End of Contract

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Maineiac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 12, 2005
In June I will complete my 2 year commitment with Direct. I have 2 HDDVR and 2 HD receivers with choice extra package and just the IFC package with no premium packages. Would I be saving any money by requesting the Genie to retain my business?

End of contract? Consider yourself LUCKY!

I'm counting down the days until my DTV contract ends (long ways to go) so I can bolt. I can honestly say that I have not been impressed with DTV's equipment (sluggish, buggy, glitch, etc) and their prices keep going up. In my case, it's not worth it.

I will say that they do have great customer service but when my contract runs out, I'll be switching to OTA + Apple TV.

End of contract? Consider yourself LUCKY!

I'm counting down the days until my DTV contract ends (long ways to go) so I can bolt. I can honestly say that I have not been impressed with DTV's equipment (sluggish, buggy, glitch, etc) and their prices keep going up. In my case, it's not worth it.

I will say that they do have great customer service but when my contract runs out, I'll be switching to OTA + Apple TV.

This doesn't answer the OP's question at all.

OP, it's your call. I have 3 HDDVRS and being I install genie/client systems all day it seems like its different for everybody. If its just you and your wife then switching prolly wouldn't be bad but I'd recommended keeping an HDDVR just so you have the extra space and the second receiver in case the genie goes bad. As for money, you may be able to swing some good deals by asking for them. It all matters on the CSR, tenure, and bill standings with them. Call them and see what happens, and good luck! Keep us in the loop what they offer

you can ask for a genie. i did, not only did i get it, but i got discounts
i replaced a reciever with it, and kept my other hd-dvr

Getting the Genie will not save you any money, however, you might be able to get some discounts along with the Genie.

Ahh, but which Genie will you get? There's a reason why "D" is replacing the HR34 with the HR44 already. Assuming you're looking at the Genie and the Hopper then you have a lot of home work to do. Check out the Hopper thread and the Genie thread. Hopper has three tuners and the option of a OTA attachment. Genie has five tuners. Hopper will let you turn on and off a AVR and the Genie won't. Both went overboard in designing their new guides (too busy). Hopper will let you integrate a EHD and increase your hard drive space (via USB) while the Genie will by-pass the internal hard drive and only let you use the EHD (via eSATA). IMO the Genie (HR44) has a way cooler looking remote has a smaller foot print, is wireless, has an external fan and just looks nicer. From a strictly negative point of view, both have drawbacks that could have easily been eliminated. Both have some brilliant features and both have some head scratching omissions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)