Emergency Alert System

After the second plane hit, no EAS was necessary. EVERY CHANNEL ON THE PLANET switched to their news or sister channel with the news. I remember posting all the channels that went to news and the final total was 55 national cable channels that were showing news from all over including CBC, BBC and all the local cable and broadcast news. 9/11 is a poor example of the need for EAS.

As the the "either it works or it doesn't so no tests are needed" post. Really? Wouldn't it be nice to know if it's NOT working before the real emergency?

Look I get super annoyed about the EAS crap on my screen too. But I get annoyed at all the WEATHER-related crap on the screen especially when the "it's going to rain" warnings are flashing on my screen. But there is a real need for EAS. My brother is still breathing because of EAS when a train derailed a half mile from his house and was spewing toxic chemicals. He cleared out when the alert flashed on the screen with the details of what he noise was he heard 3 minutes before. He was watching TBS on cable. So EAS is needed. Just not for "it's going to rain" warnings.

We check the siren, lights etc. of our emergency vehicles every day. At the dispatch center we test the Statewide Emergency channel everyday. No, it doesn't mean it will work the next time, but nothing assures that.

Look I get super annoyed about the EAS crap on my screen too. But I get annoyed at all the WEATHER-related crap on the screen especially when the "it's going to rain" warnings are flashing on my screen. But there is a real need for EAS.
Yep.

After the second plane hit, no EAS was necessary. EVERY CHANNEL ON THE PLANET switched to their news or sister channel with the news.
Not true actually... My wife was home with our 2-year old and ~6 months pregnant with our second. The TV was on the local PBS and she was oblivious to anything going on until I called her.