EI Exclusive to D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The second is that if your parents can't afford it, what about providing it to them as a gift from you and your brothers and/or sisters? Just a suggestion.

This is exactly what I was going to say , Merry Christmas or Happy Anniversary !!! :) :)

Jimbo

Yep, here we go again. Just like when they monoplized the ST package. The price of that skyrocketed so bad that many people have dropped it. I used to have ST, MLB and CI. Now, I am down to MLB and CI. If there are any outragious price increases in MLB I will be down to CI, only. Hope someone steps in and stops it from happening.

I agree with Shady B, I don't think that the EI package will have the same appeal as the ST does.
I have considered the package , but always decided thatI don'twatch enough baseball any more to justify it, I watch my Tigers and would like to see the Red Sox, but thats about it.

If the price IS $ 150 for me to see the Red Sox I will continue to NOT get the package.

Jimbo

Just my prayers that they will be....someone on AVSForums was saying the other day that he suspected some more would be but with 162 games being played with each team, there would still be a large amount NOT in HD....damn, let me find the link

...I have considered the package , but always decided thatI don'twatch enough baseball any more to justify it, I watch my Tigers and would like to see the Red Sox, but thats about it...
Jimbo

I've had EI for the past 2 years. I've enjoyed it. At first, I thought I wouldn't watch alot of the games, but what I've found out is that I'll tune in based upon a pitching matchup or just because I want to see a particular team or player that night.

With that said...

--The Milwaukee Brewers announcers keep the game light-hearted. It always seems like the Brewer's fans are taking in some type of promotion

--Vin Scully, the "VOICE" of the Dodgers is incredible to listen to. He paints a picture and give backgrounds information so seemlessly. He is a gem not to be missed.

--Rivalries. Its nice to see what your division foes are doing. Being in Detroit, and finally having something to cheer for last year, it was fun to watch White Sox and Twins games to see how the competition was faring.

--The Watch a Few Innings Factor. I find with EI, I'll watch a few innings of several games as opposed to a whole game.

I have the NFL ST, MLB EI and NHL CI. I doubt I'll renew NHL CI next season. I love my Red Wings and to be honest, am to the point, they are all I want to watch. The NFL ST is always welcome in my home. I just wish the cost wouldn't keep spiriling up.

A couple of thoughts. First of all, MLB will set the cost so it shouldn't go up much -- if it does. The second is that if your parents can't afford it, what about providing it to them as a gift from you and your brothers and/or sisters? Just a suggestion.

I hope you are right.

It's just me, but I'm still probably going to get it for them.

The question is how much money are they going to be willing to lose?

To break even, not counting overhead or promotion, they need 500,000 subscribers paying $200 a year. Including cable, there are only 750,000 EI subs now, so D* would need an insane conversion rate.

And then there's the issue of anti-trust. I, personally, will be leaving D* because of tree issues, but would stay with D* if it were an option, just to get EI. But I'm going to be locked out.

Congress is already looking at the NFL on this issue, and the NFL doesn't have an Anti-trust exemption. Baseball is really risking a great deal, while D* seems likely to lose as much or more money then they have on ST.

I don't see how this makes sense for either party, long term.

Last edited:
And that doesn't count the money for lawyers if the feds do go after their anti-trust. MLB isn't going to let D* have a free ride if that happens.

Last year we had quite a few Marlin and Devil Ray games locally, on 96, in HD.

How much does it cost for teams to put their games in HD?

I figured most of the rich teams would do it but if it cost a lot, I doubted a lot of the games on the whole would be in HD this year

To break even, not counting overhead or promotion, they need 500,000 subscribers paying $200 a year. Including cable, there are only 750,000 EI subs now, so D* would need an insane conversion rate.

And then there's the issue of anti-trust. I, personally, will be leaving D* because of tree issues, but would stay with D* if it were an option, just to get EI. But I'm going to be locked out.

Congress is already looking at the NFL on this issue, and the NFL doesn't have an Anti-trust exemption. Baseball is really risking a great deal, while D* seems likely to lose as much or more money then they have on ST.

One factor in the equation is how many people will switch to D* because of this package. That will certainly change the numbers. If a great deal of the games are HD, more people may be willing to watch it. Also, some of those same people may add CI, HBO, and other add-ons which will make this more economically viable.

Agreed. The amount of games in HD in the near future will be a huge factor as to how many people sign up...maybe not this year but the next 1-2 years

I agree. this is great. I hope D gets exclusive rights to all the sports. I tried out Dish and glad I only tried it out. Congrats D!

How much does it cost for teams to put their games in HD?

I figured most of the rich teams would do it but if it cost a lot, I doubted a lot of the games on the whole would be in HD this year

Suggestion, use the money to cut the trees back so you can get the programming you want. :up

I agree. this is great. I hope D gets exclusive rights to all the sports. I tried out Dish and glad I only tried it out. Congrats D!

No, you don't, not really. If they do, then they will be able to raise the prices to whatever that they want. Market forces are the only thing that will keep the prices low.

I'm dead set against this and I intend to email my federal reps to press them to yank MLB's anti trust if this happens.:mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)