End of 4DTV HBO-HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
> Powervu does away with all that. each encoder can from my understanding control it's own encryption from the site. No need for any tier bit fees to a control center.

I do not think that is correct

From my other post;

Before purchasing your IRD, please contact NHK Global Media Services and receive an "IRD Order Form." The IRD retailer will not sell you an IRD without this "IRD Order Form."

IRD purchases are handled by the below sales representatives of Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.

SO from reading this, SA does the same thing. The programmer must authorize the device, then you send the paper work to SA and they "activate" the box.
I'm not sure if programming providers can authorize receivers to decode their channels on their own or if they have to contact SA to do it.

I do know that you shouldn't have to contact SA directly with your IRD number to get it activated unless the broadcaster had an authorization website setup with SA like AFN does. You would give your IRD number to the programming provider and they would relay it to SA if they had to.

Motorola isn't going to be left out of the race. They will still use their DCII system, but it will be over DVB-S2 transport with mpeg4 compression. Their new IRDs such as the DSR-4530 and DSR-4550 support it. As for authorization, when the Weather Channel authorized my DSR-4530, it went through them. Powervi is the same with broadcasters, I think AFARTS is a bit different. But, Powervu and DCII are still competing. I wish it would go back to the old days where you had to purchase a subscription from each channel.

> As for authorization, when the Weather Channel authorized my DSR-4530, it went through them.

Explain this to me, if you don't mind.

Are you a cable provider or what? How are u getting a DSR-4530 activated?

Are they (The providers) easy to work with?

Do they ask a lot of questions? Are some more difficult then others to deal with?

Specifically Turner

and do you have to send them so much per subscriber that you resell to?

Actually, I just have the Weather Channel as of now, and they are a breeze to work with. Their cost is a fixed price per subscriber outlet with a minimum number of subscriber outlets.

I'll never deal with Turner or ESPN/Disney. Their prices are through the roof.

Actually, I just have the Weather Channel as of now, and they are a breeze to work with. Their cost is a fixed price per subscriber outlet with a minimum number of subscriber outlets.

I'll never deal with Turner or ESPN/Disney. Their prices are through the roof.

What are the cost per subscriber to deal with the weather channel? Also do you have a ballpark on Turner or Disney?

If they deal on a very small scale there is no reason they can't deal with NPS.

It still looks like HBO HD is still on Galaxy 13. At least that is what TSReader is showing. They haven't turned the signal off yet. Just 4dtv authorizations.:(

There probably just cleaning house and at this point forcing the cable affiliates left to update now. In the mean time they made a business decision to quit paying the ACC's tier bit fee's for consumer access to those channels. Seems quite a few programmers don't want to pay those fee's anymore for us. Gotta wonder how much Comcast is ripping them off for those fees. :mad: Love to be privy to all the industry prices.

BTW just checked HBO HD on G9-118 and 120 they are still there. 120 was in preview mode for a few minutes between flicks. If you go to W5 and hang out there for a while they will map back in. The maps on HITS are the old ones and have not been updated yet. I wonder which generic will get them didn't do my homework for that yet.

BTW just checked HBO HD on G9-118 and 120 they are still there. 120 was in preview mode for a few minutes between flicks. If you go to W5 and hang out there for a while they will map back in. The maps on HITS are the old ones and have not been updated yet. I wonder which generic will get them didn't do my homework for that yet.

Interesting. Being subscribed to HBO 4DTV for the HD only, I was so ticked that on the day it went down that I dialed up the generic I thought would map properly: CE-280-299 (5150 - 3900 = 1250). Now this is a V transponder in the generic, but as my 920 can be slaved off my FTA receiver, I simply had the FTA receiver send the +18V to my switches. I never found anything, although I knew from the spectrum analyzer that something was still there.

What are the cost per subscriber to deal with the weather channel? Also do you have a ballpark on Turner or Disney?

If they deal on a very small scale there is no reason they can't deal with NPS.

I'm not sure what Turner or Disney's prices are. I'd bet they are around $1000 to $1500 per year for 100 subscriber outlets. Weather Channel is less than $1000 per year for 100 subscriber outlets. NPS can add any channel they want, they just need to fork over the cash.

I'm not sure what Turner or Disney's prices are. I'd bet they are around $1000 to $1500 per year for 100 subscriber outlets. Weather Channel is less than $1000 per year for 100 subscriber outlets. NPS can add any channel they want, they just need to fork over the cash.

But NPS would rather not pay what the programmers want, then lie to us and say the programmers won't deal with them. NPS got too big and figure they can call the shots. That may be one thing but they shouldn't lie to there subscriber base. They should offer a high priced channel package with just certain ones in it (Turners, Disney, ESPN) for those who are willing to pay. Im sure there would be more than 100 takers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)