EHD with recordings from ViP 722K on Hopper 3 not supported anymore?

I try the other EHD again, and still nothing. I can hear and feel the drive being accessed for a few minutes and then just the steady vibration of a spinning disk. Both of these are exactly the same 2TB Hitachi 3.5 inch drives.
Did you try a "hit" as I described above in post 13?

Reactions: charlesrshell
This is what I am going to try next. I have another unused 2TB drive that I will put in the external enclosure that I know works (I copied all 85 recordings onto the Hopper without issue). I will connect it to the Hopper and format it. I will connect the 400+ recordings drive to my 722 and move a few back onto the receiver. Then I will take the empty Hopper formatted drive and move the recordings from the 722 onto it. Then hook that back up to the Hopper and see what happens.

This is what I am going to try next. I have another unused 2TB drive that I will put in the external enclosure that I know works (I copied all 85 recordings onto the Hopper without issue). I will connect it to the Hopper and format it. I will connect the 400+ recordings drive to my 722 and move a few back onto the receiver. Then I will take the empty Hopper formatted drive and move the recordings from the 722 onto it. Then hook that back up to the Hopper and see what happens.
It may take a while with so many recordings but it's certainly worth the try. A word of caution, do not try to transfer too many at a time. It will cause chaos.

It may take a while with so many recordings but it's certainly worth the try. A word of caution, do not try to transfer too many at a time. It will cause chaos.
Success! But, it's a very laborious and time-consuming process. I tried with just 10 recordings. It took me two tries however because when you restore the recordings to the 722 they are protected. If you don't unprotect before moving them to the empty drive, they can't be played or moved to the Hopper. And you can only unprotect the recordings on the 722, one at a time! So yeah, it will take quite a while, but I am hoping that if I move 100 to 200 off of the drive, and try again, it may show up on the Hopper with the remaining recordings.

Success! But, it's a very laborious and time-consuming process. I tried with just 10 recordings. It took me two tries however because when you restore the recordings to the 722 they are protected. If you don't unprotect before moving them to the empty drive, they can't be played or moved to the Hopper. And you can only unprotect the recordings on the 722, one at a time! So yeah, it will take quite a while, but I am hoping that if I move 100 to 200 off of the drive, and try again, it may show up on the Hopper with the remaining recordings.
On the 722 in the recordings screen, there is an “Edit” button. In that screen, you can select multiple items, and one of the options is to “Unprotect”. You may have to scroll down the options to find it.

In this way you can “Unprotect” en mass.

On the 722 in the recordings screen, there is an “Edit” button. In that screen, you can select multiple items, and one of the options is to “Unprotect”. You may have to scroll down the options to find it.

In this way you can “Unprotect” en mass.
Thank you, that will save a large part of the manual effort!

As I slowly move the recordings from my 722 EHD to my Hopper, I don't see any indicator of the number of recordings either on the Hopper or EHD? Is that not available anywhere? What a stupid dumbing down of the UI! The VIPs not only told you how many GB were used and available, but also an estimate of how many HD and SD movies could still be recorded. I've been a software engineer and engineering director for over 40 years, and if a product manager came to me with these UI changes, I would have fired them.

As I slowly move the recordings from my 722 EHD to my Hopper, I don't see any indicator of the number of recordings either on the Hopper or EHD? Is that not available anywhere? What a stupid dumbing down of the UI! The VIPs not only told you how many GB were used and available, but also an estimate of how many HD and SD movies could still be recorded. I've been a software engineer and engineering director for over 40 years, and if a product manager came to me with these UI changes, I would have fired them.
I am also in the bi, so I might be inclined to agree with. But remember, Dish has always for raw functionality first and user friendliness or finesse second (or third).

I am also in the bi, so I might be inclined to agree with. But remember, Dish has always for raw functionality first and user friendliness or finesse second (or third).
Yeah, but there was nothing wrong with the VIP receiver's UI, and it provided more information than the Hopper. They must have hired a bunch of cell phone/tablet UI developers for the Hopper software. That's the only thing that makes sense for this nonsense. Kind of like Microsoft with Windows 8, ignoring that users use a mouse, but at least they fixed all that in Windows 10.

Yeah, but there was nothing wrong with the VIP receiver's UI, and it provided more information than the Hopper. They must have hired a bunch of cell phone/tablet UI developers for the Hopper software. That's the only thing that makes sense for this nonsense. Kind of like Microsoft with Windows 8, ignoring that users use a mouse, but at least they fixed all that in Windows 10.
Yes, the current VIP UI is adequate, but it didn’t start out that way when the same functionality was first rolled out on the VIPs. It was just as bad then as the Hooper is now. It was only after a couple of years went by, and much complaining, did it evolve to what it is now. Just wait a couple of years and maybe it will improve.

Yes, the current VIP UI is adequate, but it didn’t start out that way when the same functionality was first rolled out on the VIPs. It was just as bad then as the Hooper is now. It was only after a couple of years went by, and much complaining, did it evolve to what it is now. Just wait a couple of years and maybe it will improve.
One can hope! But let's face it, the Hopper system, even the 3, is not new anymore and is already several years old. It's not clear that Dish actually listens to customer suggestions and complaints.

And what's worse is the capacity remaining is not accurate either as the real used capacity is higher than what it shows. You can tell the remaining capacity when you hit options, highlight videos and then click transfer and choose a drive and it will show before confirming the transfer. The only place it shows # of recordings is either in a folder or on the title of the recording. Not sure if what this person said is correct or not when it came to the size limits of HDD's:

One can hope! But let's face it, the Hopper system, even the 3, is not new anymore and is already several years old. It's not clear that Dish actually listens to customer suggestions and complaints.
The horrible trend toward a dumbed-down tiled, picture-focused UI has been going on for over a decade. Computer OS, websites, set-top boxes, etc. I can only assume that the developers got lazy or cheap and decided that a single cell phone/tablet UI was good for everything. I hate looking for titles in any of the streaming services with every large tile with its own graphic and font making it hard to scan through. Give me a damn sortable list. Picture books are for illiterates.

Late to the party, but I would recommend Teracopy if the process can be done in Windows. That manages large file transfers roughly a bazillion times better than File Explorer can.

Reactions: Almighty1
Ext3 file system if memory serves.
Yes, it is the Linux file system. Trying to copy recordings between drives, even from an actual Linux system is problematic. I tried many years ago and had no luck. Instead, I purchased one of these hard drive duplicators (Amazon product ASIN B019Y4JE22
View: https://www.amazon.com/10Gbps-Standalone-Duplicator-Dock-SATA/dp/B019Y4JE22) to make backup disks of my saved recordings. Works like a charm, but you need to use the same size drives, no good if you want to move everything to a larger drive. I am not done transferring all my 722 recordings to a larger EHD on the Hopper, I'm but getting close. I am going to start another thread when done, because in all honesty, the Hopper's support for external drives is very problematic when it comes to moving recordings between them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts