EHD and Upgrade from Hopper 2 to 3

That is incorrect. Again, it's a firmware, isolated from the drive. Google disabling external WD sleep mode. If I knew I would walk you through, but like I said, I bypass that problem.

The 2007 Western Digital drive does not support sleep timer. The 2010 and 2016 Western Digital drives both support the sleep timer. They are both set to On and set for 30 minutes. I shut the sleep timer off and will evaluate if this fixes the issue. If it fixes the problem, it is really a bandaid since the Hopper 3 system should really control the drive. The drive should not have to run continuously. I am sure that the internal drive on the Hopper 3 does not run continuously.

The 2007 Western Digital drive does not support sleep timer. The 2010 and 2016 Western Digital drives both support the sleep timer. They are both set to On and set for 30 minutes. I shut the sleep timer off and will evaluate if this fixes the issue. If it fixes the problem, it is really a bandaid since the Hopper 3 system should really control the drive. The drive should not have to run continuously. I am sure that the internal drive on the Hopper 3 does not run continuously.
You are putting the target on the wrong hay bale How can Dish possibly know about every firmware version WD may come up with. We have provided with you with idea/sources to solve YOUR problem. Up to you now.

You are putting the target on the wrong hay bale How can Dish possibly know about every firmware version WD may come up with. We have provided with you with idea/sources to solve YOUR problem. Up to you now.

Dish was able to control the drives regardless of the firmware with the old interface. They recommended Western Digital drives as long as they were powered and no bigger than 2 terabytes and they worked well until they introduced the carbon interface. So don't try to make excuses for them. I am convinced that they should be able to gain control of the drives.

Well, you dismissed him right smartly didn't you. Use your band aid or go sit in the corner.

Does it occur to you that not everyone has the sources/resources that you do and they
may not know what you're talking about?

Dish offers a port for an EHD and they should make it work instead of having to
apply band aids and have the EHD run itself into the ground.

You are putting the target on the wrong hay bale How can Dish possibly know about every firmware version WD may come up with.

QUOTE]
Well, you dismissed him right smartly didn't you. Use your band aid or go sit in the corner.

Does it occur to you that not everyone has the sources/resources that you do and they
may not know what you're talking about?

Dish offers a port for an EHD and they should make it work instead of having to
apply band aids and have the EHD run itself into the ground.
The sleep mode problem has long been documented and discussed. Ironically, when Dish first made the introduced the EHD capability, long before the advent of Hopper, Seagate did a PR tie-in with Dish. Well, guess who's drives never worked correctly??? I think in time, they fixed the sleep problem on later models. You can call my suggestion a band-aide if you like. Others might call it a fix.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yesterday, I used WD Drive Utilities to disable sleep mode on the two newer Mybook drives. By the way, you do not need to reformat the drive - just plug it into a computer and the WD program detects the drive.

I tested it today on my two Hopper 3 receivers and it did not fix the problem. I still get the 1 sec error message and then the blank screen. Your idea of disabling sleep mode did not solve the problem.

Reactions: rmoore3d
The sleep mode problem has long been documented and discussed. Ironically, when Dish first made the introduced the EHD capability, long before the advent of Hopper, Seagate did a PR tie-in with Dish. Well, guess who's drives never worked correctly??? I think in time, they fixed the sleep problem on later models. You can call my suggestion a band-aide if you like. Others might call it a fix.

Only DISH can apply the fix.
Users are left to apply band aids.

Early in this thread you said the problem was fixed with the recent Big Fix.
Did you actually mean that or was it some kind of esoteric snark?

Only DISH can apply the fix.
Users are left to apply band aids.

Early in this thread you said the problem was fixed with the recent Big Fix.
Did you actually mean that or was it some kind of esoteric snark?
EDHs were not being recognized AT ALL earlier in the year. Took a month or more to fix. No esoteric snark!

I tested it today on my two Hopper 3 receivers and it did not fix the problem. I still get the 1 sec error message and then the blank screen. Your idea of disabling sleep mode did not solve the problem.
It's worked for many. One can only try.

