Elliptical Dish + Clip-On Terk 44 Minus the D* service = ?

labdaddy

Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Hi all; new member here searching for an answer...did some looking around but couldn't find what I was looking for...probably an easy answer for the population here but this stuff isn't my "stuff". :)

I have a D* elliptical dish plus a Terk 44 clip-on antenna. I'm considering dropping the D* service and just relying on OTA HD/SD signals. Is there anything about my setup that, once I cancel my Sat. service, my OTA antenna won't be functional (e.g., cabling issue/circuitry/etc.)?

That's the main issue before I pull the plug, so to speak, on the Sat. service.

A couple other questions, though.

1) The setup uses a diplexer and splits the signal going into my D* receiver. If I unplug the sat coax from the receiver, I lose the OTA signal. Why is that?

2) What this is leading to is my ability to split the OTA signal for other purposes...e.g., one line direct to the TV's tuner, one to another TV (non-HD), one to a PC tuner...if just the OTA feed won't work in the receiver, I'm guessing it won't work in those other applications as well. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for being gentle with the newbie. ;) Or not. :D

Steve

1) The setup uses a diplexer and splits the signal going into my D* receiver. If I unplug the sat coax from the receiver, I lose the OTA signal. Why is that?

The two signals are being "merged" together to run all on one line AND I am assuming your DBS receiver is also what you are using as your ATSC tuner. When you remove the RG6 cable from the DBS receiver, you are removing both the incoming DBS and OTA signals. Once you have no more DBS service; just run your OTA RG6 as a dedicated line to whatever you will be using next; I assume your ATSC tuner in your TV.

P.S. You really should dump that Terk clip-on for a quality antenna. AND WELCOME to SatGuys

The two signals are being "merged" together to run all on one line AND I am assuming your DBS receiver is also what you are using as your ATSC tuner. When you remove the RG6 cable from the DBS receiver, you are removing both the incoming DBS and OTA signals. Once you have no more DBS service; just run your OTA RG6 as a dedicated line to whatever you will be using next; I assume your ATSC tuner in your TV.

P.S. You really should dump that Terk clip-on for a quality antenna. AND WELCOME to SatGuys

Questions are for my info, not questioning what you know...

I do understand that the signals are being merged, but aren't they "unmerged" at the diplexer? The diplexer has one coax in and two out: one of the two "outs" goes to the "Sat-In" and the other goes to the "Ant-In" on the receiver (and yes, the DBS receiver is what I am using for my ATSC tuner). Perhaps what you mean is to, rather than unplug the "Sat" coax of the diplexer, to remove the diplexer entirely and just run the coax into the "Ant-In" on the Sat/OTA box?

I'll be keeping the DBS/OTA receiver, as it was a pure purchase, not lease, so I was hoping to not have to run a new dedicated line for "it" (IOW, keep it as it is for my existing HDTV). That's the main issue.

Sorry if I'm a bit dense, as indicated, this stuff isn't my entirely my "thing".

Then, the secondary issues are running the signal to a 2nd tv (for SD) and a PC (for HD DVR).

I've heard of others with issues with the Terk, and perhaps there is 'better', but I receive OTA HD signals from 50ish miles away crystal clear (I'm 20+ miles west of Washington DC and pull in the Baltimore networks)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts