Elite Running Back vs. Elite QB in today's NFL

You need a great QB.

We've seen a lot of teams with great RB but QB questions that didn't go far (Barry Sanders' Lions, Adrian Peterson's Vikings other than when they had Favre)

BillD1984 said:
I agree it's not even close, BUT I now believe you need more than just a "servicable" RB to win the Super Bowl.

Just look at the Patriots (and I admittedly say this in hindsight). They won three SB's in four years with one of the greatest QB's in the history of the game. Since then: several near championships ('06, '07, '10 and '11) with the same HOF QB , but they weren't able to close the deal in any of those years. I now believe the difference was not having a "Mariano Rivera" RB to close out games. If they had Antowain Smith or (even better) clock killin' Corey Dillon in any of those years, IMO they win AT LEAST two more Super Bowls.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you need an Earl Campbell when you have a Tom Brady, but I do think you need to do better than BenJarvus Green-Ellis as your FEATURE back to close out games.

Yeah I agree, but those running backs more than often can be found outside the 1st round, let alone the top 10.

And I think they have that guy in BJGE, who is an UDFA, but don't use him when they should.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I agree it's not even close, BUT I now believe you need more than just a "servicable" RB to win the Super Bowl.

Just look at the Patriots (and I admittedly say this in hindsight). They won three SB's in four years with one of the greatest QB's in the history of the game. Since then: several near championships ('06, '07, '10 and '11) with the same HOF QB , but they weren't able to close the deal in any of those years. I now believe the difference was not having a "Mariano Rivera" RB to close out games. If they had Antowain Smith or (even better) clock killin' Corey Dillon in any of those years, IMO they win AT LEAST two more Super Bowls.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you need an Earl Campbell when you have a Tom Brady, but I do think you need to do better than BenJarvus Green-Ellis as your FEATURE back to close out games.

bill, even though the pats defense did step it up in the playoffs, if they have even a better defense they win that game.

And your sample size is ONE TEAM in how many years of Super Bowls?

So your ONE team means A RARE case..NOT THE NORM as your excitement is indicating.

If you ask ANY coach if a running game is needed to be successful...99.99% will say yes.

but you're considering the whole body of work. we're talking about today's NFL.

BillD1984 said:

Excellent point. Again, if ANYONE would agree about needing a very good/elite QB, it would be the guy that is a fan of the team that had the JaFatass debacle.

rey_1178 said:
but you're considering the whole body of work. we're talking about today's NFL.

It was just a response to HDs pretend homework assignment. Yes, in today's pass happy league, where literally everyone does a West Coast offense to REPLACE a great running game...the QB is THE most important part of the offense and the team.

If anything, the type of RB you draft/pick-up has changed...because of the west coast offense. Now you look for a RB that is a better than average pass catcher and blocker.

not only is a QB the most important position in the NFL, it is the most important position in all of sports.

And your sample size is ONE TEAM in how many years of Super Bowls?

So your ONE team means A RARE case..NOT THE NORM as your excitement is indicating.

If you ask ANY coach if a running game is needed to be successful...99.99% will say yes.

My original comments were based on someone who said that if he had the #1 pick, he'd pick a potentially elite RB (Trent Richardson) over a potentially elite QB (Andrew Luck).

Where do you stand? You are dancing, but not answering directly. By the sounds of it, you seem to be on the side of the Running Back. If I am wrong, just say so.

My original comments were based on someone who said that if he had the #1 pick, he'd pick a potentially elite RB (Trent Richardson) over a potentially elite QB (Andrew Luck).

Where do you stand? You are dancing, but not answering directly. By the sounds of it, you seem to be on the side of the Running Back. If I am wrong, just say so.

Never dance because the ONLY TIME...AGAIN...THE ONLY TIME I mentioned the word ELITE was talking about Edggerin James.... PERIOD.

THAT question of picking an elite ANYTHING was ever posed to me. I would take the QB...UNLESS, in the case of the Rams, I have one already.

NO dancing...just the USUAL reading comprehension and later knee jerk reaction from you... IF you had read my quotes... no spinoff thread would have needed to be opened.

Never dance because the ONLY TIME...AGAIN...THE ONLY TIME I mentioned the word ELITE was talking about Edggerin James.... PERIOD.

THAT question of picking an elite ANYTHING was ever posed to me. I would take the QB...UNLESS, in the case of the Rams, I have one already.

NO dancing...just the USUAL reading comprehension and later knee jerk reaction from you... IF you had read my quotes... no spinoff thread would have needed to be opened.

Quit overreacting. The "spinoff" thread wasn't created because of you. It was created because a separate topic was born in the Peyton Manning thread that I though deserved it's own thread.

Quit overreacting. The "spinoff" thread wasn't created because of you. It was created because a separate topic was born in the Peyton Manning thread that I though deserved it's own thread.

yes you're right. its a good topic and separate from the peyton thread. and you guys are doing just fine debating it.

To recap:

The Peyton Manning thread has spun off-topic when someone suggested that an NFL team "has to have a running back" to be successful when actually giving a take that the Colts should draft Trent Richardson instead of Andrew Luck.

To which I vehemently disagreed and provided examples on why an NFL team no longer needs an elite running back and that the potential for an elite QB is of much more value to a team's success.

To which Salsa (how predictable) disagreed.

What are your thoughts???

Really?!:rolleyes:

I never disagree... But I guess since NOW you backpeddling into what you ASSUMED I said... I will wait till you trip...again....:popcorn

rey_1178 said:
bill, even though the pats defense did step it up in the playoffs, if they have even a better defense they win that game.

If Welker makes THAT catch it's game over. :mad

If Welker makes THAT catch it's game over. :mad

there were definitely plays left on the field Hart. and i understand your disappointment but i rather be in your shoes right now. last time we went to the superbowl i was a kid. and if things don't turn around soon i may end up going to the grave without seeing the fins in the big game again lol!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts