EHD on 211 vs 211k

STDog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Just updated several receivers to 211's.

Bought a new EHD and tested it with my 211k. It worked fine.
Hooked it up to the 211 and it complains about an error and to try another drive.

Drive is a 500GB Seagate GoFlex. USB 3 interface (backwards compatible with USB 2).
(nice little drive, $50 at WalMart).

So, why would it work on the K model but not the older one?
Any one know of other drives that only work on the K?

Any ideas from the DIRT crew?

Maybe this will get them swapped out to the K models I was supposed to get.

Hooked it up to the 211 and it complains about an error and to try another drive.

Drive is a 500GB Seagate GoFlex. USB 3 interface (backwards compatible with USB 2).

Do you happen to have the number on the error that popped up?

Your Seagate is a USB powered drive. EHDs for Dish receivers must have AC power supplies. I am surprised the K recognized it at all.

Seems to work fine on the K. And the 211 partitioned/formatted it (I deleted the partitions created by the 211k to be sure)
Most of the drive's I've seen lately are USB powered, using mobile 2.5" drives that have low power requirements.

As for the error message, I'll have to check when I get home. I put it back on the 211k for now to be sure it's not a drive problem.

EHDs for Dish receivers must have AC power supplies. I am surprised the K recognized it at all.

Interesting. What about using a powered hub? Should that work?

It would sure make swapping/moving the drive easier.
Powered hubs are easier to find/cheaper than extra drive power supplies.

Never has been reported to work, afaik. I know you want to get some use out of your purchase, but not for this purpose.

I can return the drive easy enough.

The problem with a separate supply is moving it from receiver to receiver instead of just the drive.
I've got lots of extra USB cables. So the power supply would be the issue.

A simple powered hub that sit at each receiver would be easy.
So, has a powered hub been tried? With a 211?

Still wonder why it's working on the 211K. What's different?

Still wonder why it's working on the 211K. What's different?
It may be providing enough power through the USB port where the ViP211 isn't.

The idea isn't what you can get away with but what is known to be stable.

If you're hell-bent on not having a powered device, consider buying two docking stations and a bare drive. You may also be able to find a USB power inserter that will answer the need (but I'm betting it will cost as much as a dock).

I don't care if it's bus powered or external, if I can easily/cheaply find a spare power supply for for it.
(other than availability, as 80% of the units in the stores here are bus powered).

All the externally powered USB devices I have (have had) used impossible to find connectors for the power supply.
If the current crop has more readily available connectors then great.

It would be nice to have some official word on what the power capability is for power receivers.
I asked abut an externally powered hub as I know that's been used on a lot of laptops, which tend to have limited current output on the ports.

I've got a bus powered drive case that has a special cable with a second connector for extra power (from a second port) because of the know limitations.

For for 16-17 dollars more, you can get twice the drive...and the right one...
Newegg.com

Yep, and it might be here by the end of next week.
And what are the specs on the AC adapter?
How much does WD want for one?
Can I walk into Radio Shack and get the parts?

OK, looks like they are using easier connectors/supplies now.

This i what I've seen in the past
unnamed.jpg 4pin.jpg
pencil.png
pencil.png

The secret to success is to knock it off with the 2-1/2" "portable" drives. Most all of the 3-1/2" drives are self powered and often cheaper than bare drives.

I wonder what the startup current on this drive is. I need to contact Seagate and see what they say.

I remember laptops having trouble because a lot of them have weak post and the drive were pulling more than the spec for startup.

I suspect the drives are now withing the 500mA USB2.0 spec, as they aren't coming with the dual port cables now.
The 211k seams to be OK with the full spec current, but the older 211 isn't.

So I'd like to know if the 211 is able to supply current per the USB spec? Is it software limited to less? What's different about the 211k?

I wonder what the startup current on this drive is. I need to contact Seagate and see what they say.

I remember laptops having trouble because a lot of them have weak post and the drive were pulling more than the spec for startup.

I suspect the drives are now withing the 500mA USB2.0 spec, as they aren't coming with the dual port cables now.
The 211k seams to be OK with the full spec current, but the older 211 isn't.

So I'd like to know if the 211 is able to supply current per the USB spec? Is it software limited to less? What's different about the 211k?

HOW MANY TIMES do we need to tell you, you did not pay attention the the requirements? You can "spec" it all you want. Not gonna change a D thing. I have spent a lot of time finding additional power sources for you. Your continuous questions to try to change the FACTS are getting old. You have been told....end of thread, IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)