Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dishman Dan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
N/A
I admit that I am a little slow at catching on to things sometimes! :eek:

I was on "The List" checking out available channels and it hit me...

Why???...

...Why does "The List" have encrypted channels listed??? :confused:

The headings I look at read "Free to Air Ku Band" and "Free to Air C Band".

There are channels that say Power Vu and other types of encryption which

means that they are not FTA! Are some of the transponders that are listed

with encrypted channels just there for aiming purposes??? ;)

I admit that I am a little slow at catching on to things sometimes! :eek:

I was on "The List" checking out available channels and it hit me...

Why???...

...Why does "The List" have encrypted channels listed??? :confused:

The headings I look at read "Free to Air Ku Band" and "Free to Air C Band".

There are channels that say Power Vu and other types of encryption which

means that they are not FTA! Are some of the transponders that are listed

with encrypted channels just there for aiming purposes??? ;)

For one reason or another, channels that are encrypted are sometimes opened up. Sometimes they will stay in the clear for awhile, other times they will not be open that long. Some channels are run in fixed key mode and can be received. An example of that is a channel that comes in even though there is a $ sign beside it. The list gets updated regularly, that said I don't think it is updated every second of every day. However it will be updated In due time and channels that are not in the clear will be either removed or noted as not available at the moment. Have a great day!

I don't

I am not sure why it would even matter as to what channels are listed regardless if they are encrypted or not.

Personally I find "The list" very useful by listing both encrypted channels and FTA channels. When setting up a new dish I can see what channels are on a given satellite and then decide if enough FTA channels are on that sat to make it worth while. Or I can see what encrypted channels are there and decide to take a chance on Wild Feeds or Open Channels that sometimes happens. Sometimes the encrypted channels audio is open all the time. You might not have video but have audio and that is better than nothing at all...

That's just me...regardless, I am just glad people take the time to make and update "The List" as it sure makes life easier knowing what's up there!

Peace

It is definitely useful to include both encrypted and FTA AND signals of other than DVB format, such as DSS, DCII and DN turbo modes. However my big "why" with respect to this "THE LIST" thing, is what good is a list if the policy is not to include anything not found on Lyngsat, ie the good stuff, in several cases doesn't even include any active conus transponders on sats which currently or often have FTA. The list isn't as up to date as Lyngsat, isn't as complete as Lyngsat, isn't as accurate as Lyngsat doesn't have info about the modulation type (ie DVB-S2) or video type (like 4.2.2 or mpeg4) and doesn't have the high interest gems that other private lists have.

I basically never use THELIST, because I don't find it at all useful. And it isn't because there is anything wrong with the list, it's just the policy for what doesn't go on it. Basically, it's fine to have a policy not to put high interest channels in public, but if that's the policy, then, if you're going to have a list, then make the list private, and put everything on it or don't bother even having a list. Because having a list with only a fraction of what is up there just doesn't make sense to me. Me, I prefer to use Lyngsat for most day to day things, and when looking for high interest things, I go to private lists on which people post everything.

Last edited:
as noted above a couple reasons are
-to aim a dish...some sats have very little channels in the clear or in some cases none. So they are posted. Also if you are aiming a dish at say 105W there may be a weaker TP on there. If you aim at just the stronger transponder the weaker one may not show up on a scan.
-stuff does go in the clear or is right now. Example is a transponder on 97W. It shows as $ but almost all the channels are in the clear. A year or so ago when 3ABN was on 101W it actually had a $ in front of it for some reason but obviously was in the clear

It is definitely useful to include both encrypted and FTA AND signals of other than DVB format, such as DSS, DCII and DN turbo modes.
This is for DVB receivers to be able to pick it up. No sense in posting other formats if you can't pick them up. Remember thelist is to help the newbie get their system going and also helps the advanced person too.

However my big "why" with respect to this "THE LIST" thing, is what good is a list if the policy is not to include anything not found on Lyngsat, ie the good stuff, in several cases doesn't even include any active conus transponders on sats which currently or often have FTA.
thelist is updated as frequently as myself and qwert can update it. We do accept lists from other folks who are willing enough to send them to us. Pretty much any DVB that is there is here.

The list isn't as up to date as Lyngsat, isn't as complete as Lyngsat, isn't as accurate as Lyngsat doesn't have info about the modulation type (ie DVB-S2) or video type (like 4.2.2 or mpeg4) and doesn't have the high interest gems that other private lists have.
What is your issue? Seriously its not like we're forcing anyone to use any list out there but to say above is just wrong. Lyngsat takes info from folks who submit them....right? (rhetorical question). We've always offered for anyone to send us a channelmaster list so it can be updated and sometimes folks oblige. But as for DVB-S2 until a receiver can work with a editing program that thelist can easily get dumped into that is going to be hard to figure that out. I know qwert is working on something to allow folks to manually enter the info. 4:2:2 items are listed as 4:2:2

I basically never use THELIST, because I don't find it at all useful. And it isn't because there is anything wrong with the list, it's just the policy for what doesn't go on it.
Isnt that like saying to a girl "I dont want to date you because your ugly...well you're not that ugly but this other girl is better than you"

Most folks find it very useful

Basically, it's fine to have a policy not to put high interest channels in public, but if that's the policy, then, if you're going to have a list, then make the list private, and put everything on it or don't bother even having a list. Because having a list with only a fraction of what is up there just doesn't make sense to me.
That makes no sense whatsoever. How do you know there isnt a private list? The public list is out there again for folks to see what is out there up 24/7. If any "high interest channels" are out there as you post, they are known. But some folks prefer not to post the info because they may go encrypted.

