EI on D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The one thing that Cable has that D* doesn't is the ota feeds. Any while that sucks pretty bad, I can't wait to see the CSN Philly, 4SD, and Canada HD feeds.

Let's not go overboard. InDemand (cable's version of EI) only offers one or two OTA feeds that D* doesn't cuurently offer, mainly WKYC out of Cleveland, and I think a feed out of Milwaukee. But let's face it, this past week we were able to see over 60 games in HD, and that's something that cable just can't compete with. I am very encouraged to learn that D* is working on adding more OTA feeds to the package as I always thought that this was a negative, especially considering that their NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice packages include OTA feeds when necessary. If it is an "uplink" problem that is causing them not to carry the MLBEI OTA signals, then how are they able to provide the OTA signals for the other sports packages? I doubt it is an uplink problem, but rather a carriage issue that they may need to work out with each OTA provider. Last season they managed to show Yankees games on WWOR, which was great to see. Perhaps they were able to reach a carriage agreement with WWOR, or perhaps through the Yankees, which produces games for both YES and WWOR. Also, WWOR is owned and operated by FOX, and last season D* was in control by FOX, so maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows? But I am absolutely certain that the slight advantage cable may have in a few OTA broadcasts is certainly not worth it when you actually compare the two packages side by side. And, oh, did I forget to mention how great the dual feeds have been (something else cable does not have and will not have any time soon!)?

Let's not go overboard. InDemand (cable's version of EI) only offers one or two OTA feeds that D* doesn't cuurently offer, mainly WKYC out of Cleveland, and I think a feed out of Milwaukee. But let's face it, this past week we were able to see over 60 games in HD, and that's something that cable just can't compete with. I am very encouraged to learn that D* is working on adding more OTA feeds to the package as I always thought that this was a negative, especially considering that their NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice packages include OTA feeds when necessary. If it is an "uplink" problem that is causing them not to carry the MLBEI OTA signals, then how are they able to provide the OTA signals for the other sports packages? I doubt it is an uplink problem, but rather a carriage issue that they may need to work out with each OTA provider. Last season they managed to show Yankees games on WWOR, which was great to see. Perhaps they were able to reach a carriage agreement with WWOR, or perhaps through the Yankees, which produces games for both YES and WWOR. Also, WWOR is owned and operated by FOX, and last season D* was in control by FOX, so maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows? But I am absolutely certain that the slight advantage cable may have in a few OTA broadcasts is certainly not worth it when you actually compare the two packages side by side. And, oh, did I forget to mention how great the dual feeds have been (something else cable does not have and will not have any time soon!)?

Oh I whole heartedly agree with everything you said and have had EI since 1996. The package is vastly improved and continues to get better especially with the addition of 4SD HD feeds and more soon to follow. It's just a drag that Saturday and Sunday are hampered by the Fox exclusive window and many games being on ota. That's the only reason I still have my MLB.TV subscription. And having dual feeds is unbelievable. I love to listen to all different announcers and get different perspectives on teams and the more HD the better.

Oh I whole heartedly agree with everything you said and have had EI since 1996. The package is vastly improved and continues to get better especially with the addition of 4SD HD feeds and more soon to follow. It's just a drag that Saturday and Sunday are hampered by the Fox exclusive window and many games being on ota. That's the only reason I still have my MLB.TV subscription. And having dual feeds is unbelievable. I love to listen to all different announcers and get different perspectives on teams and the more HD the better.

Yeah, I did forget the whole Saturday FOX thing. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that FOX should have an exclusive national window to all Saturday afternoon games! I can understand having exclusivity to games in which it broadcasts, but I don't understand why they should have national exclusivity to a game being played at 1PM EDT, that they are not broadcasting, just because they are broadcasting games at 3:55PM EDT. I'll bet the reason their time is "3:55" is because it is within the three hour window of 1PM and they can use that as a blackout excuse (ESPN starts at 8PM EDT on Sunday and any game that starts after 5PM EDT cannot be distributed on EI). I think that is pretty damn lame on the part of both FOX and MLB. I mean if they want exclusivity in the three hour time period between 4 and 7PM, so be it, but why prohibit baseball fans from seeing any games in the 1 to 4PM time slot? It just plain stinks.

I'm In

The free preview, combined with all the HD coverage of the games, hooked me in last night.

I logged onto my account and ordered before the $20 increase that went into effect today.

Even though i'm in the Phillies / Nationals / Orioles DMA (yeah, i'm really lucky in Delaware), it'll be nice to watch some of these games this summer.

I also like seeing the interactive Mix channel after reading about the tip last night to bring up the on-screen standings and stats. VERY cool feature.

OTA Update

A quick check of InDemand's cable schedule for MLBEI has revealed some changes from their original April schedule. I no longer see games broadcast by WKYC in Cleveland, the CW11 (WPIX) in New York, or any other OTA affiliate except for WPCH out of Atlanta, and it is probably the raw feed that D* has, without commercials. If this is true, then cable's value has decreased, because this was their only advantage, as slight as it was. D* still offers far more HD games, the Mix Channel, the Strike Zone Channel, and dual feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)