EDTV with 811

yukon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Ok heres the Deal.. I have an EDTV with 811 receiver and I'm wondering is it best to set the Receiver at 1080i or 480p. Cause I know my TV accepts 1080i but if I am correct an EDTV just scales down... so basically i'm just wondering how I should setup my 811. Right now I've had it at 1080i and I have all my SD channels stretched. Hooked to Plasma with Monster M500DVi Cable.. Any help?? thanks

If it's ED only, I'd go with 480P. No need for conversion that way and it will standard widescreen the picture. See which way you get your cleanest picture and go with it.

I trust peoples opinions over my eyes.... They deceive me sometimes :p

Well, You are better off just using 480p.

and the reason being is that if you set the 811 to 1080i when you watch anything in SD it will have to upconvert it to 1080i and your tv will have to downconvert it to 480p.. so when your watching SD with the 811 at 1080i you will have 2 resolution conversions. (and less is better)

and HD will require just 1 conversion either way you go.

making 480p your best option.

yukon said:
I trust peoples opinions over my eyes.... They deceive me sometimes :p
It would seem to me that if you can't tell the difference, then it shouldn't make any difference which way you go.

played with it tonight and yes I can tell a difference... my SD's look better at 480 and my HD looks better at 1080i.. for some reason when my HD is 480p its all jagged and looks crappy.. Anyway i'm to blame with this cheap crappy GATEWAY plasma.. Someone please shoot me :(

No, it's the people who sell plasma tv's that can only do 480p that should be shot. Happens that they are also the same people that like to sell Windows XP computers with 128mb of ram... yes these people must die :(

yukon said:
played with it tonight and yes I can tell a difference... my SD's look better at 480 and my HD looks better at 1080i.. for some reason when my HD is 480p its all jagged and looks crappy.. Anyway i'm to blame with this cheap crappy GATEWAY plasma.. Someone please shoot me :(
I'm glad my suggestion helped. If only Dish would enable the SD/HD button to change the 811's output rez. Then, you could easily change from 480p-780p-1080i without going through all the menus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)