EHD and saving old Dvr programs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chetwr

Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
I am considering a Hopper, but I am unclear on saving my old programs. I have a 1TB EHD full and a 722 almost full. How do I get these programs to the new system. Another EHD is not an option as I understand it, as it would also need to be activated and I would be charged another fee. Given the complex install of the Hopper, how do I save the shows? Perhaps connecting the EHD to a PC, and clean them off, but I don't know if that's possible. I understand the EHD is encrypted, and Linux OS. Does the Hopper have enough space to do this, given there is so much space dedicated to PTAT (which I won't use)?
Also, if the Hopper does not yet do OTA, does that mean I'd I'd get the 4 networks from NY or somewhere? I don't particularly whether local or not.

Thanks
Chet

1. Another EHD is an option as there is no EHD fee anymore. You would just transfer your shows from the 722 to the EHD, and when you get the Hopper installed you can keep the shows on the EHD or transfer them to the Hopper's internal drive.
2. If you don't have AAD distants now you could add them for the monthly price, I would wait until the Hopper has OTA support (this summer) to upgrade.

1. Another EHD is an option as there is no EHD fee anymore. You would just transfer your shows from the 722 to the EHD, and when you get the Hopper installed you can keep the shows on the EHD or transfer them to the Hopper's internal drive.

2. If you don't have AAD distants now you could add them for the monthly price, I would wait until the Hopper has OTA support (this summer) to upgrade.

-----You mean the 722 will just recognize another drive, or I would still need have them activated (even at No charge)? Could I put the 2 EHD on a usb Hub?

-------I don't know what AAD distants are.....please explain
And thanks for the info, at least now I can get some room.......my wife and Oprah network creates digital hoarding!
Chet

-----You mean the 722 will just recognize another drive, or I would still need have them activated (even at No charge)? Could I put the 2 EHD on a usb Hub?

-------I don't know what AAD distants are.....please explain
And thanks for the info, at least now I can get some room.......my wife and Oprah network creates digital hoarding!
Chet

Yes it will just recognize it and format it. AAD is the provider of distant in Lieu of Dish providing them directly. Basically you pay them to get the Big 4 networks from New York or Los Angeles.

ALLAMERICANDIRECT.COM

What issac was referring to: the Hopper does not have ota as of yet, if you do not have locals, you may be to subscribe to them via All American Direct. They can sell them if you qualify and they would appear on your Dish receiver. Dish themselves cannot supply them to you.

I would wait until OTA support is out. June at the earliest, maybe later. OK, probably later. Certainly no earlier than May, for reasons only hinted at. There are a few reports of bugs in reading EHDs from ViP receivers. I'd wait. In fact, I am waiting. Let a few more bugs be worked out. What's another 3-6 months? If you're happy today, there's no rush. Sure, there's more "new" to be had. But there's a cost. Let it ride until more bugs are worked out, maybe until seamless Hopper integration is worked out, also.

Thanks, I wanted upgrade for more space, then for more tuners next. No OTA is a deal breaker, so waiting is smart.
Thanks guys
Chet

I transferred everything from my 922 to a EHD And everything on my wife's 722 to a EHD.. Then upgraded to the hopper.. No problems at all seeing everything on them..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)