AZBOX Elite Network interface died ?

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
Help ! :)
It seems that the network interface on my Elite has died. I can't get it to work with any of several firmware versions, and on the status page, the MAC address is all ZERO's . Since the MAC address on these boxes is encoded on a small chip, I think it's dead. Other than that the Elite works fine.
Has anyone successfully used a USB wireless adaptor on the Elite? and if so, what brand and model ? Grateful, is what I'd be for a solution.

:)

Last edited:
Help ! :)
It seems that the network interface on my Elite has died. I can't get it to work with any of several firmware versions, and on the status page, the MAC address is all ZERO's . Since the MAC address on these boxes is encoded on a small chip, I think it's dead. Other than that the Elite works fine.
Has anyone successfully used a USB wireless adaptor on the Elite? and if so, what brand and model ? Grateful, is what I'd be for a solution.

That doesn't look good. :confused:
I was going to suggest putting a network packet sniffer on the LAN and see if it talks at all when you boot up, but I noticed over at the other forum you said that it doesn't even light up the hub. Did you try another cable? Perhaps the cable is bad??? I use one of those USB ethernet adapters (wired, not wireless) on one of my computers, but I think it needed drivers to function, and it's unlikely that the Azbox would have the drivers in there already, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try. There are probably some workarounds, but since you can't get access to get to a linux prompt, it seems like you wouldn't have any way to change anything other than pulling out the memory module that has the OS on it, and putting it into a linux computer, and that would really be a last resort.

But boy, I don't know how you're going to transfer channel data files, etc, without the network. You're going to have to start over from complete scratch with that big satellite list whenever you have a problem.

OUCH. I don't know what you can do. Hope the USB wireless thing works out.

Well, on the other forum came the suggestion of a RT2xxx chipset adaptor, since the Azbox uses an RT25xx chipset. I found a page of such adaptors , Hardware - Rt2x00Wiki and I'm going to try to find one locally, that I can easily return , if it doesn't work. I report back if I'm successful.

It's all built in, Tim. There's even a small chip , near the ethernet port, with a browned out center. I know on regular NIC cards, the MAC address is encoded on a small chip and attached to the board ( I've replaced several in my time, with "custom" MAC ID's ) . I suspect this one is smoked, but I don't have programming gear or surface mount soldering items these days. Hopefully, I'll find a Wireless usb solution, and further our knowledge on the subject.

It's all built in, Tim. There's even a small chip , near the ethernet port, with a browned out center. I know on regular NIC cards, the MAC address is encoded on a small chip and attached to the board ( I've replaced several in my time, with "custom" MAC ID's ) . I suspect this one is smoked, but I don't have programming gear or surface mount soldering items these days. Hopefully, I'll find a Wireless usb solution, and further our knowledge on the subject.

Hello brentb636. How did you fix the network problem. I assume that my ethernet port died after a storm a month ago. There's nothing but the green light. I also tried several cabels but no success. Anybody?

Hello brentb636. How did you fix the network problem. I assume that my ethernet port died after a storm a month ago. There's nothing but the green light. I also tried several cabels but no success. Anybody?

One solution would be to purchase the Wavefocus Wireless USB adapter for AzBox which would add the ability of your AzBox Elite to connect to your wireless network even with a non-functional ethernet port.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Actually I was looking for the product you mentioned. The best part is that you don't need to install any drivers (if this is true?). But how to be sure that will work on non original image/firmware?

TNX for responding

I never had any success getting it to work using wireless, so I sold my Elite to Iceberg . He doesn't use the networking anyway. Sorry not to be any help. I'm happier not having an Azbox these days. :)

Reading other forums on the same topic i discovered that the ethernet chip got burnd and can be replaced. I checked and I'm 99% sure that this is it. So i bought 2 pcs on ebay. And of course I have to find a computer surgeon. It's a Realtek RTL 8210CP chip.

It's a Realtek RTL 8210CP chip.

Hummm, mine is an 8201 CP? Type O?

But yeah, mine is fried too. Good luck finding someone to solder a new one on that board!

