Electrical Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
Okay my Inlaws have just put in a pool. it was wired properly to code. the Dingus electrician says you have to have a ground fault breaker. While this is true for most water things like a tub for a pool it doesnt apply... why? because it is not only naturally grounded but the ground from it is bonded to the house. So with the ground wire connected you turn on the pump and the breaker blows instantly. why? well its groundign out... as you have to wire a pool that way. So this dingus wont replace it with a regular breaker and wont call to get it inspected... so... i need the NEC code for pool wiring.

Could someone point me in te right direction?

Oh and for the record if you unhook the ground from the pump to the pool (Not pump to house ground) it works just fine... as it should... but those 2 do have to be grounded together to avoid static buildup.

Might be a bad motor, with hot accidently connected to the case.

Such things can occur:(

This can be DANGEROUS. If the ground should fail for some reason just touching the water can KILL.

GFCIs can be a nuisance, but have saved lives!

Bob Haller said:
Might be a bad motor, with hot accidently connected to the case.

Such things can occur:(

This can be DANGEROUS. If the ground should fail for some reason just touching the water can KILL.

GFCIs can be a nuisance, but have saved lives!

No its not wired backwards.. I actually checke dthat first thing. But you cant use GFI on a bonded ground for a pool. Same issue for the heater... but we left the ground connected to it and just left the breaker turned off.

Its wired up to code... just using the wrong breakers. no biggie.

EDIT: Sorry badly informed

GFI is required! It is doing its job right now saving your life.

GFIs do not sense ground faults directly, so problem is not related to grounding.

GFIs measure current on "hot" and compare to current on "neutral". If there is a difference it means there is leakage to ground either from hot or neutral. This leakage may or may not be a shock hazard, but I don't want to be near the pool when you replace with a standard breaker.

GFIs are "not" more sensitive trip breakers and will hold load equally with a standard breaker.

To find the fault, disconnect load from breaker (hot & neut), use a sensitive ohm meter or megohm meter, measuring resistance from load leads to ground. You WILL find leakage. Disconnect one thing at a time until it it's narrowed down.

Dave
General class Electronic Tech
Master Electrician
EE

inwo said:
GFI is required! It is doing its job right now saving your life.

GFIs do not sense ground faults directly, so problem is not related to grounding.

GFIs measure current on "hot" and compare to current on "neutral". If there is a difference it means there is leakage to ground either from hot or neutral. This leakage may or may not be a shock hazard, but I don't want to be near the pool when you replace with a standard breaker.

GFIs are "not" more sensitive trip breakers and will hold load equally with a standard breaker.

To find the fault, disconnect load from breaker (hot & neut), use a sensitive ohm meter or megohm meter, measuring resistance from load leads to ground. You WILL find leakage. Disconnect one thing at a time until it it's narrowed down.

Dave
General class Electronic Tech
Master Electrician
EE

Assuming you are correct (And judging by your tag there I hope you are)

Why then when its wired Hot, Neut, Ground correctly will the breaker work and function. the pump runs (been running like this since thursday) without incident. BUT when you attach the ground wire from the pool directly to the pump (like it calls for) it immediately trips the breaker if on or when you try to flip the breaker on it instantly blows it?.. The pool itself passed inspection no problem.

So the pump is grounded right now. but when its grounded to the pool it blows the breaker.

Sounds like i was under the influence of bad info on what GFIs do.

Also keep in mind its been running for 4 days now.

EDIT: Sorry to edit but it isnt required by code.. I finally found the correct one but had to go to the library saturday to actually look through the 2005 code book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)