English FA Cup on Dish PPV May 19th?

tfultz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
I'm not seeing a listing for this at all on the PPV sports page:mad:

Anyone know if this is going to be Setanta only or will DISH be able to pick it up?

Not having the Setanta Sports option is going to make me move to D* next season. I, and many others, are willing to pay the $14.95/month for it...Just make it available to us.

Should be available on dish PPV for $24.95 .. I agree with the Setanta comment though. Having it on ITVN is good .. but I'd be quite happy to give my money to E* instead if they ever decide that this channel will be worth carrying.

edit - i just logged on to my account ... it is available right there on my "whats on -> Pay-per-view -> Sports" tab ... only $15.95 .. sounds like a heckuva deal to me .. wonder why so cheap ?

edit - i just logged on to my account ... it is available right there on my "whats on -> Pay-per-view -> Sports" tab ... only $15.95 .. sounds like a heckuva deal to me .. wonder why so cheap ?

They must've heard us complaining... I looked this morning under PPV>Sports and it wasn't there:rolleyes: It's there now $15.95

Thanks Dish...Now get us Setanta and I won't complain for at least a week

Dish wants to carry Setanta, and Setanta wants to be on Dish.
A deal was not able to be made prior to the August start of the European soccer season, and then Distant Networks, NASCAR and MLB undoubtedly became priorities for Dish.
However, Dish has previously added many $15 international channels with smaller subscriber bases, so it seems likely they would add this one.
The new catalyst that will probably make the deal happen soon, is that the programmers whose product is shown on Setanta are now lobbying Setanta and Dish to make a deal.
I think that Dish will probably try to piggyback on the hoopla over David Beckham coming to the US to play soccer... that will be in July, so August 1st makes a lot of sense to me.

Source please??
=
Setanta Works Toward Distribution on DISH, Comcast, etc.
Submitted by admincms on Sat, 2007-04-07 09:49. Last updated Sat, 2007-04-07 10:15.
Editorial | Personal Blog | TV Info
Editorial by Rob de Santos, AFANA Chairman

Perhaps the most common complaint that AFANA gets about the TV coverage these days is from fans whose TV provider is not DirecTV: "I don't/can't/won't get DirecTV, so the coverage is no good to me until it is on DISH Network/Comcast/etc."

We understand that and very well. It affects the majority of our own officers, volunteers, web staff, and journalists based in the USA and Canada (believe it or not). It was our strategic judgment over a year ago that the deal for live coverage on Setanta with taped coverage on MHz represented the best chance for the future of the sport in North America. So far, based on the new long term TV deals with Setanta and MHz, our beliefs have been born out. However, we made that judgment a year ago with the knowledge that for this to work, eventually both channels had to expand their distribution. Patience was essential since distribution talks between content providers (e.g. Setanta) and distribution outlets (i.e. cable, satellite, and now internet providers) are notoriously difficult and often lengthy. Given the unusual nature of both channels marketing and distribution strategies, it was likely to be even harder than usual. Fans of footy aren't patient and we've heard from you loudly over the past year.

The good news is that things are likely to improve and soon. AFANA has maintained a periodic dialog with both Setanta and MHz over their distribution and we've remained convinced that that both management teams are committed to wider distribution. Recently, I had an exchange with Setanta and the gist of the situation is that by this summer, it could get better quickly. So we've added this to our TV FAQ now: Setanta tells AFANA that they are still negotiating, and are hopeful they can close on distribution by the (Northern) summer, meaning June or July. Their spokesperson said, "Setanta is doing absolutely anything they can to gain this distribution, it would be great, if our AFL fans also continue contacting their local DISH & Comcast provider to request for Setanta. This would give us the added push for them to close a deal faster. ... if we make it on Comcast by the summer, it would most probably kick off in Chicago and New England first, and for DISH it'll be national. The main driver, outside from Setanta gunning for this, would be the fans contacting their local operators and making the request [for the channel]."

So your patience as a fan may soon be rewarded.... OK, so I can hear the comments now.... but I have Cox cable or Time Warner or {fill in the blank}. Yes, and you are not forgotten. It will continue to take time for all the pieces to fall into place. Not everyone who wants Setanta Sports will be able to subscribe by the end of this season. We wish it was otherwise, but all we can do is be patient, encourage you to contact your cable company and Setanta and keep pushing. In the meantime, if you have a broadband connection, consider trying ITVN. For many, though by no means all, it works and works well.

For viewers who would like to get MHz, I will have an addition to this editorial/blog entry in a few days with an update on their situation.

AFANA is working to make this good for all footy fans and more, much more is coming soon. Stay tuned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts