EHD stalls

ericha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
I’ve been moving a bunch of movies to a larger EHD, and have found it to be horribly unreliable. It seems that at least every day I have to reboot the receiver to get it to work again. Is this common, or am I missing something?

Hopper 3, moving from 3 TB WD to 6 TB WD disk. No, they aren’t connected at the same time.

I moved a bunch of programs off a 1.5TB WD to a 6 TB Seagate and had some odd issues somewhat like you report. In the first place, I left both disks connected, but merely turned off the 1.5TB disk in order to switch back to the 6TB disk (and vice versa). If I queued up a hundred programs to move off one drive and onto another, it wouldn't necessarily finish before the 3AM reboot happened. Sometimes the queue would restart OK the next day, but sometimes it did not and the wrong disk was showing and I couldn't do squat until I reversed my procedure.

When I start doing this on my 2nd 1.5TB disk, I'm going to use Linux! It's much faster anyway.

At USB2 speeds I wasn't going to wait a week to copy 4 legacy EHD's to the Hopper just so I could reboot and copy to the larger EHD. So I did it old school. Brought up Ubuntu Linux, took the drives out of the their enclosures and hooked them up to the SATA bus and copied the programs from the DishArc folders in each drive to the new drive. Got about 90MB/s using the Nautilus file manager.

I've also found that trying to copy or move more than 4 - 5 programs at a time to be problematic.

• Love
Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
I've also found that trying to copy or move more than 4 - 5 programs at a time to be problematic.

How distressing. What happened? You were using Gnome or command line? I am guessing Gnome... Does Ubuntu preserve the file ownership of the original files?

TheKrell, I took bookworm370's comment to be in reference to using the Hopper to move 4-5 Program Events at a time. I've never had an issue moving large number of Program Events between EHDs when using Ubuntu or other Link flavor.

Reactions: TheKrell
Gnome is the GUI so yes, I just used the standard Gnome desktop. The latest version of Ubuntu uses Nautilus as it's file manager. You just get root access (they turned it off but not hard to turn it back on), find the 2 partitions you want to copy from and to and just drag and drop. It copies all the attributes. The biggest trick is to get SU Root access as the Hopper sets the owner of the EHD as 'root'.

SU into root, launch Nautilus and drag and drop. With the wonky naming conventions, it helps to keep a notepad around as they use random characters for the partition names. It's pretty easy to figure out which is the smallest EHD to the largest as the smallest will have an sda1-~3 partitions while the larger one will have 13 partitions. And start with sdbx,. But once you open the partition you loose which partition you opened and just see the DishArc folder and the random partition name. So you need to keep track of which one is the source and target as both windows will just say 500GB Volume. But when you start, it's rather simple. The one that's empty is obviously your target and the one with lots of files is your source. It's if you want to either add another file or copy less than one for one that it gets tricky.

I had a very old EHD from my 722 that had 512GB partitions, so everything wouldn't fit into the new 500GB partition structure, so I had to select enough to fit in the target and then switch to a new empty one to copy over the rest. The other EHD's were formatted under the H3 followed the convention.

Reactions: TheKrell
I had a very old EHD from my 722 that had 512GB partitions, so everything wouldn't fit into the new 500GB partition structure, so I had to select enough to fit in the target and then switch to a new empty one to copy over the rest.

Oh darn. All my 1.6TB disks were formatted on either a 722 or 612, so I will have to deal with that wrinkle. You didn't detail what caused you to transfer only 4 or 5 program folders at a time.

Ah... My sole remaining 1.5TB drive is off my MBR 612. I already transferred my 722 EHD programs the hard way.