I apologize to the OP for getting off track but he asked a simple question and then BJ decided to go on his "Lyngsat is better" rant so I decided to respond to that

Why

You know the old saying, some people like something and others don't.

As I mentioned I love "The List" and often times have seen it to show channels not found else where.

It's very simple and only includes the necessary information for any Newbie...

It would be my suggestion and please don't take it as a dig. My suggestion is if you don't like "The List" then make your own and include everything you like. If you don't use it anyway then you are wasting your time even commenting on the matter. Seriously why bother? If you don't use it, then no reason to knock it.

A lot of efforts has been put into "The List" and personally I appreciate the time and work done by others. It's very useful as it is and has helped me locate channels never shown on Lyngsat several times.

It would be my suggestion and please don't take it as a dig. My suggestion is if you don't like "The List" then make your own and include everything you like. If you don't use it anyway then you are wasting your time even commenting on the matter. Seriously why bother? If you don't use it, then no reason to knock it.

A lot of efforts has been put into "The List" and personally I appreciate the time and work done by others. It's very useful as it is and has helped me locate channels never shown on Lyngsat several times.

:up:up

I do refer to the list quite often to see what is available on FTA channels. A big thanks to who keeps it up to date! I just could not quite get why the other channels were there on a FTA list. When I show people what is available for free on the list they also see the encrypted channels and want to receive them too! For free! :rolleyes:

When I go to buy my next receiver I can use the list (FTA and encrypted) to show the wife all what is up there and I am sure I would get approval! :D Man will I be in the doghouse when she finds out that not all the channels are in the clear! :eek:

I do appreciate the List very much, good work Ice and qwerty:up:up

Can it also display the FEC? Not all receivers accept "Auto" esp. for DVB S2 signal.

I find both "The List" and Lyngsat very helpful in seeking out new birds.
And why does Ironsides always post everything This big???? :rant:

its useful

I think the list serves its purpose, new users can't always decipher lyngsat.
And eurosport>maybe ironsides eyes need larger print. It DOES stand out, eh? Helps my tired eyes late at night.

lol

:)
I find both "The List" and Lyngsat very helpful in seeking out new birds.
And why does Ironsides always post everything This big???? :rant:

I post with a larger font because I can't see. If it bothers you, I apologize for not being able to see as well as you do. Not being able to see well is just one of my many health issues. :confused: I think I have mentioned that on several of my posts in the past...;)

Did I miss something? I thought the thread was concerning "The List"? I didn't realize it had become "The Why" thread...It would be my question Why would you post a question like that on an open forum and not use a PM? I am pretty sure that can be answered with one or two words...Being we can just ask "why" about anything besides the topic...I'd like to ask that?
:rant:

That being said, getting back on topic, I compaired "The List" to a couple of others and it shows several channels not mentioned. That is a neat feature...

After the responses, I had decided not to respond further, but I wanted to make 2 things clear about my intent. First of all, I wanted to make it clear that I think QWERTY did a fine job creating the list. I'm pretty sure that I communicated to him when he started the effort that it was a difficult job to include everything that people think are important, while keeping out info that other people don't want to be public. My "issue" is not with the list, but with the decision process about what channels or transponders are put on the list.

And that leads to the second thing I wanted to make clear, and that is that my "issue", and the main reason I posted was NOT really related to whether I find the list useful or whether other people who have been around for a while might find the list useful. Ie I can understand that some people might find it useful to have a partial list of what is available which is not cluttered by tons of other things that may not be available. But my issue is with the value of the list to a newcomer or even people who have been around for a while but are looking for help trying to find a satellite, looking for transponders to lock that might help them figure out where they are, these people are always referred to THELIST, when I think it would be MUCH more helpful to refer them to Lyngsat. Ie, I have a hard time seeing people told that these are the only available channels/transponders when there are lots of other transponders and channels newcomers could be tuning to that would help them get started.

And no, I don't think that Lyngsat is the answer either. It is very lacking as well. It's format is often confusing to newcomers, and it misses a lot of channels or transponders and even sats that could be useful to newcomers too, but at least they TRY to include things. I just think that recommending THELIST to newcomers is counter productive. I see that my opinion isn't shared here, and that is OK. But I just needed to make one futile attempt to comment on a policy that I firmly believe to be less than helpful to those who need help.

more OT:

I used to post links to several lists, starting with FTA List for newbies, progressing through The List, and maybe ending with Lyngsat.
...and a few others thrown in for good measure...

Kinda depends on what a guy is looking for, how much experience he has, and what his frustration level is.
Much like short answers here on the forum, long verbose answers, or answers with links you have to read.
There's never just one that satisfies 'em all. ;)

PS: thanks to Qwert and Iceberg (and other contributors) for their updates to The List.

:)

I post with a larger font because I can't see. If it bothers you, I apologize for not being able to see as well as you do. ...
Ironsides, I apologize, for I did not know about your eyesight. The large type just reminded me of shouting like the all caps. I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else....now back on topic. :eek:

not to get even more OT but I use the Toolbar Buttons 0.6.0.8 extension for firefox and add the "enlarge" and "reduce" buttons to the toolbar to adjust text size

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)