ehd required to transfer from 722k? typical upgrade cost since I'm past the 2 yr contract?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tahoejeff

Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
WI Dells, WI
1--I've been considering an upgrade to the hopper, and am very excited to see that it's possible to transfer my recordings. I've recorded around 15 hours of concerts that I'd like to have access to on my new dvr. I have never used an ehd with my current dvr because I didn't need the space and didn't like the charge to allow me to do it.

Do I have to pay for the ehd feature, and copy my concerts to an ehd, to transfer them to a hopper?

2--What kind of charges can I expect to see for the upgrade, since my 2 year contract was up last August?

3--I currently have the 722k in living room connected to living room tv with the component cables and kitchen tv with hdmi (using a remote extender). I have a 2nd HD receiver in bedroom.
Can I expect to do the same thing with the hopper? I don't know how much Dish charges per Joey, but would most likely be too much for me to consider a 2nd joey for the kitchen.

1. There is no fee for the EHD on a 722 and the recordings will work with the Hopper, you do have to buy your own EHD, for 15 recordings, you shouldn't need a very large one.
2. You would need to contact Dish or a DIRT member to give you that figure, it has to do with how long you have been with Dish, subscriptions and your standing.
3. Going from a 722 to 1 Hopper/2 Joey would be Dvr fee of $10 instead of six and receiver fees of $14 ($7 per Joey) so you bill increase would be $18, 1 Joey would $11.

There is no charge for your current set-up to use an EHD, as Garys said. If you transfer material from the 722 to an EHD it should work on the Hoppa. At one time there were problems, but afaik it now works.

Thank you both for the fast answers! I do currently have several ehds, although only one has it's own power supply (I think I read that was required). I had never tried plugging one in because I was told that this 'feature' cost $40. Maybe that's an old policy?

My 722k came with 2 remotes, so I was able to keep one in the kitchen to operate my dvr via the remote extender. If the hopper only comes with 1 remote, then I would need to pay for 2 joeys. Does the hopper just have 1 remote? If so, I suppose I could just carry the living rm remote to the kitchen and go back to controlling tv power and volume with the kitchen tv remote.
An $11 monthly increase is something I might be able to convince the wife of.

The $40 EHD fee went away (after I already paid it) for all but the ViP211 series.

There is no charge for your current set-up to use an EHD, as Garys said. If you transfer material from the 722 to an EHD it should work on the Hoppa. At one time there were problems, but afaik it now works.

But does the new software fix the problem that some people are having concerning only being able to play from the EHD, not play recordings after moving them from the EHD to the Hopper?

But does the new software fix the problem that some people are having concerning only being able to play from the EHD, not play recordings after moving them from the EHD to the Hopper?
I don't think it does. Better safe than sorry to keep recordings on your EHD and watch from there than to attempt to transfer them to the Hopper, until there is a well-documented confirmation that the problem has been fixed.

navychop said:
The $40 EHD fee went away (after I already paid it) for all but the ViP211 series.

I paid it too. Well worth it though. Did lots of archiving way before February 2011!

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

1. There is no fee for the EHD on a 722 and the recordings will work with the Hopper, you do have to buy your own EHD, for 15 recordings, you shouldn't need a very large one.
2. You would need to contact Dish or a DIRT member to give you that figure, it has to do with how long you have been with Dish, subscriptions and your standing.
3. Going from a 722 to 1 Hopper/2 Joey would be Dvr fee of $10 instead of six and receiver fees of $14 ($7 per Joey) so you bill increase would be $18, 1 Joey would $11.

If he has a 722 and a second HD receiver (assuming non DVR), his current fees would be $6 (DVR) + $7 (HDreceiver) which would now be $10 (DVR) + $14 (Joeys) for a total of $24, or an increase of $11. Sticking with a 1H/1J + 2nd remote for Hopper, his monthly rate would only go up $4.

If he has a 722 and a second HD receiver (assuming non DVR), his current fees would be $6 (DVR) + $7 (HDreceiver) which would now be $10 (DVR) + $14 (Joeys) for a total of $24, or an increase of $11. Sticking with a 1H/1J + 2nd remote for Hopper, his monthly rate would only go up $4.

Yes, I must have been thinking about the 222 and not the 211. Although the OP never did say what the send receiver was except for Non-Dvr.

Thanks again for all the info. So you are saying I CAN get a 2nd remote for the hopper? This 2nd remote was automatically included on the 722k.
I'd be fine with just a 2nd remote instead of paying for a 2nd joey. No need to watch separate programming in the kitchen. I'm assuming both component and hdmi outputs are active at the same time on the hopper like they are on the 722k.

I don't know the model of the bedroom receiver. Just that it is a non-dvr HD receiver.
So far, this is all sounding like great news! Really looking forward to the primetime recording (or 3rd tuner if I choose to disable PT) because I frequently record 2 shows at once, and the wife gets excited if she can't watch her channels!

Would it be safe to assume that the hopper will use the same dish and lnb that the 722k uses? I get lost signal too often when there are no storms or solar activity, but maybe I just have a screw loose. That's what my wife tells me. :D There are no trees causing obstructions.
Sounds like I'm ready to figure out how to contact the DiRT helpers here!

Thanks again for all the info. So you are saying I CAN get a 2nd remote for the hopper? This 2nd remote was automatically included on the 722k.
I'd be fine with just a 2nd remote instead of paying for a 2nd joey. No need to watch separate programming in the kitchen. I'm assuming both component and hdmi outputs are active at the same time on the hopper like they are on the 722k.

I don't know the model of the bedroom receiver. Just that it is a non-dvr HD receiver.
So far, this is all sounding like great news! Really looking forward to the primetime recording (or 3rd tuner if I choose to disable PT) because I frequently record 2 shows at once, and the wife gets excited if she can't watch her channels!

Would it be safe to assume that the hopper will use the same dish and lnb that the 722k uses? I get lost signal too often when there are no storms or solar activity, but maybe I just have a screw loose. That's what my wife tells me. :D There are no trees causing obstructions.

I believe the second remote will cost you $20. As far as the 2nd receiver, if your additional charge per month is $7 per month, it is a 211. If it is $14 then you have a 222 (which wouldn't make sense if you only have it connected to 1 tv). Sorry about incorrect info if you currently have a 211, oryan_dunn figured it correctly.

When they come out to change you over, they should also repeak your dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)