Elliptical Scaler Ring C-band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satcom1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Near Chicago
OK, all you Guru's in C-band, here is a question for ya!

I'm setting up a Primestar 84E C-band dish with the BSC-621 after finding Icebergs thread on topic.

I see that Sadoun is, maybe, going to offer a "Conical" scaler ring.

Here is a pic of Primestar LNB scaler ring for Ku-Band (on right). Also a pic of proposed "Conical" ring (on left).

Should not this new ring have similar geometery? Only scaled up for C-band.

Attachments

• conical-scalar-ring.jpg
    conical-scalar-ring.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 222
  • EllipticalScalerRing.jpg
    EllipticalScalerRing.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 245
The reason the scaler ring on the primestars Ku feedhorn is shaped like that is it's an oval dish that's very wide and not so tall. That means the F/D ratio effectively changes as you move around the outer edge of the dish. That is it has a different F/D horizontally than it does vertically and in order to properly illuminate it the scaler ring must be design this way as well. So, even the conical scaler ring will not properly illuminate the primestar dish. In fact, in this case, I'm not sure that it will be much better than the flat scaler ring. You can try it and see but in my opinion the conical scaler ring will just be a waste of money for this application and will show little or no benefit. The odd shape of the dish and the fact it needs a special shaped scaler to properly illuminate it combined with the fact that it's way too small for C band will make the scaler ring moot.

and unless some thing has changed at Sadoun they do not and are not going to have a conical scalar ring. I have been trying to buy one for about 8 month with no luck. and I have tried almost everyone.
I would like to find one though.....

Practically, it's a waste of time and resources.

I agree with Anole. C-band will be a waste on that dish. many have come before us, that have tried and failed. 1.2m is the absolute minumum for c-band with our satellites here in N/A.

But I can understand the willingness to try. By all means, have at it. :D

BTW I had that dish trained for Ku...you will have to train it for C.

LOL

( for those of you that have no idea what I am speaking about, Satcom was in my neck of the woods recently and I fixed him up with a 84e. :D)

( for those of you that have no idea what I am speaking about, Satcom was in my neck of the woods recently and I fixed him up with a 84e. )

he should have stopped in i would have given him one of my 1 m primestars

i have several ku already setup but my main interest is c-band :)

A proper scalar ring for the 1.2m Offset dish would be one in between the two you showed above. Basically morph the one on the left to look slightly like the one on the right and you got an optimized version for the 1.2m.

I Meter Priimstar Dish

he should have stopped in i would have given him one of my 1 m primestars

i have several ku already setup but my main interest is c-band :)

Be passing by your place in September. Take you up on that offer.

Actually, I am surprised you guys never saw Iceberg's post on Primestar 84E on C-Band.
It did work on a couple of strong transponders on 121. It was just an experiment but it peaked my interest.

I took Stogie's suggestion and ran an ad in Craig's list and came up with a 10' Mesh and this 84e. I put the 84e that he gave me up at my place in Mississippi.

Quote - Iceberg's post

"As for pics for the C-Band, well this was a quick jerry rig job a week or so ago and the signals are from the Pansat 1500 which is jumpy"
Attached Thumbnails

Maybe not a complete waste of time Lizard.

Last edited:
Corrado,

Thanks, that's the spirit that drives me.

If I only get two C band channels, that's great, it's two more then I had before.

There's alot of people that like to pooh pooh any idea, it's a good thing Edison had back bone or we would still be in the dark.

For anyone interested, see the original thread about his "oval Primestar", by GoalieBob99.

Now, on to other matters:
Satcom said:
Anole said:
Technically, yes.
Practically, it's a waste of time and resources.
A custom scalar for such a tiny dish would be far too expensive to consider.
As to performance enhancement, how good could it even get?
A small BUD, or one of the 6' Fortec (or 6' Prodelin) dishes would be free-to-cheap, and perform much better.
So, yes, it's a waste of time & resources.

Also, please see the setup procedure Iceberg used to find signals.
Definitely in the eXperimental class, and not at all end-user-friendly.

Doesn't mean I'm against silly experiments.
I've done some, and have plans for even crazier stuff. - :up
Makes for great bragging rights. - :cool:
Doesn't mean I won't label it as: "Do not try this at home.", or "Working but not practical." - :D

Now I suppose I'll have to get that old superdish out of the shed and try that with C band. :rolleyes: I don't want to feel left out.

I would like to see it it could get White Springs or KCSG.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)