FYI, I contacted AZ and tried to get a new board for my Elite but got NO help from them as they stated they didn't have one available? So I guess that means they figure that the lifespan of one of these receivers is less than 3 years?? That's a shame too as I found the receipt for that Elite the other day and I paid $290 for it when I bought it!!

Anyway I've got an Ultra also so I just transfer the channel list from that to the Elite via USB flash drive and so far that has worked well enough. That and I've got two S9s also and I us them most of the time now.

Actually I was looking for the product you mentioned. The best part is that you don't need to install any drivers (if this is true?). But how to be sure that will work on non original image/firmware?

TNX for responding

Yes, this is correct. The reason you don't need to install any drivers is because the Wavefocus Wireless USB adapter uses the same driver as the one used by the wireless module that comes with the Premium HD or Premium HD+ models. As soon as you install the USB adapter, the wireless network option will be functional and you will be able to search and connect to your wireless network using the GUI just like if you were using the built-in wireless found in the Premium HD or Premium HD Plus models.

The adapter will work with all original Opensat firmware versions and will enable the Elite or Ultra to connect to wireless networks just like the Premium. It does not require a functional ethernet port to work so it's the easiest way to restore network connectivity if your ethernet port has failed. Can't guarantee if it will work with any non original firmware but it should if that firmware works with the wireless module found in the Premium HD or Premium HD +.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:
Hummm, mine is an 8201 CP? Type O?

But yeah, mine is fried too. Good luck finding someone to solder a new one on that board!

FYI, I contacted AZ and tried to get a new board for my Elite but got NO help from them as they stated they didn't have one available? So I guess that means they figure that the lifespan of one of these receivers is less than 3 years?? That's a shame too as I found the receipt for that Elite the other day and I paid $290 for it when I bought it!!

Anyway I've got an Ultra also so I just transfer the channel list from that to the Elite via USB flash drive and so far that has worked well enough. That and I've got two S9s also and I us them most of the time now.

I tried to contact the official AZ site, leaving a message a week ago without answer. I ask mysalf is this a serious company?
It's a 8201CP chip,of course I mistyped.
Well the networking is for me the most important feature. You probably know what I mean. Strats with a C, ends with a G.

Best regards.

Well the networking is for me the most important feature. You probably know what I mean. Strats with a C, ends with a G.

Best regards.

That being the case, you have few options. With the price of that USB network adapter @ $70 US shipped I'd expect it to be $90 to Europe, if they would even ship it there!

I've looked around on the internet and found where there is "suppose" to be several networking chipsets that can be made to work and some even explain how to install drivers as plugins for that hardware. Those USB adapters they mention can be had for around $20 US so it might be worth your while to try to make one of those work. Since mine isn't a priority and I refuse to pay that much for one I'll just cruise the internet from time to time until I find something that someone has made work without too much trouble. I missed that function at first but since I use the S9 receivers I have a bunch more than the AZs it's really not an issue for me any more.

A month ago we were having a conversation about this replacment of an ethernet chip. Let me just inform you that everything went good. I spend just $4.50 for two pieces (if this hapens again) from China, found a guy who did a replancemt and here we go.
Have a good time in North America.
Bye

A month ago we were having a conversation about this replacment of an ethernet chip. Let me just inform you that everything went good. I spend just $4.50 for two pieces (if this hapens again) from China, found a guy who did a replancemt and here we go.
Have a good time in North America.
Bye

Glad you got that sorted out. So what did it cost you to have that chip replaced? :confused:

hoy en dia hay algunos ploblema similares el mio es en la ultra, probé con el firmware 95308 y me arranco el mac pero solo por un rato pienso que es el chip que conecta con eternet como lo manifiesta el colega anterior es el que ocasiona el problema de coneccion de red

hoy en dia hay algunos ploblema similares el mio es en la ultra, probé con el firmware 95308 y me arranco el mac pero solo por un rato pienso que es el chip que conecta con eternet como lo manifiesta el colega anterior es el que ocasiona el problema de coneccion de red

Ah, sorry, but I don't do Spanish. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)