Ehd

ashutto20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
United States
How much does an EHD cost...if I wanted to purchase one what steps do I need to take...are there any additional fees with an ehd???

How much does an EHD cost...if I wanted to purchase one what steps do I need to take...are there any additional fees with an ehd???

The cost of the EHD depends on what size/brand that you buy. Once you get a compatible EHD, all you need to do is connect it to your receiver, and follow the on screen prompt (it will be formatted). On a 211/211k/411, there is a one time $40 fee to activate EHD services, but no monthly fee. There is no up front charge or monthly fee on the 612/622/722/722k/922 to use an EHD. Here is a link for you

Expanding DVR Storage

The Archival EHD feature is now FREE of charge. Just plug it in, and it should be good to go.

You may use any SINGLE disk (not the ones that have TWO HDD's in those thick/wide/fat encasements ) EXTERNAL HDD up to 2TB that have at least a USB 2.0 port and it MUST have its own EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY.

While almost any and HDD will do, Dish (and TiVo and many cable companies) officially recommend the Western Digital My DVR Expander (the latest version, PLEASE) for those who are not technically inclined to figure out which of the countless HDD's out there to use, as it meets all of their requirements and both Dish and TiVo even provide their logs for WD to use on the package. However, if you feel comfortable with your techie knowledge, you don't have to be limited to only the My DVR Expander. I believe the My DVR Expander is currently OUT OF STOCK almost everywhere and the few I have seen for sale are obscenely overpriced. This is no doubt due to the flooding in Thailand, I believe,

It is recommended by Dish that you use major, well know, brands of HDD (Western Digital, Seagate, etc.). Dish reports that some of the "off brand" super duper cheap HDD's do encounter problems (although I'm sure there are a few happy cheapo HDD users out there).

Unless others here have suggestions, you might consider waiting until some time in March to purchase the external HDD as that is what the tech press seems to feel that prices for them will return close to pre-flood prices.

Last edited:
It is recommended by Dish that you use major, well know, brands of HDD (Western Digital, Seagate, etc.). Dish reports that some of the "off brand" super duper cheap HDD's do encounter problems (although I'm sure there are a few happy cheapo HDD users out there).

Can you recommend a bad quality cheap brand? It's been a while since I bought a Fujitsu just to name an example.

I bought 2 WD Elements 2TB on Black Friday 2010 from Target for $70 each, and a 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk from Office Max last Black friday for $75. I like the WD better.

Thailand. Flood. Supply shortage. Basic economics.

Moral: don't put such a large amount of
capacity in any one spot.

DishSubLA said:
Well, that's depressing! I may have to buy a new internal for another project of mine, and I sure as heck may need it before Q4 2012.

Yes but even at $129.00 for 2T it is sure a heck of a lot cheaper than the 20 meg drive I bought for my Zenith 8086 in 1990. I still have it and the pc both work...drive cost $200.00.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys