Bob M.)

slacker9876 said:
I would be interested to know if Dish is providing an equal amount of Misquito noise as voom. Any takers?

I had all three -- V*, E*, D* --- and currently have E* & D*. In answering your question about the mosquito noise on Equator HD. Yes it is present and still there. Equator HD is at 1920x1080i sharing Tp with another HD channel. All the PQ complainers on this channel were incorrect. The resolution and the bandwith did not have anything to do with the mosquito noise but it was the production of these old programs (Eye Over most significant). If you watch a recent production on Equator HD, you will not notice the mosquito noise. Watch the "Earth Diaries" shows which were recently produced by Equator HD and the mosquito noise is not there. There are a lot of misinformation that needs to be corrected.

As far as HD on D*: D* needs to put the HD channels back to 1920x1080i and give them better bandwith. They are righ now starving and suffering from all kinds of video glitches due to the Harmonic Encoders they are using. Voom was using the same Harmonic Encoders and was able to resolve the problems. I have made comparisons between D*/E* on HDnet, HDnet movies, DiscoveryHD Theater and ESPNHD. Is it as close as DVD quality as some argue? No way!!!! Is it a problem? YES. I hope they address it when the new birds go up but who knows if that is going to be addressed. We will see. Some choose to ignore the problem but if we keep ignoring the problems nothing will be done. As far as those Voom HD channels, I am sure if D* carry them, they all be welcomed by us. Let's not kid ourselves we all want them. But realistically it is not going to happen now and I personally prefer if D* address the problems noted before about their current HD channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)