It sounds like those that are not having the problem are using internal drives in a docking station. It would be interesting to have everyone report what they are using for an external drive and docking enclosure along with their results.

I am using the following external powered 2 TB drives:
2007 WD Mybook
2010 WD Mybook - sleep disabled
2016 WD Mybook - sleep disabled

I also have observed that the drives do spin down even though sleep mode is disabled. Thus the Hopper 3 is controlling the drive.

I do believe that Dish has made progress regarding the external drive issues. Initially the new interface did not even recognize the USB drives. What makes me hopeful that Dish will eventually find the solution, is the fact that the Hopper 3 has no problem transferring shows to and from the external drives. Thus when doing a transfer, the Hopper is able to spin up the drive and do the transfer. The problem only occurs the first time you try to watch a program on the external drive. That is why I believe that it is a timing issue.

The sleep mode problem has long been documented and discussed. Ironically, when Dish first made the introduced the EHD capability, long before the advent of Hopper, Seagate did a PR tie-in with Dish. Well, guess who's drives never worked correctly??? I think in time, they fixed the sleep problem on later models.
They must have fixed it, because I got a 1TB Seagate drive from Dish, and I have never had any problems using it with a ViP211k or a Wally.

Reactions: rmoore3d
They must have fixed it, because I got a 1TB Seagate drive from Dish, and I have never had any problems using it with a ViP211k or a Wally.

A VIP211k would work because it uses the old software. The problems with the external drives started when Dish rolled out the new carbon interface. I think that the Wally uses the new interface but the hardware is different than a Hopper. Of coarse the Hopper with sling and the hopper 3 both exhibit the same problem with the external drives. The external drives worked well with the hopper with sling with the old interface. Thus the problem is a software issue and not a hardware issue.

Reactions: littlecloud319
If sleep mode on the EHD is causing the problem, then why didn't we have the problem before CUI was introduced. The CUI is causing the problem.
I am leaving more and more stuff on my HWS HD to avoid the problem, because it is a pain in the ass. I have even looked into DirectTV,p but have not bit the bullet yet, but I am really considering the switch. I HATE having to go into the EHD twice to watch any and every program.

If sleep mode on the EHD is causing the problem, then why didn't we have the problem before CUI was introduced. The CUI is causing the problem.
I am leaving more and more stuff on my HWS HD to avoid the problem, because it is a pain in the ass. I have even looked into DirectTV,p but have not bit the bullet yet, but I am really considering the switch. I HATE having to go into the EHD twice to watch any and every program.

EHD blues continue for me as well. Nine times out of ten EHD shows up in Sources. Had moved a lot of stuff when I thought internal HD was going bad (Error code 311). Can't remember last error ?? recorded "You're the Worst" season 3 , and transferred to my WD EHD. Starting to watch before the 4th season started. Go through the EHD dance....Choose episode...hit play (screen goes blank)...go back to sources...choose EHD...go to You're the Worst folder....choose episode...hit play..Hopefully the little play icon shows up briefly not the Live TV one...Finish the episode (no playback issues, other than FF gets stuck into overdrive sometimes...LOL)...Hit to delete episode... screen goes blank...go back to start...well you get the Idea :confused:.

I have the HWS...becoming not fun anymore :eek:....90 percent ?? of my upgrade experience since my Father Day Dish software upgrade is good, some distractions do pop up though.

Steve

Dish could fix the issue the same way DTV did.... Or they could go back to 2012 and charge everyone the $40 activation fee. Never understood people that get mad or make demands that Dish fix a free issue.

Reactions: HipKat
Dish needs to realize that archiving programs on an external drive that is tied to your Dish account helps retention. Customers like me are willing to stay with Dish and overlook problems with the new Guide, OTA pixelating, etc. because we have 8 years of archived material such as the Olympic opening ceremonies and hundreds of movies. They can fix the problem. It worked well before the new software. I still believe that it is a timing issue with the ports.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlecloud319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)